• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a colocated music/HT setup (separated systems, but sharing some speakers/amps), I'd use an external XLR switch box (Nobsound was tested here at ASR and passed with flying colors) with an appropriate RCA-to-XLR cable from the AVR (Hypex specifies the recommended cable config in their "pin 1 problem" app note). I've been running this type of setup for years, works great.

Or one can go the harder route, and add the extra RCA connectors and switches to the Buckeye amp (Hypex also specifies how to do that in the above referenced app note).

IMO the first solution is much easier to implement, easier to use in real life (no reaching back into the rack and fumbling around for switches, or confirming how they are already set on the back of the amp), and more flexible as you are not limiting your selection of available amps to just those with both connections.
Thanks, I'll check that out.

wje

Forum Donor
Are you seeking volunteer beta testers of your amps with this new input board? :D:D

Multicore

Major Contributor
So.....what are peoples opinions on the latchless Neutrik XLR connectors? They have a retention spring so you still need good force to pull them out (they won't just come out on their own).
I'm sure they are great. I use latchless XLR connectors all the time on my MOTU interface.

But I like 1/4 TRS better because smaller, lighter and lower cost.

christr

Hi! Been looking for a new amp for far too long - but nevertheless pretty much settled on a Buckeye amp when I finally take the leap. Because of the lead time I am contemplating a Ghent case build (or two). Besides the obvious differences in case design and lack of 12V trigger - are there any other differences I should know about?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi! Been looking for a new amp for far too long - but nevertheless pretty much settled on a Buckeye amp when I finally take the leap. Because of the lead time I am contemplating a Ghent case build (or two). Besides the obvious differences in case design and lack of 12V trigger - are there any other differences I should know about?
The 12v trigger is the man difference. Internally, wiring is the same (I modify the Ghent cable harness for correct Pin 1 XLR wiring). The Ghent cases are a little higher quality but performance is exactly the same.

However, with the new revisions coming to my amps, there will be more of a difference gap in features (but again, performance will be the same)

SuperDave

I received my Buckeye-built Ghent-cased NC502MP today. It's a stealthy little piece of black metal with an Ncore logo baked in to keep it from being completely generic, 8x12-3/4 (not counting speaker posts) by 3" tall, 9/16" of that being the silver feet. Don't know if that's enough room to stack them; Dylan would know. The pic is the amp perched on one of my CCB-8's, which aren't huge for standmounters.

Hard to believe this little box can throw a kilowatt at a speaker in BTL as long as the impedance is high enough. Even in stereo, I may have 99 problems but amplifier power now isn't one of them. :)

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 181

feynman

I received my Buckeye-built Ghent-cased NC502MP today. It's a stealthy little piece of black metal with an Ncore logo baked in to keep it from being completely generic, 8x12-3/4 (not counting speaker posts) by 3" tall, 9/16" of that being the silver feet. Don't know if that's enough room to stack them; Dylan would know. The pic is the amp perched on one of my CCB-8's, which aren't huge for standmounters.

Hard to believe this little box can throw a kilowatt at a speaker in BTL as long as the impedance is high enough. Even in stereo, I may have 99 problems but amplifier power now isn't one of them. :)

New Buckeye Day all around.

I think we both have a nice weekend ahead of us.

IMG_2431 Large.jpeg

SuperDave

My weekend will have to wait a week, since there are also new speakers coming and this time I want to change the whole thing at once. Only the PC as the source and the subwoofer will continue, new DAC/pre, amp and speakers. And, as I've done with every important new component since I started my audio journey in the late 1970's, the first track played will be Yes' Your Move which I will play at fairly high volume, followed by All Good People for which I won't lower the volume. If you know the track, you'll know what's going to happen. As I've always done it. Baptism by fire, F break-in. It either plays, or it don't.

....although I'll be more cautious when pairing the most powerful amp I've ever owned with the most expensive speakers I've ever bought.

Somewhat. :)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
New Buckeye Day all around.

I think we both have a nice weekend ahead of us.

View attachment 189158
Whoa, wait a minute. You have a perfectly good Dynaco ST-120 right there. How could it get more perfect than that? o_O

I had one of those before it blew up. :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Whoa, wait a minute. You have a perfectly good Dynaco ST-120 right there. How could it get more perfect than that? o_O

I had one of those before it blew up. :facepalm:
You have my attention. Why are there wires wrapped around the power supply caps?
1471086-8bfd42a8-dynaco-st120-rebuilt-and-restored.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That was the "output inductor". The large capacitors were for blocking DC voltage since this amplifier was quasi-complementary.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This is before my time. Very interesting. :D
This was back in the days when (besides having to deal with dinosaurs walking the streets), there were only NPN power transistors which were reliable, so both 'halves' of the amplifier used the same type of transistor, probably 2N3055s (guess from memory). This was one of the first solid state amps on the market and it was praised by J. Gordon Holt in Stereophile. It was a somewhat decent amp, at least for the kid I was at the time.

Schematic

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This was back in the days when (besides having to deal with dinosaurs walking the streets), there were only NPN power transistors which were reliable, so both 'halves' of the amplifier used the same type of transistor, probably 2N3055s (guess from memory). This was one of the first solid state amps on the market and it was praised by J. Gordon Holt in Stereophile. It was a somewhat decent amp, at least for the kid I was at the time.

Schematic
Definitely before my time along with the tube gear... I remember working on a vintage Marantz with quasi-complimentary outputs and DC blocking caps and it fizzled out slowly through the speakers when powered down. I never knew that NPN's where the available part and better transistor for some time.

VanillaGorilla

I received mine a couple of weeks ago. Awesome performance and they pair great with the Aircom T8's. Heavy listening with fans on low they run about 3°F over room temp. I'm very happy with the performance but my wife doesn't care for the pictures hanging on the walls being crooked now.
20220220_090125.jpg

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The new input board and LED board seem to be working great! Hoping to have a full prototype unit assembled for official testing (similar to what Amir would do for his reviews). At that point, if all things are cleared, 2ch builds will be the first to incorporate the boards, followed by 4ch and then 6/8ch.

The new 8ch NC502 is officially open for pre-orders as well.

snaimpally

I received my Buckeye 2 channel amp several weeks back. Using it with a Topping Pre90 and BMR monitor speakers. Excellent sound - very clean. I don't play stuff very loud but I am a firm beleiver in having headroom available.

Top Bottom