• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speaker cable specs

Lambda

Major Contributor

CinDyment

No one forgot that
R and G are small and ignored
The freq component then cancels

My grad textbook

Well obviously they did, since we are talking speaker cables which don't carry square waves, but frequencies of a defined value typically <= 20KHz, which is why the long form of the equation IS critical. You will note that at high frequencies this simplifies to squrt(L/C). It does not at low frequencies. Again, over the audio frequency range, this changes quite a bit. R&G are ignored when we are talking square waves (rapid changes), that is not analog audio transmission.

@Lambda - This also effects the settling line, because it effects the mismatch.

index.php

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well obviously they did, since we are talking speaker cables which don't carry square waves, but frequencies of a defined value typically <= 20KHz, which is why the long form of the equation IS critical. You will note that at high frequencies this simplifies to squrt(L/C). It does not at low frequencies. Again, over the audio frequency range, this changes quite a bit. R&G are ignored when we are talking square waves (rapid changes), that is not analog audio transmission.

@Lambda - This also effects the settling line, because it effects the mismatch.

index.php
No it isn't
It is ignored for 60 Hz too

At 20,000 Hz
10' cable
R 2.42 Ohm/1000'
L 0.17 uH / ft
C 29 pF / ft

What is R and jwL (Xl)
What is 1/Xc (jwC)
What is 'j' btw??!

OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
It almost made me forget the thread started because someone wanted stuff tested and ranked even though they know it does not make a difference, they do not know which characteristics are most important (answer: None, if there is no audible difference), and they admitted they did not want to be the ones to do the work. And for that, you two are back at a debate between what was in someone college text book and what someone knows from hands-on experience.

And you bothered to enter the thread without reading what I wrote....

CinDyment

No it isn't

That could be because your concern is not 60Hz, it is transients at switching and most of the grid is not going to have zero voltage switches which if you did you for the most part would not care at all.

No it isn't

At 20,000 Hz
10' cable
R 2.42 Ohm/1000'
L 0.17 uH / ft
C 29 pF / ft

What is R and jwL (Xl)
What is 1/Xc (jwC)
What is 'j' btw??!

I can't hear at 20KHz, so I don't care. However, I do care at other frequencies.

Last edited:
OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
Wow, a thread started on a subject which has been irrelevant, discussed and solved long ago, has now turned into a Battle of The Engineering Stars.
Ok, so it is YOU who have the answer... What is the best measuring speaker cable?

Lambda

Major Contributor
I have an amp source, up to 200 A iirc
You don’t need to bring out the big guns... even 1A would have given you lots of resolution ( i assume the meter can measure down to µV with similar resolution and +-2 counts?) so 50mV is no big problem to measure and you dont have the lead/ connect resistance.
But we know you know... your just teasing us.

don't carry square waves,
square waves are like 0g peanuts.
nice in theory but you cant calculate with them.

but frequencies of a defined value typically <= 20KHz,
OP / This thread is not about "typically" if i understand @jensgk right.
So there is PCM DACs/music in 192khz and DSD even goes to 25Mhz?

I would say YOLO lets go with 1Mhz bandwidth since this is not about realism anyways.

DonR

Major Contributor
You don’t need to bring out the big guns... even 1A would have given you lots of resolution ( i assume the meter can measure down to µV with similar resolution and +-2 counts?) so 50mV is no big problem to measure and you dont have the lead/ connect resistance.
But we know you know... your just teasing us.
Actually, higher amperages are detrimental to resistance measurements as they add thermal EMF to the DUT and affect the reading. Proper lab micro-ohm meters mitigate these effects. Its all there in the "bible" : https://download.tek.com/document/LowLevelHandbook_7Ed.pdf

Slayer

Ok, so it is YOU who have the answer... What is the best measuring speaker cable?
Why does it matter when discussing speaker cables what is the best measuring cable? All you should care about is an adequate cable that does not cause any audible degradation.
If the best measuring cable is so important to you, then you must first decide what specific measurement is of the upmost importance to you. Then, you can pour through all the test measurements done by various individuals and make your own decision. This type of thread (no offense) just seems to stir-up unneeded conflict when there shouldn't be any over this subject.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Now add 40 of them and divide
btw
Calories are close 0 and you are measuring force, not energy
:D
(cough) kilograms are mass, Newtons are force (cough)

..figured this level of 'pickiness' is relevant seeing how the conversation has been going ;)

Lambda

Major Contributor
they add thermal EMF to the DUT and affect the reading.
A another thing we can’t forget to consider when talking abut speaker cables. :D
i don't want my cables all jumping around on me to the beat.

OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
Why does it matter when discussing speaker cables what is the best measuring cable? All you should care about is an adequate cable that does not cause any audible degradation.
Why does it matter when discussing DACs what is the best DAC? All you should care about is an adequate DAC that does not cause any audible degradation.
Because it could be fun to see what the state of the art is?

DonR

Major Contributor
A another thing we can’t forget to consider when talking abut speaker cables. :D
i don't want my cables all jumping around on me to the beat.
That must be where all these anti-resonance technologies come into play. Blocks of wood, anyone? :D

Ingenieur

(cough) kilograms are mass, Newtons are force (cough)

..figured this level of 'pickiness' is relevant seeing how the conversation has been going ;)
In this case it is force (gravity) exerted on the scale.
You can push a button and convert to Oz or Lb.

454 g = 1 lb
Lb is not mass, but a force
The mass is 1 lb /32 ft-sec^2 ~ 0.03 slug

Top Bottom