• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Audio SUB10

having exposed woofer sticking out and so close to the floor could only be designed by a no-kid and no-pet person

Would this sub work with the WiSA enabled MiniDSP Flex HT with Dirac Live?
I can't think of any other WiSA hub that offers good room correction and PEQ.

Would this sub work with the WiSA enabled MiniDSP Flex HT with Dirac Live?
It could. Buchardt A500/700 already do work with other WISA preamps. But not sure until we have official specs
I didn’t get tagged when a new subwoofer was released?

:confused:
It's not yet realised, not even officially listed. Please focus on convincing Erin to test it instead. :p

It's not yet realised, not even officially listed.
Stand corrected. It just has been listed :

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS-
AmplifierHypex 400 Watt RMS / 1200 Watt peak Class-D
DSP settingsApp controlled settings for Room correction and more
Woofer10" Custom long stroke woofer.
Analog inputs2 x XLR & RCA
Satellite outputs2 x XLR & RCA
Digital inputsWiSA 24 bit / 96khz. Can be paired across brands on Dolby and DTS
Variable Phase and LevelYes, including variable distance setting for delay via app
Variable Low Pass Filter40-150hz or Flat to 1000hz
Frequency response20-300hz +/- 1dB
Cabinet19mm / 0.74" MDF with reinforced woofer mounting
Measurements (h x w x d)490 x 320 x 160 mm
Input voltage100-240 Volts AC auto adjusting (EU, US, UK power cords incl.)
Weight14 kg
Warranty5 years on woofer and cabinet
2 years on amp module
AccessoriesFront grille, feets, 90 degree angled powercord

Last edited:
490 x 320 x 160 mm
That's 25l, really small for a 10" sub.
For comparison:
SVS 3000 Micro: 22.4l
Neumann KH 750: 44.4l

It seems to have a balanced crossover built in too which very few non-studio subs have. With the DSP functions and wireless connectivity and all, this seems a pretty good deal actually. If it gets anywhere close to its specs which would require 15.5mm excursion. Quite a bit for a 10" woofer but not out of the ordinary.

having exposed woofer sticking out and so close to the floor could only be designed by a no-kid and no-pet person

I agree, but the specs clearly indicate a grille ships with this sub. So the issue is really that they didn't take proper pictures.

That's 25l, really small for a 10" sub.
For comparison:
SVS 3000 Micro: 22.4l
Neumann KH 750: 44.4l

OTOH, Leon and Triad both have subs (using the SB Acoustics SB26 shallow woofer) that are around a quarter the internal volume of this sub - and, speaking as someone who uses both, they work shockingly well! Both I think are considerably more expensive than this sub, which considering the price of Hypex modules alone seems very reasonable to me. (Leon AAROS, for example, stickers at 4k USD for a single amped version, or $2800 for just the driver in cabinet.) I do much prefer having the amp outside the cabinet (Leon and Triad both do in their slim subs) but I get their idea of a single unit that can go anywhere a power cord will fit as well. Overall this sub looks like a really compelling package - the kind of thing that, in multiples of 4, could be very satisfactory (though I don't think WISA can address four individual processing subs - or can it?) in output, extension, and fidelity.

I can't take this "pre-order" thing serious. It's a cash grab trick.
Correction - it's a cash FLOW trick. Take the orders up front and use the money to pay your factory for the inventory. It's actually great for smaller brands who don't necessarily have $250K-$1M sitting around. For brands like this it will tend to keep the cost down... otherwise they'll generally have to pay high rates for short term loans, which in turn figure into the prices of their goods.

I know it's been abused as a marketing and sometimes even a scam tactic, and you may find it annoying... but overall I'd say the popular acceptance of pre-orders and "crowdfunding" has been a major boon for smaller brands across the board.

If you trust the brand enough, pre-order, if not, don't - but I don't think there's anything dishonest or greedy about it. The realities of cashflow for small audio companies can be very harsh, speaking from experience. It can also take some risk out of developing new products, which I think is ultimately good for the consumer.

My consumer's POV on the actual sub: It's a little pricey but as an owner of some KC62s I should probably keep my stupid mouth shut. Looks appealing!

Last edited:
How's it a cash grab? The customer saves €150 and still gets the standard 45day trial after which you can return it for a minimal fee.
I didn't say it was. The practice is shady. I did not say Buchardt is abusing it.

Correction - it's a cash FLOW trick.

That is the intention. When it's abused it becomes a cash GRAB trick. Like it has been abused in start-ups, kickstarter and the video game industry for years.
If you can't back up a mass production as a company you should perhaps make small batches and not make your customers into an interest free bank loan.

What is it about a fool and his money..

darn, if it releases 2 years earlier I will definitely get this one, the very slim profile fits my need perfectly! but too bad got the 7040A already and budget is a bit tight to change for no reason

You’re a hard lot to please :)

I don’t need one but am impressed that they’re actually considering how to make these things more suitable for a multi use living room. It’s about time.
What people need to remember about Buchardt Audio is that they got their start designing speakers for the small rooms of many homes, including the Danish homes there. So this sub makes a lot of sense for them.

95 dB at 20Hz is a lot considering the small enclosure size. That's on par with Rythmik's L12, though you pay a premium for the slim form factor. I have my doubts that the stated output is within the distortion limits of CTA-2010 though, so you wouldn't compare these two subs unless you had a proper measurement.

Like it has been abused in start-ups, kickstarter and the video game industry for years.
If you can't back up a mass production as a company you should perhaps make small batches and not make your customers into an interest free bank loan.

What is it about a fool and his money..
Well, there is often no such thing as "small batch" in the audio world. In many cases, either you buy thousands of units of something, or you take a hike.

Especially in situations like this, where they've customized the driver, you can't just buy a handful, ship a few units, and scrape together a bigger order later. The factory won't set up your line to make 63 drivers and then tear it down again.

It may also surprise you to learn that it's not always easy to get a loan from a bank, regardless of interest rate.

And Buchardt, as is typical, are offering a discount for pre-ordering. So if you want to characterize it as a loan (which is fair), it's not interest-free.

Again, if you're not sure about the manufacturer or the product, don't pre-order. Nobody's got a gun to anyone's head. But I object to your characterization of pre-orders and crowdfunding as poor or illegitimate business practices... without them, a lot of small brands would find it much harder to launch new products.

I agree that pre-ordering just to get the thing as soon as possible is dumb. It's especially dumb in the gaming world. But there are good reasons for companies with physical goods to do it. The discount plus buchardt's reputation plus the return policy means maybe pre-ordering this speaker isn't totally dumb.

You give them money before they have actually delivered what they promise. If the product is bad they already got the money.

I guess that would be true if they didn't have the return policy...

(though I don't think WISA can address four individual processing subs - or can it?)
Judging by the Flex HT manual, WiSa does not seem to have such a crutch intrinsically as you can freely assign WiSa speakers to any of the 8 outputs.
The Flex HT is surely the only device that can do it, though.

Does is come with a high pass filter? The specs only mention a low pass filter. I currently feed my Kef KC62 using the line out from the WiiM Pro Plus and then use the high pass filter settings on the sub to only feed the amp 80hz+.

Also, it mentions room correction but not parametric eq. So what is the room correction capability if it doesn't have parametric eq?

Also, would a 10" sub be too much for a smallish 3.6m x 3.6m room? I tried the SVS SB2000 Pro in my room and it created some very big modes. The Kef KC62 and SVS 3000 Micro had no such issues. But I'm assuming I could have resolved that had I had my mic and REW at the time?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom