• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best small passive speaker for scientific setup

Alt93

Hello,

I am studying sound engineering and currently doing research on 3D audio. At the university we have a wonderful audio dome based on Genelec One's for this purpose. However, it is often occupied or only available in small time slots. I have a decent room at home and would like to build a small 3D setup myself for my work. For starters, it should be a classic 7.1.4 setup. For this I need affordable, small, passive speakers in the best possible quality. I know DSP very well, so corrections in the frequency range are no problem. Everything that can not be influenced with DSP, such as radiation pattern, resonances, etc. should be technically as good as possible.
Do you have any practical recommendations for me?
Many thanks already!

Mal

What do you mean by affordable? For some $50 is affordable, for others $50 000...

As you are a student, I'll assume $50 - Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 are small and cheap. I have a pair I use as computers speakers, but don't have the techie know how to give you detail on radiation patterns and resonances! They have been around a long time (decades...) so maybe do a Google search to see if anyone has used them in experiments like yours. They have a fairly good reputation and seem solidly built, I can't say more than that...

Amir did some serious measurements on the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s that might give a feel for Wharfedale in general... they are more than $50, though...

OP
A

Alt93

What do you mean by affordable? For some $50 is affordable, for others $50 000...

As you are a student, I'll assume $50 - Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 are small and cheap. I have a pair I use as computers speakers, but don't have the techie know how to give you detail on radiation patterns and resonances! They have been around a long time (decades...) so maybe do a Google search to see if anyone has used them in experiments like yours. They have a fairly good reputation and seem solidly built, I can't say more than that...

Amir did some serious measurements on the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s that might give a feel for Wharfedale in general... they are more than $50, though...

Thank you for the suggestion.
My bad, let’s define affordable speaker for a large setup to something between 50 and 150$ each.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for the suggestion.
My bad, let’s define affordable speaker for a large setup to something between 50 and 150$ each.
Are you comfortable with some basic DIY? The Parts Express C-Note earned a favorable review from amirm and cost only ~$50 each.

OP
A

Alt93

Are you comfortable with some basic DIY? The Parts Express C-Note earned a favorable review from amirm and cost only ~$50 each.

DIY is fine. But reading the measurements it seams to have some build related issues.

Mal

In glancing at the manual for my Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s, I was amazed at the number of "surround" options that were made available in the "9" series:

Josq

Hello,

I am studying sound engineering and currently doing research on 3D audio. At the university we have a wonderful audio dome based on Genelec One's for this purpose. However, it is often occupied or only available in small time slots. I have a decent room at home and would like to build a small 3D setup myself for my work. For starters, it should be a classic 7.1.4 setup. For this I need affordable, small, passive speakers in the best possible quality. I know DSP very well, so corrections in the frequency range are no problem. Everything that can not be influenced with DSP, such as radiation pattern, resonances, etc. should be technically as good as possible.
Do you have any practical recommendations for me?
Many thanks already!
Any special reason why it needs to be passive? Adam T5V are excellent actives, no amplifiers needed

Elitzur–Vaidman

Looks good! Thank you! And I forgot to mention that coax speakers are appreciated!
Any other models?
I don't think you'll be able to beat KEF Q150s given your price constraints unless you happen to find a good value DIY coax (I don't know any).

Mal

Looks good! Thank you! And I forgot to mention that coax speakers are appreciated!
Any other models?
The KEF Q100 had a mixed review, but you might find it in your price range second hand. Maybe contact KEF directly? They have a "send them your old kef and they give you 25% off the new kef" deal. Who knows? They might have a stock of old UNI-Q speakers and might be willing to sell them at rock bottom to a research student... worth asking them anyway...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-q100-speaker-review.11987/

The KEF LSX reviewed better. I have this as my main home speaker and I love it! You *might* find a pair heavily discounted/second hand for $600 if lucky... but it's not passive.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Kali LP6 2nd wave?

Mal

Would the latest generation of bluetooth speakers have sufficient quality/capability?

I was amazed at the improvements in sound of the Amazon Echo (4th gen). I have one in my kitchen and I don't find it too painful going from KEF LSX to Echo when listening to talk radio and light music.

Thread here where people are discussing setting up 5.1 etc. Echo based home theatre solutions:

Elitzur–Vaidman

If you're willing to consider active, I can endorse the JBL 306Ps (or 305Ps if weight is a big concern).

mkt

I am curious whether you plan to use an AVR or not. An audio interface with enough outputs would be fine with active speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any other models?
Q150 is the cheapest co-ax speaker around that I know. If you can EQ them, the results in a 3D system will be similar to the Genelec system but at lower SPL capacity.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the OP wants a 7.1.4 setup??? I wouldnt build anything and that gets old soon.

What OP needs to do is the keep an eye out for clearance items.

Harman are famous for this.

OP can get away with say 5" woofers if he relies on subs.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Do they have to be full range?

Otherwise perhaps have a look at KEF KHT-3005 or KHT-3005SE. You may be able to pick up a set or two for not too much.

Top Bottom