• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rataudyssey (or whatever its called) and REW. Dirac DBLC allowed me to set up 5 subs with ease
https://github.com/ratbuddy/ratbuddyssey
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/an...r-tweaking-audyssey-multeq-app-files.3006886/
Or the Audyssey App, which lets you turn off their idiot midrange dip, that helped our setup a lot. Is Dirac DBLC built into a lot of products? I've sometimes thought (dreamed?) of 5 towers each with a subwoofer in the bottom. Or maybe just the front 3. We're longtime happy Denon users but I don't think Audyssey can do >2 subs (???).

The ARC in our Anthem AVM70 seems to give very good results as well-aside from having to setup some Google Home account or something more troublesome than Denon-but for having spent a lot more money the sound is not better.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said, I am using YPOA and that really is a step below Audessey and Dirac, but that offers PEQ, that the others do not.
YPAO I think you mean-does that also work with Yamaha's variable loudness (which I think is very intelligent unlike useless fixed buttons)?

TheAVInsider

What are these things?
My guess is those are the new Marantz AVR's or AVP's. It's well past time for some new Marantz styling as well, so hopefully M will offer more updates than what D brings.

Edit: Cinema 70S suggests that there will be a Silver color option for that model (not likely available in North America).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50971

I’m waiting to see if Marantz does a much needed revamp of their AVPs, and I’d rather have that than new room correction. Both probably equals $6000-$7000 price range, and Audyssey would be fine with me.

BannedForever

The dream came true. First glimps of the upcoming X3800H with Dirac Live support (no BLDC, which will be available only on the X4800H and up, including the new flagship X8800H.

DenonX3800H.png

The biggest news, according to an insider, is that D&M have worked with Dirac to offer the first ever Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Vol of Audyssey side by side with Dirac Live. Up until now, no AVR/AVP with Dirac has Dynamic EQ capability (Dolby volume is limited to Dolby-only content)

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The dream came true. First glips of the upcoming X3800H with Dirac Live support (no BLDC, which will be available only on the C4800H and up, including the new flagship X8800H.

View attachment 227291

The biggest news, according to an insider, is that D&M have worked with Dirac to offer the first ever Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Vol of Audyssey side by side with Dirac Live. Up until now, no AVR/AVP with Dirac has Dynamic EQ capability (Dolby volume is limited to Dolby-only content)
Wait, so Dirac and Audyssey combined or just Dirac implementing new features?

D

Deleted member 50971

The dream came true. First glips of the upcoming X3800H with Dirac Live support (no BLDC, which will be available only on the C4800H and up, including the new flagship X8800H.

View attachment 227291

Thanks for posting this, and it sounds very interesting. No DTS X pro on that model i noticed, although that’s not top of the line I don’t think. Possibly available with a future update?

What will Marantz do is the question? Year after year Denon is innovating, and Marantz is resting on their laurels. Hopefully the Marantz 8015’s better performance is the sign of better things to come. Bye bye hdams? We’ll see.

Thanks again for the post.

BannedForever

Thanks for posting this, and it sounds very interesting. No DTS X pro on that model i noticed, although that’s not top of the line I don’t think. Possibly available with a future update?

What will Marantz do is the question? Year after year Denon is innovating, and Marantz is resting on their laurels. Hopefully the Marantz 8015’s better performance is the sign of better things to come. Bye bye hdams? We’ll see.

Thanks again for the post.
Not sure yet, but the X3800H is really packed (Auro-3D !). Each step in line will offer significant upgrades. If DTS:X Pro is offered, I will be on the X6800H and X8800H.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Bummer to see that they are still limited to 40Gbps on the HDMI board. Not the end of the road, but disappointing.

D

Deleted member 50971

Not sure yet, but the X3800H is really packed. Each step in line will offer significant upgrades. If DTS:X Pro is offered, I will be on the X6800H and X8800H.
Possibly a game changer, and very exciting news indeed. I knew something was brewing, and I’m really pulling for Marantz to come out with something like this.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Ooh.. I just noticed 9.4 AVR/11.4 processing... I hope these are independent Sub Outputs and not internal splits off the old 2 discreet Sub outs! *fingers crossed

Newman

Major Contributor
Bye bye hdams?
I get the impression that the assumed connection between HDAM and lesser SINAD numbers is not right. No real or proven performance-based reason to wish them away IMHO.

TheAVInsider

@BannedForever

Please do your best to provide sources when making specific announcements. If you are speculating, just say so. If you are protecting an insider who is providing you information, just say so. If you are quoting others, provide a link. It's best practice, and in the best interest of others to do so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50971

I get the impression that the assumed connection between HDAM and lesser SINAD numbers is not right. No real or proven performance-based reason to wish them away IMHO.
That’s why I put the question mark afterwards, and mentioned the Marantz SR8015 which supposedly has the updated Hdams. Proof they can be done properly.

Either way I’m sick of looking at the little blue port on mine, and I’m hoping for a revamp!

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I've been told by an insider that Sound United are going to announce a collaboration with Dirac Live, which will be offered as an optional upgrade/replacement to Audyssey... The announcement is expected by end of this year. Dirac will be supported in 2023 models, including DBC in the higher models (X4700 equivalent and higher). This could be a recent decision following Onkyo/pioneer reboot popularity and/or due to the lack of success with the new MultiEQ-X I

I've been told by an insider that Sound United are going to announce a collaboration with Dirac Live, which will be offered as an optional upgrade/replacement to Audyssey... The announcement is expected by end of this year. Dirac will be supported in 2023 models, including DBC in the higher models (X4700 equivalent and higher). This could be a recent decision following Onkyo/pioneer reboot popularity and/or due to the lack of success with the new MultiEQ-X application...
I asked Gene at Audioholics about this and he thought it was a no go. Gene probably was looking at the years and money spent by SU on Audyessy. Personally, I end up putting in the same bass boost as you would find pre calibrated in a Sony. I also only corrected the first reflections out of the speakers..using Audessy for the full range sounded horrid to me.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Agree. And as I am too new to this forum. I haven’t seen (m)any hard facts and figures where Dirac is provenly better. What would help is to have some REW measurements using both Dirac and Audyssey in a common living room listening environment with everything else unchanged. If that exists, please someone point me to it (I didn’t find any in that long XT32 vs Dirac Thread here - mostly subjective observations).

Yes the Dirac UI is better as the Windows MultiEQ software and Dirac interfaces currently better with REW, but with some, admittedly tedious manual effort I can get REW filter settings into Audyyssey either via Ratbuddyssey or a bit more convenient via the MultiEQ Software. Also the multi sub adjustments might be easier in Dirac, however I have not fully explored the Windows MultiEQ yet.

I will be surprised if Denon is still in business in 2025. Sound United doubled AVR prices, installed lower quality DACs, drastically eliminated local repair support and then sold the company to a medical device manufacturer whose stock has crashed down 55% in 6 months. It will be hard for the Audio brands under MASI to survive and grow. Masimo Corporation will likely be looking to massively cut expenses and R&D to survive. Having this occur while the FED is continually hiking rates in .50 increments won't help company valuations.
The medical company might want to sell off sound united's assets but Denon has a viable market share ans a good product.. I couldn't find a real bussiness reason for the purchase of Sound United by this medical company but just as another vehicle for debt restructure or quick way to raise capital by selling off patents and spinning off companies like Denon.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
We did that as I've noted elsewhere. Denon AVR-X3600H to AVM70 + ATI 525NC (which runs SO cool, nice!). Setup still sounds great, sounds a bit different (probably ARC vs Audyssey)* but to our ears it does NOT sound "better." YMMV...but easy returns recommended in case not.

*Audyssey we used the App to turn off the "bad editorial decision" of midrange dip, and made a wide gentle 1 dB boost of upper mids. ARC so far we just ran unmodified. We found Audyssey/App pretty simple. ARC a bit of a pain in the ass...I recall having to set up a Google account to do something. And App aside, you can just run Audyssey right from the Denon AVR; it's all offloaded in the Anthem. ARC just took more setup work and there was something I was like "why the [bleep] isn't this just stored in the AVR?!?" Also when I experimented with a modified ARC curve, I could not tell which curve was currently actually loaded in the machine. I *think* this was easier with Audyssey. Sorry for the fuzzy commentary, there's been a LOT going on since I did this including taking my mom to Emergency Room (she's OK now) and a massive plumbing leak still ongoing some $2500 and days

From my perspective and experience from using Dirac 20hz-20khz…

If you get flat results it’s because of the user doing the measurements and target curve. I’m not pointing fingers, I’m more just telling my experience.

Just moving “the behind couch” calibrations points about 40 cm out from the couch drastically improve my bass response in room. I’m using the +6db Harman curve with an extremely good and even bass response only from one 12” subwoofer.

Dirac has a learning curve and trial and error will mostly improve. I’ve probably done about 10-15 measurements now and the sound get better each time. Playing with target curves and mic positions mostly.
I loved how Dirac worked when I tested in in the onlyo/pioneer environment. I just thought the avrs were cheap and problematic. Dirac combined with better made a much Denon product would kill dominate the avr market.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It is worthy of note that Dirac is being provided as an "Optional" extra - one assumes that means an additional cost extra "Dirac Live Optional Upgradability".

And Audyssey has always linked its dynamic EQ/Vol functions to the base Audyssey EQ being active.... without turning on the EQ you could not get the loudness features - which makes me question how they can integrate Dirac with DynamicEQ/Vol...

I look forward to the first real reviews.... this will also be an opportunity to test Dirac Vs Audyssey in a truly identical configuration!

Top Bottom