• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Long cables: interconnect vs speaker (plus cable cosmetics)

LuvTheMusic

Yet another itch to change something:

My setup has an equipment rack in a corner of the room with biamped speakers some distance away. Currently, the two stereo amps are on the rack, which means running long-ish speaker cables: the longer is about 25', which includes a few small detours to stay along the base of a wall.

So I'm just wondering if I should consider placing the amps near the speakers. This would mean running long balanced interconnects from the rack to near the speakers, then using short speaker cables.

I seriously doubt that this would result in any noticeable change, but want to ask the more knowledgeable folks here if there might be some slight throetical improvement. BTW, the cables are of the ASR-approved "get the job done" variety: current balanced interconnects are Monoprice Stage Right, so new ones would be the same, just longer; speaker wire is 12-gauge "speaker wire" of unknown provenance (but it really is 12 gauge and it's not turning green.....). Amps are 300 w/channel, speakers are 92db efficiency, so no crazy loading or anything like that.

Part of the issue also involves cosmetics. Speaker wires are fairly ugly; slim black balanced cables might look a little better and definitely are more flexible, so could tuck in better along the base of the wall. (Now if they just made them in a color to match our carpeting, but alas, no such luck.)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, there's a small theoretical advantage to long signal cables and short 'speaker cables. This is the small drop in level due to the cables' resistance and the small loss of 'damping factor' Both are indeed theoretical benefits as unless your 'speaker cables are seriously undersized, neither should be of any concern.

I've got the same issue, and elected to keep my three poweramps in the rack, and run a 6-way cable to the 'speakers, as it was tidier that way in my installation.

S.

ErVikingo

@LuvTheMusic

I ran long interconnects and have the 4 amps by the speakers.

Sounds beautiful HOWEVER I struggled with a ground loop issue since the amps are on a separate outlet than the sources and preamp.

I would run a test before embarking in relocating everything.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just use decent gauge speaker cable, thick enough to be appropriate for the distance. That's because everything but the speakers lives in a tidy 19" rack.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@LuvTheMusic

I ran long interconnects and have the 4 amps by the speakers.

Sounds beautiful HOWEVER I struggled with a ground loop issue since the amps are on a separate outlet than the sources and preamp.

I would run a test before embarking in relocating everything.
Exactly. If I wanted that sort of setup I'd definitely run balanced line-level connections.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Part of the issue also involves cosmetics.
There are various wiring channels that you can use to hide wires, or you can make something out of trim/molding, or maybe run the wires in the walls, through ceiling, or below the floor, etc.

robwpdx

From science, 25' of 12 gauge copper zip cord cable is .0397 Ohms, 500 pico-Farads, and 5 milli-Henrys.

What is the resistance, capacitance, and inductance of your speakers? I would guess much, much greater in comparison. Maybe the ASR lab needs a swept frequency LC tester?

Interesting question Henrys or Henries? I vote for the former, the latter is found often. :)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The best thing is to RF terminate speaker cables if they are any significant length:

egellings

Major Contributor
Yes, there's a small theoretical advantage to long signal cables and short 'speaker cables. This is the small drop in level due to the cables' resistance and the small loss of 'damping factor' Both are indeed theoretical benefits as unless your 'speaker cables are seriously undersized, neither should be of any concern.

I've got the same issue, and elected to keep my three poweramps in the rack, and run a 6-way cable to the 'speakers, as it was tidier that way in my installation.

S.
I'd go with the longer signal cable so long as the source has a sufficiently low output impedance so that the cable's C does not cause an audible HF rolloff. It's easier to send a line level signal than it is to send a signal with significant power behind it.

OP
L

LuvTheMusic

Thanks for all the replies! The summary is largely what I expected, but I greatly appreciate those more knowledgeable than I chiming in.

Speaking of summaries, here's what I took away from the replies: Yes, in theory, there might be a (very) small improvement; all else being equal, balanced interconnects is a better solution. Whether the change would be audible is an open question. And obviously the aesthetics are up to me!

I'll report back on results if and when I make any changes. Of course, my report will be filled with glowing references to pace, rhythm, and timing as well as choclately midrange improvements which my wife hears from the kitchen; it also will have the virtue of being completely unverifiable. :rolleyes:

OP
L

LuvTheMusic

There are various wiring channels that you can use to hide wires, or you can make something out of trim/molding, or maybe run the wires in the walls, through ceiling, or below the floor, etc.
Oh, good idea on the channels and thanks for the link. Sadly, moving wires inside walls, above ceiling or below floor is a non-starter in my situation.

Top Bottom