• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Powernode Edge Streaming Amp Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 37.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

StefanSweden

I have the Powernode Edge and really like it for the reasons mentioned earlier. Glad it messured well enough to the recommended!

I power two Dali Oberon 1's with it. One thing I wonder is If I eventuelly would buy bigger speakers demanding more power. Can the Edge be Bridged? (or Whats it called) or would I need to buy another amp?

respice finem

Major Contributor
I have the Powernode Edge and really like it for the reasons mentioned earlier. Glad it messured well enough to the recommended!

I power two Dali Oberon 1's with it. One thing I wonder is If I eventuelly would buy bigger speakers demanding more power. Can the Edge be Bridged? (or Whats it called) or would I need to buy another amp?
I would rather avoid the hassle and simply add an active subwoofer (it has a sub out).

StefanSweden

I would rather avoid the hassle and simply add an active subwoofer (it has a sub out).

I already have a SVS SB-1000 Pro.

unexperienced

I have 15" woofers connected to Edge and power-appropriate drivers from the field of professional audio equipment. I can assure you, he is coping with this whole in house use perfectly. But to be completely honest, we must admit that the Edge amplifier has a small noise - rustling in the HF range. It is almost inaudible from a distance of about one meter, but it is there. In the same NAD M33 there is no such noise, the M33 has dead silence from the treble speakers. I would characterize this noise as exactly the same as for example in Lyngdorf TDAI 1120. Which was a amplifier of the same set of speakers for more than a year.

unexperienced

Screenshot_20230916-163901~2.png
Surprisingly compact device. Using the included wall mount, I attached the Edge to the TV bracket. All the wires were hidden in a cable duct inside the wall. And now there is a TV hanging on the wall and speakers around the edges. I completely removed the bedside table for the equipment.

nygafre

I have 15" woofers connected to Edge and power-appropriate drivers from the field of professional audio equipment. I can assure you, he is coping with this whole in house use perfectly. But to be completely honest, we must admit that the Edge amplifier has a small noise - rustling in the HF range. It is almost inaudible from a distance of about one meter, but it is there. In the same NAD M33 there is no such noise, the M33 has dead silence from the treble speakers. I would characterize this noise as exactly the same as for example in Lyngdorf TDAI 1120. Which was a amplifier of the same set of speakers for more than a year.
You mean you can hear a slight rustle when not playing any content? Nothing to worry about I guess.
I cannot hear any from the Powernode N330 on my speakers.

unexperienced

You mean you can hear a slight rustle when not playing any content? Nothing to worry about I guess.
I cannot hear any from the Powernode N330 on my speakers.

That's right. A slight, barely audible hiss from the tweeters. This is apparently a feature of all amplifiers whose output stage uses a power microcircuit. The Edge most likely uses some kind of Texas Instruments chip with a digital input as a power amplifier. In your amplifier, the output stages are built using UcD technology, I have dealt with them more than once and they do not emit any noise, just like Ncore and Purifi. Edge uses a structure without converting digital to analog - DirectDigital. And yours uses a hybrid structure, which implies the presence of a digital-to-analog converter. And here the question arises: which DAC is installed and all the consequences that arise.

nygafre

That's right. A slight, barely audible hiss from the tweeters. This is apparently a feature of all amplifiers whose output stage uses a power microcircuit. The Edge most likely uses some kind of Texas Instruments chip with a digital input as a power amplifier. In your amplifier, the output stages are built using UcD technology, I have dealt with them more than once and they do not emit any noise, just like Ncore and Purifi. Edge uses a structure without converting digital to analog - DirectDigital. And yours uses a hybrid structure, which implies the presence of a digital-to-analog converter. And here the question arises: which DAC is installed and all the consequences that arise.
Thank’s for the informative reply!

unexperienced

Thank’s for the informative reply!

In fact, the capabilities of UcD amplifiers are usually limited by the capabilities of the preceding DAC. Take the practitioner's word for it. It is clear that Ncore, Purifi, Nilai, are a further development of the original UcD concept, maybe the best. But the best in what? In my practice and moving up the audiophilia ladder, having come to Class D from class A, I personally learned only that starting with UcD in Class D in subsequent implementations, changes occur already at the level of sound color. But this is a separate topic and it concerns more timbral saturation, which can be adjusted. The question here is how much it is necessary for the manufacturer. And that's where the fun begins.

nygafre

@unexperienced
Without being very technicalthis sounds interesting, so feel free to elaborate. Would you say that the worse-measuring DAC in the N330 means the sound quality is also perceived as worse during real world listening (compared to e.g. the Edge)? Just wondering if the Powernode is ‘too compromised’, and I should look to upgrade. Was on a merry-go-round of amps for about a year before I got the Powernode last year. After that I’ve been quite content.. so a bit reluctant to start that process again, lol.

The timbral saturation is a new for me. Increases as you move up the ladder, from UcD - NCore - Purifi/Nilai? Where does the Edge fit into that?

unexperienced

@unexperienced
Without being very technicalthis sounds interesting, so feel free to elaborate. Would you say that the worse-measuring DAC in the N330 means the sound quality is also perceived as worse during real world listening (compared to e.g. the Edge)? Just wondering if the Powernode is ‘too compromised’, and I should look to upgrade. Was on a merry-go-round of amps for about a year before I got the Powernode last year. After that I’ve been quite content.. so a bit reluctant to start that process again, lol.

The timbral saturation is a new for me. Increases as you move up the ladder, from UcD - NCore - Purifi/Nilai? Where does the Edge fit into that?

There's nothing to be shy about. I believe that we all have our own specific preferences and tastes in sound. And it will be too difficult to convince us that it should not sound if it does not sound as we need it actually sounds to us when listening to whatever sound amplification technology is used at the same time. In my own opinion, manufacturers deliberately limit the capabilities of their devices, i.e. they clamp the characteristics at the bottom of the line and vice versa expand at the top. At the same time, they actually use the same essentially path in terms of technical implementation.

AltoVariago

@unexperienced

I have a N330 Powernode in a second setting and it powers perfectly a pair of Kef LS50. It replaced a better measuring amp, but I like it better. If you enjoy your sound don’t care about measuring!

ASR fan

Larger speakers are typically much more efficient and therefore need less power. Running the Edge with a pair of Oberon 1s (86dB sensitivity) is pretty much a worst case scenario. Life only gets easier for the Edge as you move up to larger Dali speakers. Personally I would love to run the edge with a set of Dali Epikore 11 one day, also just to stir the pot. Anyway, other brands may pose different challenges of course.

Owning myself both a set of Oberon 1Cs and the Rubicon 8s (90.5dB sensitivity), I must also admit that I end up playing much louder with the Rubicons. This happens simply because of the physical experience that comes with it. They also sound a bit more relaxed, so I tend to forget how loud I am playing.

unexperienced

I would put the Edge next to the NAD C390DD with the Bluos module in terms of sound. I had owned it for a long time.

Eneen

There are two power vs distortion graphs, one states 57W and second one 39W, both for 4R. Is second one from measurement after lowering gain or 8R typo?

Last edited:
Does this support HDMI CEC so my TV remote can modify the volume? (Do I need CEC for that, or just ARC?)

Top Bottom