• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

mattf

Great news on the new small case for the 2-channel! I have hoped to get one of your amps for some time. I would use a DAC to connect a Raspberry Pi for Roon and an optical to the TV. I have been searching high and low for a DAC with a trigger out. There are a few... like the Okto, but the trigger outputs only 5V. I have been reading about creative people using USB power from their DACs to control amplifiers, but that would be 5V as well.

There are things called "buck/boost converters" that can up the voltage (by lowering the current) of a DC power source. It might work. AND, you might be able to us a gizmo attached to the Pi to send the signal rather than a hard-to-find DAC that supports it. You can look at SparkFun or AdaFruit for these kinds of things. (I'm not an electronics expert).

Also, I'm not sure that these triggers really require the full 12v; it might just work with 5. I think it just looks for "anything" on there... I'm sure this varies by manufacturer.

(That's my goal: to eventually have the triggers happen via software on a Pi.)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Lancastrian

Just got my Buckeye NC252MP build in a Ghent case yesterday... had it cranked up last night. Sounds absolutely fantastic. I had what, at one time, was a well regarded receiver amp in my Anthem MRX-510. I always thought it sounded pretty decent but... nope. No, it was never good. The HypeX absolutely blows it away. Night and day difference.

Great transaction. Thanks a bunch.

What preamp are you using? I ask because I'll be using an Arcam AVR300 when my amp arrives, but don't know how good a match it will be. I don't stream (yet) so if I need to upgrade I may be looking for a suitable preamp that has at least two inputs.

russelms

Can you do a 3-chan 502/520 for a LCR setup?

I would like to offload from a Denon X6700h where the LCR are 4-ohm power hungry speakers and the remaining 4 surrounds and 6 ceilings will be 8-ohms. Thanks

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can you do a 3-chan 502/520 for a LCR setup?

I would like to offload from a Denon X6700h where the LCR are 4-ohm power hungry speakers and the remaining 4 surrounds and 6 ceilings will be 8-ohms. Thanks
I don't carry the single channel modules, but there is no performance hit or difference of getting a 4 channel amp and only using 3 channels (that's what I do with my 4 channel 502 powering my LCR). The price difference if I offered 3 channel builds vs 4 channels is actually negligible so for my limited inventory space, opted to stick with the 252's and 502's only.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Here it is! The 2 channel case with the logo. All of my older 12" cases are now sold so every 2 channel order going forward will be these (the larger 4 and 6/8 channel cases are in the works which will also have the logo).

Attachments

• 2 channel interior.JPG
    2 channel interior.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 394
  • 2 channel front.JPG
    2 channel front.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 2 channel rear.JPG
    2 channel rear.JPG
    509.8 KB · Views: 393

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here it is! The 2 channel case with the logo. All of my older 12" cases are now sold so every 2 channel order going forward will be these (the larger 4 and 6/8 channel cases are in the works which will also have the logo).

Looks great!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes- that's a nice logo and a clean looking build. Look forward to receiving my new amp.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Now that all of the case re-designs are done/in the hands of my manufacturer and I'm back on track with builds/inventory, my final major project is a website. I'm waiting until I have good quality images of all the new cases and builds and hope to have it up and running by May.

temps

What preamp are you using? I ask because I'll be using an Arcam AVR300 when my amp arrives, but don't know how good a match it will be. I don't stream (yet) so if I need to upgrade I may be looking for a suitable preamp that has at least two inputs.
I'm still using the MRX-510 and just running the preamp outs to the Buckeye. I really like Anthem ARC so I'm still happy with it.

geekpryde

Forum Donor

She's a little cutie, isn't she?

geekpryde

Forum Donor
Other than Amir's comments about the Hypex using 3rd tier capacitors, has there been any dissection or testing or longevity claims (good or bad) about what is being used in these modules?

I ask because I am wondering if I should expect to get 1, 5, 10, or 20 years of use from this Class D amp. My only experience is Harman Kardon class A/B and getting ~20 years of life out of them.

geronimo1958

Forum Donor
Would the 6 channel 252 version be a good match with either Denon 3700 or 4700? I plan to run Revel M106's as LR and C205 as the C. Initially the surrounds will be my old B&W CM5's but will eventually be replaced with another pair of M106's.

timetogo

Do the new cases have vent slots in the bottom panel?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would the 6 channel 252 version be a good match with either Denon 3700 or 4700? I plan to run Revel M106's as LR and C205 as the C. Initially the surrounds will be my old B&W CM5's but will eventually be replaced with another pair of M106's.
The 252's would, IMO, be a better match for any AVR where the preout voltage is at or less than 2V (so the Denon's for example). not that you wouldn't get more power out of a 502 even at a lower voltage, but the 252's are also enough power for most.

krott5333

I've had my Buckeye NC252MP for about a week now and I'm loving it. Sounds great, very clean, more power than I'll ever need while powering a pair of ELAC dbr62's.

I wasn't patient enough to wait for the new cases with the cool logo, but it's all good.

Top Bottom