• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to stay in the BluOS ecosystem for a new setup

I currently have a setup in a family room that is running off a bluesound node 2i (yes, I understand the issues with this hardware). This is not a critical listening steup, but rather where the family gathers and watches TV. I'm in the process of setting up an additional room (where I care much more about the audio quality) 0around a pair of Amphion Argon 7LS (new to me) speakers and am hoping to stay in the BluOS environment for the benefit of multiroom audio (when having guests over, etc.). I am considering doing this in a couple of different ways.

1. Buying a node x and running it into a buckeye hypex ncx500 2 channel amp. The node x has a better DAC in it (although I understand the implementation might still be lacking), so this is one possibility.
  2. NAD M10 v2. This is a more expensive option, but the dac implementation is likely better. Far less power than the former option, but also comes with Dirac for room correction.
  3. Node -> Dac/preamp with a good dac -> buckeye amp. The cost of this could vary quite a bit, to just a little bit more than option 1 to quite a bit more than option 2. If this is the best option, I'm curious what people would use as the external dac/preamp.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir blessed this one. Very simple solution for your situation as I understand it.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You're looking for sound quality, so probably #3 (DAC need not be expensive and as long as the volume implementation is good you won't need a separate pre-amp)

Or ... Ditch (sell) your existing node and go with something else. WiiM are doing well at the moment, the app is decent too

OP
F
You're looking for sound quality, so probably #3 (DAC need not be expensive and as long as the volume implementation is good you won't need a separate pre-amp)

Or ... Ditch (sell) your existing node and go with something else. WiiM are doing well at the moment, the app is decent too
Thanks. Are there any DACs that jump to mind that meet those criteria? I've looked into a bunch of different Topping ones in the past, but the recent reports of the volume going haywire and frying equipment has me skittish. The SMSL equipment (looking at the SU-9, for example) looks excellent.

Alternatively, I could do a minidsp flex as both the DAC and not lose out on the DIRAC, but that gets much more expensive.

LuvTheMusic

I currently have a setup in a family room that is running off a bluesound node 2i (yes, I understand the issues with this hardware). This is not a critical listening steup, but rather where the family gathers and watches TV. I'm in the process of setting up an additional room (where I care much more about the audio quality) 0around a pair of Amphion Argon 7LS (new to me) speakers and am hoping to stay in the BluOS environment for the benefit of multiroom audio (when having guests over, etc.). I am considering doing this in a couple of different ways.

1. Buying a node x and running it into a buckeye hypex ncx500 2 channel amp. The node x has a better DAC in it (although I understand the implementation might still be lacking), so this is one possibility.
  2. NAD M10 v2. This is a more expensive option, but the dac implementation is likely better. Far less power than the former option, but also comes with Dirac for room correction.
  3. Node -> Dac/preamp with a good dac -> buckeye amp. The cost of this could vary quite a bit, to just a little bit more than option 1 to quite a bit more than option 2. If this is the best option, I'm curious what people would use as the external dac/preamp.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
As you say, the newer Node has a better DAC. So the question is not whether it is state of the art, but whether it is audibly equivalent to anything else you are likely to find. My own guess, at least for my own hearing (YMMV), is that any possible perceptible, audible differences between the Node X and any likely substitute are likely to be extremely subtle, and more likely completely nonexistent. In turn, you can weigh any possible difference against the convenience and familiarity of sticking with a known quantity.

But if you want to go with option 2 or 3, there's an entire range of products in the NAD family that could work, depending on exactly how you want to set things up. So far as I know, all of the relevant ones use BluOS, so again in the same "family" as the Node.

Good luck!

JeremyFife

Thanks. Are there any DACs that jump to mind that meet those criteria? I've looked into a bunch of different Topping ones in the past, but the recent reports of the volume going haywire and frying equipment has me skittish. The SMSL equipment (looking at the SU-9, for example) looks excellent.

Alternatively, I could do a minidsp flex as both the DAC and not lose out on the DIRAC, but that gets much more expensive.
I don't have huge personal experience, so do your own due diligence (do that anyway :) ) but the Review Index here has loads of options. The SU-9 is listed there at $440 ... you're in the ballpark for a Gustard X-16, not too far away from the miniDSP Flex and within a shout of perhaps the best loved DAC here: the RME-ADI.

The Toppings, SMSLs, and Sabaj etc DACs above and below this price point - with physical volume controls - are all good options.
As I understand it, any DAC is capable of going 'haywire' but really shouldn't ... just get into the habit of turning your DAC on and checking the level before you turn on any power amp (not after!).

If you like the SMSL SU-9 then why not - there is a 75 page review thread and it seems to be pretty good.

Apesbrain

If I were happy with BluOS and wanted to add a free-standing, dedicated listening zone, I'd look at the NAD integrateds with BluOS support on-board, probably the C 389 BluOS-D.

Top Bottom