• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

BlackBushBaby

Audessey works very well out of the box. Plug and play.

Dirac is WAY more hands on and requires more work to setup correctly. Not beginner friendly.

Both can proved excellent results, when care is taken to set them up properly.

As for Dirac and SoundUnited, I hope this is not true. We need competition to innovate.

multisport4me

Audessey works very well out of the box. Plug and play.

Dirac is WAY more hands on and requires more work to setup correctly. Not beginner friendly.

Both can proved excellent results, when care is taken to set them up properly.

As for Dirac and SoundUnited, I hope this is not true. We need competition to innovate.
I couldn't disagree more. Audyssey notoriously requires the bass to be bumped up, if not outright calibrated separately, in order to get decent results. If you really want very good results you need to know what you're doing and use Rataudyssey (or whatever its called) and REW. Dirac DBLC allowed me to set up 5 subs with ease in my HT. REW was only used to verify and perfect things.

I think Audyssey is fine for lower end processors and receivers aimed at the masses. But for high-end AV, I'm sorry - I just think Dirac and DBLC are on another planet. Audyssey has fallen way behind and will need to do a lot to leapfrog Dirac....who is not sitting on their hands waiting for Audyssey's next play.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't disagree more. Audyssey notoriously requires the bass to be bumped up, if not outright calibrated separately, in order to get decent results. If you really want very good results you need to know what you're doing and use Rataudyssey (or whatever its called) and REW. Dirac DBLC allowed me to set up 5 subs with ease in my HT. REW was only used to verify and perfect things.
Yeah getting an Audyssey setup tweaked properly is a nightmare that requires you to know all sorts of little details that are not documented or explained anywhere outside of enthusiast forums and websites.

It's the rest of the Denon/Marantz setup that is easy to use and accessible -- expected functionality is all there(the Monoprice HTP-1 doesn't even have an OSD....) there are few if any HDMI/etc compatibility issues with other hardware, and when they do exist, they get resolved fast due to the large user base. The software generally works pretty well, and doesn't have all sorts of weird bugs the way some of the 16-channel processors do.

But Audyssey needs a lot of work.

BlackBushBaby

Just

I think Audyssey is fine for lower end processors and receivers aimed at the masses. But for high-end AV, I'm sorry - I just think Dirac and DBLC are on another planet. Audyssey has fallen way behind and will need to do a lot to leapfrog Dirac....who is not sitting on their hands waiting for Audyssey's next play.
Just sharing my experience. I found Dirac to be basslight compared to Audessey, but the Dirac latest target curves are indeed better sounding. No experience with DBLC as that has not arrived yet for the processor I used.

Looking at tutorials from Dirac,Storm, NAD, Emotiva, they all have a different way of setting gains and levels. So all of these EQ programs have their quirks.

Audessey XT32 did better job for my subwoofers than Dirac. Why? Dirac screws up the levels if you big peaks in the subwoofer frequency response.

That said, I am using YPOA and that really is a step below Audessey and Dirac, but that offers PEQ, that the others do not.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many years have users been waiting for Denon to add Qobuz compatibility to HEOS? HEOS could have been a great feature set but instead it's the ugly step child that has been ignored by Denon. :D

Show me any significant Denon software updates that occurred after Sound United took charge?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was planning on replacing my Denon with the AVM70
We did that as I've noted elsewhere. Denon AVR-X3600H to AVM70 + ATI 525NC (which runs SO cool, nice!). Setup still sounds great, sounds a bit different (probably ARC vs Audyssey)* but to our ears it does NOT sound "better." YMMV...but easy returns recommended in case not.

*Audyssey we used the App to turn off the "bad editorial decision" of midrange dip, and made a wide gentle 1 dB boost of upper mids. ARC so far we just ran unmodified. We found Audyssey/App pretty simple. ARC a bit of a pain in the ass...I recall having to set up a Google account to do something. And App aside, you can just run Audyssey right from the Denon AVR; it's all offloaded in the Anthem. ARC just took more setup work and there was something I was like "why the [bleep] isn't this just stored in the AVR?!?" Also when I experimented with a modified ARC curve, I could not tell which curve was currently actually loaded in the machine. I *think* this was easier with Audyssey. Sorry for the fuzzy commentary, there's been a LOT going on since I did this including taking my mom to Emergency Room (she's OK now) and a massive plumbing leak still ongoing some $2500 and days later.

Last edited:

MASKINEN

Just

Just sharing my experience. I found Dirac to be basslight compared to Audessey, but the Dirac latest target curves are indeed better sounding. No experience with DBLC as that has not arrived yet for the processor I used.

Looking at tutorials from Dirac,Storm, NAD, Emotiva, they all have a different way of setting gains and levels. So all of these EQ programs have their quirks.

Audessey XT32 did better job for my subwoofers than Dirac. Why? Dirac screws up the levels if you big peaks in the subwoofer frequency response.

That said, I am using YPOA and that really is a step below Audessey and Dirac, but that offers PEQ, that the others do not.

From my perspective and experience from using Dirac 20hz-20khz…

If you get flat results it’s because of the user doing the measurements and target curve. I’m not pointing fingers, I’m more just telling my experience.

Just moving “the behind couch” calibrations points about 40 cm out from the couch drastically improve my bass response in room. I’m using the +6db Harman curve with an extremely good and even bass response only from one 12” subwoofer.

Dirac has a learning curve and trial and error will mostly improve. I’ve probably done about 10-15 measurements now and the sound get better each time. Playing with target curves and mic positions mostly.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, since MASI announced it was buying Sound United it's been one of the best shorts ever. Even after SPY recovers today by 0.58% - MASI still dives another -0.90% to 123. Earnings for MASI come out May 3 and they warned it's a miss. Lets see how this shakes out. The AVR market may get smaller soon. :facepalm:

52 week range 305.21 to 122.72 :D:oops:o_O

BlackBushBaby

From my perspective and experience from using Dirac 20hz-20khz…

If you get flat results it’s because of the user doing the measurements and target curve. I’m not pointing fingers, I’m more just telling my experience.

Just moving “the behind couch” calibrations points about 40 cm out from the couch drastically improve my bass response in room. I’m using the +6db Harman curve with an extremely good and even bass response only from one 12” subwoofer.

Dirac has a learning curve and trial and error will mostly improve. I’ve probably done about 10-15 measurements now and the sound get better each time. Playing with target curves and mic positions mostly.

Jes, lots of practise needed. I suggest you checkout Storms recommended calibration procedure and the target curves they use.

MASKINEN

Jes, lots of practise needed. I suggest you checkout Storms recommended calibration procedure and the target curves they use.

Why? I’ve used and checked out storms calibration procedures. So if you have something to say… explain it so it’s possible to answer you.

Just look at Diracs own calibration guide which says: Measure some points outside the listening area. E.g. for a sofa, it is recommended to do a few of the measurements outside the couch by 20-30 cm in any direction.

BlackBushBaby

Why? I’ve used and checked out storms calibration procedures. So if you have something to say… explain it so it’s possible to answer you.

Just look at Diracs own calibration guide which says: Measure some points outside the listening area. E.g. for a sofa, it is recommended to do a few of the measurements outside the couch by 20-30 cm in any direction.
It was just a suggestion, if you have not seen it yet. Storm have a totally different microphone placement than what Dirac suggests. The standard Dirac target curve is (was) basslight compared to what I got with Audessey. The NAD curves where much better in that regard, but the Storm curves sounded more spacious. (probably as it rolls off the LCR faster on the top than the surrounds).

Audessey takes work to set up, but so does Dirac.

Last edited:

MASKINEN

It was just a suggestion, if you have not seen it yet. Storm have a totally different microphone placement than what Dirac suggests. The standard Dirac target curve is (was) basslight compared to what I got with Audessey. The NAD curves where much better in that regard, but the Storm curves sounded more spacious. (probably as it rolls off the LCR faster on the top than the surrounds).

Audessey takes work to set up, but so does Dirac.

To be honest, it didn’t sound like suggestion but thank you for clarifying :)

Yes the Storm mic placement is different and the Dirac target curve is actually supposed to be quite “bass light” since it makes the sound flat. Most people don’t want a flat response in the bass region so we just bump it up by how much we want or can. I’ve tested the Storm's target curves but I preferred the Harmans +6db curve that I’ve modified to fit my speakers the best.

As long as you’re happy with the results I think there’s many ways of achieving that.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pretty dire conjecture and conclusion. Albeit, the synergy of MASI and Sound United is dubious at best. I suppose on the optimistic side is that MASI manages to leverage the vast Sound United channels (which is the impetus of the deal) and then sell off Sound United's various brands piece meal. Who knows. I mean, MASI doesn't really NEED all of the brands under Sound United today to access the channels since they largely (if not entirely) overlap. So we could easily see them start to sell off some of those brands. I assume the deal was accretive as well so maybe there is some small upside to EPS near term...although their stock sure doesn't reflect any upside of late.

Frankly, I am surprised someone like Legrand didn't buy them. Legrand has a large portfolio of commercial AV businesses and the Sound United portfolio would have been a logical extension whilst giving Legrand access to sound processing and amplification capabilities they don't have today and access to the same channels MASI covets.

Oh well. If they do fold, it will be a sad day. But others will come along. The CEDIA channel is rife with many a startup company chasing and sometimes displacing the bigger dogs. Control4 comes to mind. Maybe Storm Audio will hockey stick with an expanded, more accessible product line? Who knows. If Sound United goes, someone will come along at some point. For now, we're in the dark ages of HT and HiFI and it sucks.
I have an insider understanding of Legrand's business, they don't want to own AV companies, they'd much rather keep doing what they do, integration. They'll continue to gobble up competing distributors/integrators since they have the money and its easier than competing.

Last edited:

multisport4me

I have an insider understanding of Legrand's business, they don't want to own AV companies, they'd much rather keep doing what they do, integration. They'll continue to gobble up competing distributors/integrators since they have the money and its easier than competing.
Really? Then why do they have an extensive portfolio of Commercial and Residential AV brands in their portfolio? None in which are integrators. But I'll take your word for it. I was just speculating that Legrand would have been a better suitor to buy Sound United brands than a medical device company.
1651511477527.png

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really? Then why do they have an extensive portfolio of Commercial and Residential AV brands in their portfolio? None in which are integrators. But I'll take your word for it. I was just speculating that Legrand would have been a better suitor to buy Sound United brands than a medical device company. View attachment 204075
Of the brands mentioned in that org chart, how many make hardware for installing things and how many make actual electronics?

Hardware for installing things = integration.

multisport4me

Of the brands mentioned in that org chart, how many make hardware for installing things and how many make actual electronics?

Hardware for installing things = integration.
Ah, you mean glue products - I thought you meant System Integrators. Yes, their portfolio is clearly most made up of furniture, racks, extenders, cables, etc.

But I maintain they would have made more sense than a medical device company. It would have been too much of a tangent from their current strategic focus though....to your larger point.

TheAVInsider

These are the new models, with current certs, I think we should concern ourselves with:

AVR-S570BT
AVR-S970H
AVR-X2800H
AVC-X3800H
CINEMA 50
CINEMA 60
CINEMA 70s

This should help others with pre-announcement naming. I expect this list to fill in around the time of first announcement. Mid-Sept. ????

Sources:

I left out AVR-A1H, as I believe this one will drop out, be renamed, or will be introduced as an independent announcement at a later date as a limited production model.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are the new models, with current certs, I think we should concern ourselves with:

AVR-S570BT
AVR-S970H
AVR-X2800H
AVC-X3800H
CINEMA 50
CINEMA 60
CINEMA 70s

This should help others with pre-announcement naming. I expect this list to fill in around the time of first announcement. Mid-Sept. ????

Sources:

I left out AVR-A1H, as I believe this one will drop out, be renamed, or will be introduced as an independent announcement at a later date as a limited production model.

Oh why thank you good sir / madame. Welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom