• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BMR Philharmonitor with Curved Cabinets

DeruDog

Forum Donor
Hi All. I received the BMR Philharmonitor kits from Meniscus last week. I am planning to do some custom Baltic Birch Cabinets on my CNC with curved sides. Purely for aesthetic reasons and because I love designing things. My first renders are here, and I will keep the post rolling as I move along with the build. My first cabinet build with curved sides, first 3-way speakers, and first crossover build. With some things, if it's worth doing, its worth overdoing, I guess.

Front baffle has increased radius on the side round-overs. Otherwise the baffle is unchanged. The interior volume is virtually unchanged, with less than 1% lower volume.

BMR Curved Plan (v9~recovered).jpgBMR Curved Plan v12.jpg

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
The first critical step after the above design was checking and fitting the BMR cutout with the CNC. Hand router was one option, but I enjoy problem solving, so ... I made a CNC cutout design. First attempt (by eye and measurement) had some unattractive gaps; the last two photos are the successful cutout (by tracing a photo of the BMR). It's an even 1mm around the whole thing. Setting up the cut probably took about 90 minutes, including taking a photo and a little head-scratching about the best approach.

Test complete, and on to the final cuts in the coming days.
IMG_5394.jpgIMG_5401.jpgIMG_5403.jpg

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
Any chamfering on the inside?

(pic credit http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/)
No call for it in the design so I had not planned on it.

I will look in to it and consider #4, since the face is an inch thick. That said, this would apply mostly to the BMR, since the Woofer is way deeper than the diagrams. The BMR is in a pretty small sealed compartment, so I don't think it behaves the same way as a normal speaker and hence might not behave the same way with a chamfered interior baffle.

Last edited:

headshake

No call for it in the design so I had not planned on it.
If you are curving the cab, won't that change the crossover?

If I add an edge radius in virtuixCAD I see changes around 1k-2k.

"The BMR is in a pretty small sealed compartment, so I don't think it behaves the same way as a normal speaker "
Oh, I see, the bmr on its own is all sealed up + the compartment to seal it inside the speaker box.

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
If you are curving the cab, won't that change the crossover?

If I add an edge radius in virtuixCAD I see changes around 1k-2k.

I am only considering an increase in the edge roundover. The original plans called for a roundover as well, of about .5in radius, which I increased to 1in radius. Dennis thinks it should work out alright, with the same crossover. If I have problems, I could build another cabinet or just allow my DSP to take care of it.

I will measure response with a calibrated microphone and REW when I am done. I am actually curious how much I might be messing up the tuning with the increased side bevel. Could be smoother, could be worse ...

I have a question, though, since you have virtiuxCAD: When increasing the roundover, if I am trying to keep the same tuning would I keep the flat part of the Baffle the same, or the radius-to-radius measurement the same, or the outside-to-outside of the cabinet the same? Logic dictates to me that I would keep the flat area the same and the additional radius would make the edge diffraction just roll off a bit more slowly, but I wonder what the modeling would tell us.

R Swerdlow

I am only considering an increase in the edge roundover. The original plans called for a roundover as well, of about .5in radius, which I increased to 1in radius. Dennis thinks it should work out alright, with the same crossover. If I have problems, I could build another cabinet or just allow my DSP to take care of it.
A number of years ago Dennis directly measured the same 2-way speakers, his MBOW1 design, in cabinets with squared off edges and with edges rounded over with a ¾" radius. (The MBOW1 speaker cabinets were 8" wide, as shown here.) The squared edge cabinet had a small diffraction peak at 4 kHz and a small dip at 7 kHz. The rounded edge cabinet made both nearly disappear.

Here is the square edged cabinet, on-axis:
1595947673608.png

And the rounded edge cabinet, on-axis:
1595947804362.png

A similar comparison made with the microphone 15° off-axis, with squared edged cabinet:
1595947921850.png

And with rounded edges, 15° off-axis:
1595948012895.png

I will measure response with a calibrated microphone and REW when I am done. I am actually curious how much I might be messing up the tuning with the increased side bevel. Could be smoother, could be worse ...

I have a question, though, since you have virtiuxCAD: When increasing the roundover, if I am trying to keep the same tuning would I keep the flat part of the Baffle the same, or the radius-to-radius measurement the same, or the outside-to-outside of the cabinet the same? Logic dictates to me that I would keep the flat area the same and the additional radius would make the edge diffraction just roll off a bit more slowly, but I wonder what the modeling would tell us.
I personally doubt if your cabinet design will require major crossover changes, but there's no better way to find out than to build a test cabinet and measure it. It might be an improvement.

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
I don't know how to corretly measure the baffle size when it has round off, but I know there are software that can simulate the diffraction. There are complicated softwares to simple ones that use excel. For example this one: http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/BDBS.html .
So Cool! I am an excel nerd, so I love this free charting for speaker design.

I used the jbagby chart you linked and I got the below results for the ribbon. The first is my design vs the original design, my design in blue:
Baffle Comparison.gif

The next is if I narrow my planned box so the outside dimensions match the original:
Baffle Comparison narrow.gif

Much closer to the original curve! Now I need to see how much I can get away with on roundover, since the woofer is close to the same width as the original baffle. Also, I did the same experiment with the BMR and came to the same conclusion on the curve, the narrower baffle is much closer. So thanks a million for that link, it is just what I was looking for when I originally started this design process. Back to the virtual drawing board, and the speaker is about to get a little deeper.

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
Sadly, there is only room for the 1/2 inch roundover due to the size of the woofer. I could do a pyramid-shaped speaker, or a wider roundover on the top half of the cabinet, but that strays from the original design, and would not be aesthetically as nice. So back to the 1/2 inch roundover it is. I am planning on a skinny version I made last night, BMR_Curved_Plan_12_in_round_skinny_2020-Jul-30_04-08-31PM-000_CustomizedView16350714717.jpg

vs. a fatter version I designed earlier yesterdayBMR_Curved_Plan_12_in_roundover_2020-Jul-30_03-50-35PM-000_CustomizedView50783021169.png

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you make the side even fatter and blend into the 1/2 inch roundover? It might be hard to make the side panels but seems a fun experiment.

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
I could do that but it will affect the crossover a little. It would be hard to know how much. That said, my AVR has DSP which would correct many problems. I would prefer not to rely on that, though.

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
Can you make the side even fatter and blend into the 1/2 inch roundover? It might be hard to make the side panels but seems a fun experiment.
Also, the roundover is actually blended in to the side, one at 175 degrees and one at 165 degrees, if I remember right, so it should look quite smooth.

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
First test cuts yesterday. All proceeding to plan.
70BD5D36-7668-43C8-B05F-AE6130781FF0.jpeg

Pygmy

Following this, love to see what you're building.

I have a long term DIY project going based on the idea of the Philharmonic BMR's, I'm trying to design my own 3-ways using a BMR as mid, an Isodynamic Planar Tweeter, and a (sub) woofer driver.

I'll be doing an "active" build - the speaker drivers will be connected straight to outputs on the speaker, and I'll be building one "amp block" per speaker. Each "Amp block" will have a DSP, and 3 class D amplifiers to power each individual driver.
At least, that's the idea - it'll probably take a year or two to get it working.. :)

Pygmy

I thought about the same thing. I think the Hypex is the easy button.

If you mean their plate amps, sure.
But I want the amps externally, so I can use them later for different speakers, just having to change the DSP settings.

And I don't feel like making separate boxes with just a plate amp...

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
If you mean their plate amps, sure.
But I want the amps externally, so I can use them later for different speakers, just having to change the DSP settings.

And I don't feel like making separate boxes with just a plate amp...
Yes, I was talking about the plate amps, the Hypex 123, or a hybrid 122 with the woofer on one channel and the mid/tweeter on the other. I am uncertain about how they would test, so I think your idea of an external DSP solution would be ideal. Would you build that yourself, or just have 2-4 separate "boxes" for each speaker? Have you found the best DSP solution, yet? And Amps?

Again, I had thought about this before and may go there in the future before all is said and done.

OP
D

DeruDog

Forum Donor
Daily update. The 1/4 inch guide rods fit with a little coaxing from my mallet. The rest of the day was cutting and fitting a spoil board. This is a new cut for my CNC.
08794580-90AB-47E9-BDBE-2CB8880035A8.jpeg

Top Bottom