• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dylan,
Does that mean my 2-channel Purifi order from last week with a quoted 10 week wait time might be available sooner? Thank you!
Possibly but I won't make any guarantees. It means I'm working hard to get ahead on orders but as we all know, life can happen, etc etc so I won't make any promises of early fulfillment.

Just that my goal is to get to that point

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
According to my build list, all July orders are completed and shipped. I'm banging through August now.

If you want to message me your order details I can make sure there wasn't an error

Royalty12

According to my build list, all July orders are completed and shipped. I'm banging through August now.

If you want to message me your order details I can make sure there wasn't an error
I just sent you an email to the email that was connected to the invoice you sent me.

bobitto

Forum Donor
How wonderful are the amps from Dylan. Hard to explain. I own now two amps 6ch based on 500 Hypex modules and 8ch base on 252 modules. Listen to music everyday and movies every other day. Never had that level of headroom, clarity and dynamics before with class A/B. Thanks Dylan and good luck with your current and future projects. Close to Christmas planning to order stereo amp on Purifi modules for my smaller living room 2.1 setup.

Lone Starr

@ Buckeye Amps
Your amps with the Hypex Nc502mp please me in terms of technology and workmanship extraordinarily well ... great compliments as you build the.
I would like to order a few but I live in Germany and in our country every electrical device should have a CE approval.
Not that I would care, but there is a risk that the devices at our customs make problems and the forwarding is denied.
You have certainly ever shipped to the EU, there have been problems in the past with customs in the EU.
Sorry for the lousy English, this is translated via Goggle. :rolleyes:

Translated with DeepL

bobitto

Forum Donor
@ Buckeye Amps
Your amps with the Hypex Nc502mp please me in terms of technology and workmanship extraordinarily well ... great compliments as you build the.
I would like to order a few but I live in Germany and in our country every electrical device should have a CE approval.
Not that I would care, but there is a risk that the devices at our customs make problems and the forwarding is denied.
You have certainly ever shipped to the EU, there have been problems in the past with customs in the EU.

Translated with DeepL
You need to check Audiophonics, for made in EU, not advertising :)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@ Buckeye Amps

Translated with DeepL
I have shipped multiple times to the EU without issue, yes

CanadianMetal

Hi All, I am new to power amps , so have a number of questions as only used an AVR to power everything till now as I liked the simplicity, but as I now have my forever speakers was thinking I may be leaving some performance on the table ,so am finally considering a separate power amp.

Wanted a minimum of 6 channels for the power amp.

I have a 5.1.4 system

My tower & center speakers are 93 efficiency and are Boston Acoustics : VR3 Towers and VR12 or VR14 Center

I have 4 quadraphonic supertowers ( each supertower is made of a pair of stacked floorstanding speakers that are 8ohm, but now act as 4 ohm as are wired in parallel)

My Denon AVR-4400H will be used for the pre-outs for the 5 bed layer channels to the power amp.

1) I believe the Denon has 1.2V pre-outs is that OK for the Buckeye , would I still get the rated output ? or would it be less (if less than how much less) ?

2) As My tower & center speakers are 93 efficiency, would I hear differences in sound between the 252 and 502 , 6 channel amps ? (Is it worth spending the extra $400 in my case) I would be OK if it will actually improve my sound or experience

3) How does this amp sound compared to an Anthem Power amp ?

4) My Denon only has unbalanced RCA outputs , would this still work well with the Buckeye ?
I presume I would have to find some unbalanced to XLR cables ? Any that you could recommend ?
Or is this Denon /Buckeye combination not recommended ?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Adding an FAQ section to the website, any suggestions for common questions I should answer (either for my amps specifically, or for general audio questions for using an amp in setups, etc).

Already going to cover using RCA to XLR cables, gain settings (for the Purifi), pre-out voltage for receivers.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think your Q&A's you already are covering are great. Maybe also pre-out voltages for DACs as well?

I have a minor suggestion for future designs. I have a setup with a DAC to the Buckeye and also a headphone amp but no preamp. My XLR outputs from the DAC go to the Buckeye. And the RCA outputs from the DAC go to my headphone amp. Unfortunately, the DAC outputs both to balanced and unbalanced so when I listen to headphones, the auto-on powers on the amp.

Yesterday, I used my headphones (I didn't want to wake my sleeping wife) and was clueless why she was standing at the door. My speakers were on and I didn't know it !!!

I had to reach in the back of the amp and turn it off. So, I suggest a future power button in the front. My A/B amp the Buckeye replaced had a "sleep" button in the front and the main A/C power button in the rear. That would also work. Or the Auto on slider in the front would also work.

But in the mean time, I learned my lesson for headphones.

simplywyn

I just want to say - the Buckeye Amp has been completely flawless. It's the most boring product in my chain. It just works, almost Apple like.

I've returned my PA5 twice, I've had to return my D50... my SMSL M200 stopped working half way through the year.

Buckeye amp has been ON since I got it a year ago and I've forgotten it even exists in my system.

yllanos

I think your Q&A's you already are covering are great. Maybe also pre-out voltages for DACs as well?

I have a minor suggestion for future designs. I have a setup with a DAC to the Buckeye and also a headphone amp but no preamp. My XLR outputs from the DAC go to the Buckeye. And the RCA outputs from the DAC go to my headphone amp. Unfortunately, the DAC outputs both to balanced and unbalanced so when I listen to headphones, the auto-on powers on the amp.

Yesterday, I used my headphones (I didn't want to wake my sleeping wife) and was clueless why she was standing at the door. My speakers were on and I didn't know it !!!

I had to reach in the back of the amp and turn it off. So, I suggest a future power button in the front. My A/B amp the Buckeye replaced had a "sleep" button in the front and the main A/C power button in the rear. That would also work. Or the Auto on slider in the front would also work.

But in the mean time, I learned my lesson for headphones.

Maybe you can buy a smart power plug, then connect amp to it. Whenever you need to turn on/off the amp, you can do it from the app on your phone, so no need to reach all the way to the back. I do this for my whole stereo, works well.

wav3form

Hi all... I expect to get beat up for this question but I'm on the search for a Class D amp for my Kef R3. I think the Buckeye products are on my short list for sure based on what I see on the forum here. Anyway, can someone make a Buckeye amp recommendation for me? I'm not that great at picking out amps and I don't want my ignorance to keep me from having a good experience. I'm currently running the R3 with my Rogue Cronus III tube amp. I'd like to just try something digital with good current for some variety. The only other digital amps I'm looking at are the Hegel H190 and the Yamaha AS2200. TY

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all... I expect to get beat up for this question but I'm on the search for a Class D amp for my Kef R3. I think the Buckeye products are on my short list for sure based on what I see on the forum here. Anyway, can someone make a Buckeye amp recommendation for me? I'm not that great at picking out amps and I don't want my ignorance to keep me from having a good experience. I'm currently running the R3 with my Rogue Cronus III tube amp. I'd like to just try something digital with good current for some variety. The only other digital amps I'm looking at are the Hegel H190 and the Yamaha AS2200. TY
If you can get a Purifi amp and it's end game.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
An NC252MP model would be similar in power to what you have (actually a little more but not significant). You could step up to an NC502MP model for more headroom and future growth. Depends on your budget; the extra $200 for the NC502MP might buy peace-of-mind but chances are you don't really need it if your present amp is loud enough for you. Purifi has better measured performance; not sure you would notice in the real world.

FWIWFM - Don

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the long an more complete version of it. :)

wav3form

Thanks, I'll look at some of the Purifi and Hypex based amps. My R3s get plenty loud with the Cronus but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not having more power for them to feed on. For me it's not about playing at loud volume but having the headroom for the speaker to rely on. If that makes any sense...

Top Bottom