• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speaker cable specs

OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
Why? You are asking someone to do a lot of work for no reason. If it is not audible, who cares? You could pay someone to do it most likely, but not for free.
I am certainly not demanding or forcing anyone. I was just asking to see if there was interest. I am sorry if that was not clear.

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine
Example of the hydraulic compression fittin
40', measured Rdc

C198C8C3-ED92-49AC-A7DA-4AFD2BCCFF09.jpeg
FCDA79D6-5A6B-4271-B29E-5E76971DACB0.jpeg
CB9DD8A1-49B2-449A-91F1-515AE16D9668.jpeg

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
And? Is there?

EDIT: Never mind. More than enough so to see. :)

Last edited:

CinDyment

Nop. Thats just wrong.
There is no inherent frequencies limit at all. the question is how long is the wavelength in compression to the transmission line length.

Audio frequency are relay long 1/4 lambda of 20k in an audio cable is maybe Around 3km... so the effect on a typical 3m audio cable
(that’s 1/1000)
Is for all realistic assumptions neglectable. but OP says

this is not about realistic audible differences but theoretical measurable differences.

So in other threads we have no problem discussing differences at -120dB (that’s 1/1000000)

So dose it matter audible?
absolutely not!
but would the difference be measurable on -160dB scale (scale taht’s used in ASR DAC reviews)
also absolutely!

Characteristic impedance, as a term, only applies at higher frequencies either at the high end of the audio band, or outside the outside band where it is approximately constant. At audio frequencies it is highly variable.

Nope, my statement was absolutely correct, as written, and yours perhaps has some errors.

Most engineers forget that impedance has a frequency term to it:

1649349601291.png

the jwL and jwC terms dominate at high frequencies and the cable, within the limits of the frequency linearity of the capacitance and inductance reaches an asymptote. For practical purposes that typically happens from about 5K - 50K. For most cables, the impedance is highly variable (as per the equation) at audio frequencies and hence is impossible to "match".

W.R.T. to most simplifications of where transmission line effects have effects, they are just that, simplifications. The ones w.r.t. it only mattering if the cable is > 1/10th or 1/20th the wavelength is just one of those simplifications and has been around from the days of long telephone and telegraph wires where the SNR was <40db, and stayed around into the digital era where again, 40db would be for most applications more than sufficient.

At 3m, limiting the bandwidth to the audio bandwidth, 20-20KHz, even at a -160db scale I do not think you will measure a difference. At a 100K bandwidth and 10 meters you may. I have done the calculations before, not worth doing them again :)

CinDyment

Characteristic or surge Z means nothing for a few reasons:
You can't do anything about it
It only impacts reactive power transients
It is desired on the amp end, and if you alter that, it gets worse on the speaker end

Excuse the scribble

Where did you get these numbers, I did not follow:

1649350368874.png

Ingenieur

Inductance does not cancel
At 20 kHz and 10' Xl 0.21 Ohm vs Rdc of 0.05 Ohm

5CBE4FE8-770C-4AFC-A4FB-0392A17F4B7A.jpeg

Ingenieur

Where did you get these numbers, I did not follow:

View attachment 198308

The cable and speaker were calculated
Look at a speaker |Z| and phase plot
Phase swings typically -30 to +30, 8 ohm nominal
Lead lag depending on filter region
The net is (Xl - Xc) at that point
The equations are basic textbook stuff

Lambda

Major Contributor
you know that this is an foolish attempt to measure resistance in this order of magnitude.

Nope, my statement was absolutely correct, as written, and yours perhaps has some errors.
well ok yes i was neglecting DC resistance and Leakage.
At 3m, limiting the bandwidth to the audio bandwidth, 20-20KHz, even at a -160db scale I do not think you will measure a difference. At a 100K bandwidth and 10 meters you may.
not talking about magnitude errors alone there is also phase.
assuming there is significant impedance mismatch there can be reflections for some time.

At what frequency are all this effeckts below lets say relative 160dB? i don't know but if you have done the math pleses share it.

CinDyment

The cable and speaker were calculated
Look at a speaker |Z| and phase plot
Phase swings typically -30 to +30, 8 ohm nominal
Lead lag depending on filter region
The net is (Xl - Xc) at that point
The equations are basic textbook stuff

What "speaker" or evaluated? You marked as Zol (impedance of load). I have never seen a speaker with an impedance of 158 ohms at 1000 KHz, and 0.08 ohms at 100Hz, and the phase only changes the real/reactive component so not sure what you are calculating / referencing hence why I asked.

Ingenieur

Most engineers forget that impedance has a frequency term to it:

View attachment 198299

the jwL and jwC terms dominate at high frequencies and the cable, within the limits of the frequency linearity of the capacitance and inductance reaches an asymptote. For practical purposes that typically happens from about 5K - 50K. For most cables, the impedance is highly variable (as per the equation) at audio frequencies and hence is impossible to "match".

W.R.T. to most simplifications of where transmission line effects have effects, they are just that, simplifications. The ones w.r.t. it only mattering if the cable is > 1/10th or 1/20th the wavelength is just one of those simplifications and has been around from the days of long telephone and telegraph wires where the SNR was <40db, and stayed around into the digital era where again, 40db would be for most applications more than sufficient.

At 3m, limiting the bandwidth to the audio bandwidth, 20-20KHz, even at a -160db scale I do not think you will measure a difference. At a 100K bandwidth and 10 meters you may. I have done the calculations before, not worth doing them again :)
No one forgot that
R and G are small and ignored
The freq component then cancels

My grad textbook

8244ADD5-3E22-4ECB-9A2C-773F9F483ABA.jpeg

Ingenieur

you know that this is an foolish attempt to measure resistance in this order of magnitude.

well ok yes i was neglecting DC resistance and Leakage.

not talking about magnitude errors alone there is also phase.
assuming there is significant impedance mismatch there can be reflections for some time.

At what frequency are all this effeckts below lets say relative 160dB? i don't know but if you have done the math pleses share it.
No it isn't
Accuracy is +/- 0.05 or better
Calculated is ~ 0.05 Ohm

Ingenieur

What "speaker" or evaluated? You marked as Zol (impedance of load). I have never seen a speaker with an impedance of 158 ohms at 1000 KHz, and 0.08 ohms at 100Hz, and the phase only changes the real/reactive component so not sure what you are calculating / referencing hence why I asked.
You don't understand Zo
No use explaining

CinDyment

Did a quick look, but could not find quickly. The reflections themselves represent step functions but the underlying "frequency" is related to mismatch and cable length. My calculations were effectively related to settling time as I could related that back to resolution and bandwidth. Accurate enough for the discussion at the time. Pick the worst case mismatch for settling, then determine how many reflections till you settle to a sufficient accuracy.

CinDyment

You don't understand Zo
No use explaining

Humor me and all the other people reading your calculations and going "huh?" because they can't read your mind, and suspect your either made a mistake, you don't understand the problem, or are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you are a bad communicator.

Ingenieur

Humor me and all the other people reading your calculations and going "huh?" because they can't read your mind, and suspect your either made a mistake, you don't understand the problem, or are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you are a bad communicator.
You don't have to read my mind.
Read a textbook
The 158 Ohm is the characteristic or surge Z, not the Z

I do not need any benefit
8 x sin (30) = Xl
Xl = 2 Pi f L j, L is net at the phase point or C = unit 1
Zo = sqrt(L/C) as shown on the sheet

Or you simply do not have the background to comprehend the calcs?
You say I made a mistake about something you do not understand.
That is rich lol

Top Bottom