• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt S400 Speaker Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You are correct and what decades of research found is that most people do not prefer a truly flat responce, mostly because we dont have a calibration tool for the human ear which is not linear in terms of how it interprets frequencies. I like this forum you guys do a great job, but why not take in to account some other factors such as people like myself who has had years of experience. In terms of the measurements you took even mads stated it was odd looking. I dont have the equipment you have but I have through rew and dirac changes from when I first set them up to now. There are very few endgame speakers and the ones that are probably could not be afforded by 89 percent of the people on this forum. I agree Buchardts aren't endgame but they are a great speaker for the price for people that enjoy listening to music they love for long periods of time. I have parapalegia so ihave plenty of time. I love the Kef R3 as well and I can budget about 5k a year to my hobby. The kef eventually gets tiring in the treble responce and after years of analyzing sound i just want to enjoy it. The Buchardts allow that and for all practical purposes are full range. I will say I still miss my Vienna Acoustics Beethoven's. That's my 89cents and again no disrespect meant in any way.
There is a lot disrespect and presumptions in your post. I suggest reading for a while before jumping in with assertions about who believes what. And what we know or don't know. You can start by reading this article I published years ago: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/target-room-response-and-cinema-x-curve.10/

Remember, you are not the first or the last person who is bothered by a review not matching their notions of fidelity. We post objective, verifiable data that you can read and analyze. That data demonstrated that there were production changes that were not disclosed that caused my measurements to be different than the company's. So all the consternations about variations for measurements were for not if you paid attention to what was written.

As to your experience, unless you tell us your name and formal research background in this topic, it doesn't mean anything. Every audiophile says they have years of experience. Listening to music and playing with gear is not "experience" that contradicts objective data. We would not exist if audiophile experiences were trustworthy. They simply are not because they don't study the research and perform proper evaluation of gear.

The S400 measures well so it is a good speaker anyway. So not sure why you would be bent out of shape over the review and assessment.

Finally, as I keep saying, Mads runs the company. He is not the designer or engineer behind this speaker. He is relaying what those designers are saying but we have no ability to directly question them. And again, the conflict is resolved anyway as our measurements showed design changes and were therefore correct in overall assesment.

If you are impatient and skipping over all of back and forth, it is understood. But please don't make up conclusions and slap us in the face with them as you did. Take it easy, let it all sink in. There is incredible amount of knowledge and consensus in this forum. Running foul of them will cause you a bloody nose to be sure. :)

Hattie

There is a lot disrespect and presumptions in your post. I suggest reading for a while before jumping in with assertions about who believes what. And what we know or don't know. You can start by reading this article I published years ago: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/target-room-response-and-cinema-x-curve.10/

Remember, you are not the first or the last person who is bothered by a review not matching their notions of fidelity. We post objective, verifiable data that you can read and analyze. That data demonstrated that there were production changes that were not disclosed that caused my measurements to be different than the company's. So all the consternations about variations for measurements were for not if you paid attention to what was written.

As to your experience, unless you tell us your name and formal research background in this topic, it doesn't mean anything. Every audiophile says they have years of experience. Listening to music and playing with gear is not "experience" that contradicts objective data. We would not exist if audiophile experiences were trustworthy. They simply are not because they don't study the research and perform proper evaluation of gear.

The S400 measures well so it is a good speaker anyway. So not sure why you would be bent out of shape over the review and assessment.

Finally, as I keep saying, Mads runs the company. He is not the designer or engineer behind this speaker. He is relaying what those designers are saying but we have no ability to directly question them. And again, the conflict is resolved anyway as our measurements showed design changes and were therefore correct in overall assesment.

If you are impatient and skipping over all of back and forth, it is understood. But please don't make up conclusions and slap us in the face with them as you did. Take it easy, let it all sink in. There is incredible amount of knowledge and consensus in this forum. Running foul of them will cause you a bloody nose to be sure. :)
I again am neither happy nor unhappy with the review I was just helping people who asked and getting people to see the whole picture. I appreciate everyone's knowledge but remember the "people" voted Trump in office so collectively we may not be that smart. It was actually you who in some veined attempt at being alpha felt the need to criticize me based on nothingas all I ever did was express my opinions, not once unlike yourself did I assert that I am the Audio God and I know all attitude, perhaps you should chill. In the end I am a grown man who knows better than to be offended by a forum, and a person who has conflicting views. In all this you never mentioned what instrument you play.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I again am neither happy nor unhappy with the review I was just helping people who asked and getting people to see the whole picture. I appreciate everyone's knowledge but remember the "people" voted Trump in office so collectively we may not be that smart. It was actually you who in some veined attempt at being alpha felt the need to criticize me based on nothingas all I ever did was express my opinions, not once unlike yourself did I assert that I am the Audio God and I know all attitude, perhaps you should chill. In the end I am a grown man who knows better than to be offended by a forum, and a person who has conflicting views. In all this you never mentioned what instrument you play.
Please keep your politics in a place made for it.

Hattie

You really hate facts
Look I'm not trying to anger anyone but you are extremely arrogant. I have had pleasant chats with everyone else. You will be ok you just need some life experience.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Look I'm not trying to anger anyone but you are extremely arrogant. I have had pleasant chats with everyone else. You will be ok you just need some life experience.
We don't speak this way in this forum. Do not get personal or bring politics into the forum.

Thread ban issued for a week. Please change your ways or the banning will be for the entire forum.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I again am neither happy nor unhappy with the review I was just helping people who asked and getting people to see the whole picture. I appreciate everyone's knowledge but remember the "people" voted Trump in office so collectively we may not be that smart. It was actually you who in some veined attempt at being alpha felt the need to criticize me based on nothingas all I ever did was express my opinions, not once unlike yourself did I assert that I am the Audio God and I know all attitude, perhaps you should chill.
I am the alpha for the forum as the administrator. My job is to keep the forum professional and stop people like yourself from getting personal and attacking others.

In the end I am a grown man who knows better than to be offended by a forum, and a person who has conflicting views. In all this you never mentioned what instrument you play.
The keyboard ... on the computer....

ezra_s

Forum Donor

this is when I noticed you are one of those who don't know when to stop..

--

edit: ban well deserved. I was enjoying the debate up until now..

--

I am sure there is more debate about these speakers, please everyone don't stop.

Bamyasi

This thread so far has been extremely entertaining read I should say. May I suggest to Amir not posting his ban reasons in public though? This makes an impression that you continue to argue with the opponent who has already been gagged. Simple ban statement would be enough and then everyone can argue via PM if s/he desires.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This thread so far has been extremely entertaining read I should say. May I suggest to Amir not posting his ban reasons in public though? This makes an impression that you continue to argue with the opponent who has already been gagged.
I appreciate your point but membership needs to be informed so that they don't keep reporting offending posts. And that we do enforce the rules here.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
This thread so far has been extremely entertaining read I should say. May I suggest to Amir not posting his ban reasons in public though? This makes an impression that you continue to argue with the opponent who has already been gagged. Simple ban statement would be enough and then everyone can argue via PM if s/he desires.

perhaps that should be debated elsewhere, this thread is about the S400, let's stick to it.

This thread is a jewel, not only we get objective measures but also feedback from the manufacturer and and enriching back and forth, this is priceless! I am quite thankful for both, amirm measurements and comments and Mads feedback about them. I wish every product had as much detailed information as the one that can be extracted here, not only about the speakers but the test tools used to measure them and everyone's contribution debating about them, so please, let's not get off track any more.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still hate chocolate and prefer vanilla.
Ah, but what exactly do "chocolate" and "vanilla" mean? I mean there's special batch natural french vanilla handmade at the farmer's market, infused with lavender, YUM. Then there's vanilla ice milk crud where once upon a time, a bottle of vanilla was seen somewhere in the factory. As for chocolate, there's dark chocolate rum gelato at this little place in San Diego's gaslamp district, and there's stuff whose only connection to natural chocolate is Dark Tan Artificial Carcinogen #666.

If a chocolate scoop and a vanilla scoop both are melting in the forest, what is the dynamic range?

xarkkon

Take my eyes off this thread for a week and this has blown up quite a bit. Ha!

Time to bring it back to the S400 and please allow me to dumb down the conversation a bit with a completely noob question.

I'm just about to buy some No Rez or Sonic Barrier for my next DIY project. Would getting some extra for my S400 help with the lack of bracing?

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm just about to buy some No Rez or Sonic Barrier for my next DIY project. Would getting some extra for my S400 help with the lack of bracing?
Doubtful. It remains to be proven that the lack of bracing actually matters. Or if it did, what the correct solution would be. Personaly I like constrained layer damping. Just adding mass is rarely the right answer. It could just as easily make things worse. The actual energy dissipation in things like No Rez is dubious at best IMHO. Sonic barrier doesn't claim to damp panels at all. Quantitative numbers for these products are remarkably thin on the ground. They are remarkably pricey for something with no physics to back them up.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I am the alpha for the forum as the administrator. My job is to keep the forum professional and stop people like yourself from getting personal and attacking others.

Capture.JPG

xarkkon

Doubtful. It remains to be proven that the lack of bracing actually matters. Or if it did, what the correct solution would be. Personaly I like constrained layer damping. Just adding mass is rarely the right answer. It could just as easily make things worse. The actual energy dissipation in things like No Rez is dubious at best IMHO. Sonic barrier doesn't claim to damp panels at all. Quantitative numbers for these products are remarkably thin on the ground. They are remarkably pricey for something with no physics to back them up.
that's helpful feedback, thanks! hmm.... if i do get some simple measuring tools one day i might give it a try to see a before and after. with / without no res, and maybe adding in some small diagonal braces or a dowel.

Top Bottom