• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
And if you can't just vent it straight up because of other components in the rack, direct the airflow out the back and away from your seated area if the rack is in your room. :)

gazolas

And if you can't just vent it straight up because of other components in the rack, direct the airflow out the back and away from your seated area if the rack is in your room. :)
There won't be anything above them. Yes that is the plan to direct it either towards the back or to the sides...
You don't need to. Air will be drawn in by convection.
And because there are no other slots in the case but on the top plate (just checked some pics), it won't make any difference either...

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Depending on how old the build is, there may not be slots on the bottom. All my builds starting around summer last year had more slots on the sides and bottom being added

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
There won't be anything above them. Yes that is the plan to direct it either towards the back or to the sides...

And because there are no other slots in the case but on the top plate (just checked some pics), it won't make any difference either...
How hot is it getting that you are worried about it?

gazolas

Depending on how old the build is, there may not be slots on the bottom. All my builds starting around summer last year had more slots on the sides and bottom being added
Ok, my bad, just found some pics of the 4 channel amp I took with the case open when I got the amps. The bottom does have slots.
So convection will work as @ryanosaur suggested...
About the 6 channel amp, it is in a 8 channel case with the modules arranged front to back, one next to the other. I don't have pics of that case open though...

gazolas

How hot is it getting that you are worried about it?
Check my previous post. About 54celcius on the top of the case. Quite hot to the touch...
I was listening at relatively low levels, which I know is not the best scenario regarding heat output...but that is what they're usually used at...

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Ok, my bad, just found some pics of the 4 channel amp I took with the case open when I got the amps. The bottom does have slots.
So convection will work as @ryanosaur suggested...
About the 6 channel amp, it is in a 8 channel case with the modules arranged front to back, one next to the other. I don't have pics of that case open though...
I use Aircom units and they work great. They have various ventilation options and a nice feature is the Temperature Sensor display. So you can see the temperature at a glance.

gazolas

I use Aircom units and they work great. They have various ventilation options and a nice feature is the Temperature Sensor display. So you can see the temperature at a glance.
I know about these, I do like them....there was a vendor here in Greece that did import them a while back. They are rather expensive though, and I don't mind building something myself, even if it is simpler...

AdamG

Forum Donor
I know about these, I do like them....there was a vendor here in Greece that did import them a while back. They are rather expensive though, and I don't mind building something myself, even if it is simpler...
Absolutely you can get less expensive cooling systems. A couple of usb computer fans on top will work fine. I used exactly that for years with old amps and AVRs. The Aircoms are just convenient and can automatically adjust the fan speeds based on the current temp readings. All adjustable and automatic. So, yeah lots of different options.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I would expect in the EU market, you can find a USB controller with a temp sensor for cooling solutions similar to the AC Infinity product. Likewise, there is an AC infinity fan that vents to the side rather than pulling air straight through. I would think you may be able to find something similar to that if you look. :)
Here is the AC Infinity fan:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I am not at home now so cannot check, but I cannot remember if the bottom of the case has any slots. The case definitely does not have slots on the front and sides...

I don't want to put a fan on the bottom as well. Only on the top.
As with anything, it will depend on how cool you want your device, how much noise you are willing to get and how much space you have available. Typically an extracting fan that allows hot air to not concentrate is good enough.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
With noctuas you're assured that you'll have a good performance with less noise. If you can build an "extractor", it will work just fine.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've used the ACinfity controllers with their, and Noctua fans. The former are way too noisy for use in a listening room (I use them near the ceiling for room heat removal, but will replace with the large Noctuas when time & ambition permit).
For the audio rack the large Noctuas are nearly perfect - only at the fastest setting am I even slightly aware they are running.
And I've been very impressed with the ACinfinity fan controller - the same module is available in several forms - so perhaps available there?

gazolas

I've used the ACinfity controllers with their, and Noctua fans. The former are way too noisy for use in a listening room (I use them near the ceiling for room heat removal, but will replace with the large Noctuas when time & ambition permit).
For the audio rack the large Noctuas are nearly perfect - only at the fastest setting am I even slightly aware they are running.
And I've been very impressed with the ACinfinity fan controller - the same module is available in several forms - so perhaps available there?
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing about the ACinfinity controllers and noctua fans as well, but I do like a DIY project. So I will most probably try to make an arduino based fan controller. When I have it done I will start a new thread, because I feel we have hijacked Dylan's thread here!...

AdamG

Forum Donor
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing about the ACinfinity controllers and noctua fans as well, but I do like a DIY project. So I will most probably try to make an arduino based fan controller. When I have it done I will start a new thread, because I feel we have hijacked Dylan's thread here!...
Thank you for being Thread topic sensitive. Much appreciated and wish more folks had the same perspective. ;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps , have you considered offering Hypex MP-DSP add-ins for your 4-8 multichannel builds? Apologies if this has been asked before
Not at this time. But who knows where the product lineup will go in the years to come ;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Halfway through August backorders (between both my Purifi and Hypex orders). Flying through them (total of 12 orders filled over the last 5 days). So should be caught up soon.
I am still waiting on an official ETA from Hypex for NC502MP restock but fingers crossed. Will be in touch with those affected if it goes longer than previously discussed.

Anyone with an NC502MP order that has a September ETA or who I had previously emailed about the backorder, I am offering Purifi upgrade options for a very steep discount. Especially those who were getting a 4ch NC502MP for their front LCR, I can offer an upgrade to a 3ch Purifi for an incredible price due to the delays/hassle.

amper42

Major Contributor
Halfway through August backorders (between both my Purifi and Hypex orders). Flying through them (total of 12 orders filled over the last 5 days). So should be caught up soon.
I am still waiting on an official ETA from Hypex for NC502MP restock but fingers crossed. Will be in touch with those affected if it goes longer than previously discussed.

Anyone with an NC502MP order that has a September ETA or who I had previously emailed about the backorder, I am offering Purifi upgrade options for a very steep discount. Especially those who were getting a 4ch NC502MP for their front LCR, I can offer an upgrade to a 3ch Purifi for an incredible price due to the delays/hassle.

Dylan,
Does that mean my 2-channel Purifi order from last week with a quoted 10 week wait time might be available sooner? Thank you!

Top Bottom