• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Break from Tekton Thread

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The damp weather in the UK is good for the bluebells. (My phone photo doesn't do the swathes of colour justice).
1000026486.jpg

KellenVancouver

Both insulting and inaccurate :)
Truly, generalizations about any culture can be called insulting and inaccurate. However, one can at least make generalizations about "national dishes." For better or worse, England is associated with fish and chips. Last time I was in London (last year) I visited a wonderful 18th century pub called Rising Sun (the one on Windmill Street West). The service was impeccable and the clientele pretty much the same, with both interior and exterior design exuding English ambiance. So naturally I ordered fish and chips in the spirit of being immersed in Englishness. Oh my, that was a mistake. Mind, I'm not faulting Rising Sun. I'm sure they cooked the food exactly as it is to be cooked, but that greasy dish was very difficult to stomach. Will return to London in a couple days and, guaranteed, I won't be ordering fish and chips. I will definitely, however, be revisiting the wonderful Rising Sun pub!

CapMan

Major Contributor
So naturally I ordered fish and chips in the spirit of being immersed in Englishness. Oh my, that was a mistake.
If you want good fish and chips go to a coastal town with local fishing fleet and a quayside ‘chippie’. It will be fresh and well cooked. The pub probably got the fish and potatoes out of a freezer.

Good ambience does little to guarantee good quality when it comes to a fish supper.

EERecordist

Teamlab https://www.teamlab.art/ is an artist group based in Japan. Look up videos of their work. It's a break from all of our societal discord.

Chester

Truly, generalizations about any culture can be called insulting and inaccurate. However, one can at least make generalizations about "national dishes." For better or worse, England is associated with fish and chips. Last time I was in London (last year) I visited a wonderful 18th century pub called Rising Sun (the one on Windmill Street West). The service was impeccable and the clientele pretty much the same, with both interior and exterior design exuding English ambiance. So naturally I ordered fish and chips in the spirit of being immersed in Englishness. Oh my, that was a mistake. Mind, I'm not faulting Rising Sun. I'm sure they cooked the food exactly as it is to be cooked, but that greasy dish was very difficult to stomach. Will return to London in a couple days and, guaranteed, I won't be ordering fish and chips. I will definitely, however, be revisiting the wonderful Rising Sun pub!

I know the pub you speak of. Nice little pub but the English don’t eat at pubs like that expecting the finest food. It’s more when there’s little choice and you need to eat. As @CapMan says above, pick a coastal town for decent Fish & Chips.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Change your real time clock back in time, start the software and then let windows adjust the time (or not). I bet it doesn't kick you out after it's already up and running.

Does it read the RTC from the PC or does it have its own?
I don't know for hardware analyzer, but the APx Flex software is using a USB key which seems to include it's own clock

nerdemoji

silly meme
IMG_6971.jpg

In other news, I've committed to UC Santa Barbara for electrical engineering.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

DMill

Forum Donor
When it comes to dining, as a spoiled diner living 20 miles from San Francisco and wife who is a real Foodie I think I have some perspective on a diverse food scene. I was in London in 2017 doing clinical studies for our startup with couple of UK cardiologists, one of which was from India. Because we took them to many places while training them on our devices in the US, including upscale and "hole in the wall" Mexican and Chinese joints, they reciprocated with like kind. I found the food quite good in London from the everyday fish and chips, meat pies to everything from Indonesia and the Indian Sub-continent. Now these two have traveled the world and maybe they have expanded the typical British palette but for jaded person I am, food was quite tasty and satisfying.
The few times I’ve travelled to The UK The food has been quite good. I hate these stereotypes about the British. The dentistry was awful though. :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm sure they cooked the food exactly as it is to be cooked, but that greasy dish was very difficult to stomach.
Not to defend greasy fish and chips but that is what Malt Vinegar is for! :D You drench the whole thing with it.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Not to defend greasy fish and chips but that is what Malt Vinegar is for! :D You drench the whole thing with it.
He’s a story - Salon is the most highly prized champagne one can buy. They make a maximum of three vintages a decade and when they do they only make 50,000 bottles. Tiny quantities.

To release the 1999 vintage what was the meal the clever French chose - you’ve guessed it - good old fish and chips :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, it has been an intense week dealing with the Tekton situation. Someone made a great suggestion that I should do a review of something good. Powered up the Audio Precision and the software says the license is expired!!! No way to upgrade it until next work week.

So I thought the heck with it. Let's just have fun with non audio topic. Pulled up youtube and it suggested this video:

It warms my heart that Brits like our food and how great barbeque can be.

Post anything that gets us back to fun/calm mood....
What was the video, tho? Says unavailable....

Multicore

Major Contributor
Rotten weekend here. Got a call Friday afternoon from across the world from my wife's dad with very bad news about her mom. She left yesterday and is now in Budapest. Prognosis uncertain at this point. I am here with the dogs who are a comfort. We had time to go for a hike yesterday morning, which was very nice.

20240330_082628.JPG

Playing music is also a comfort when I can summon the courage.

20240413_160727~2.JPG

Top Bottom