• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC to use with Topping L30

CarlToft

I am pretty confused about which DAC to buy for my Topping L30 amp. My only requirements are that it is as good as possible, has to be available in Europe, and it has to cost under $250.
Is gonna be used with my Hifiman Sundara's.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Get an affordable, well-measuring DAC like the Topping E30 and stop thinking about DACs for the rest of your life. :) Well, at least until it explodes or something. Which it probably won't. Probably. :p

OP
C

CarlToft

Get an affordable, well-measuring DAC like the Topping E30 and stop thinking about DACs for the rest of your life. :) Well, at least until it explodes or something. Which it probably won't. Probably. :p
Thanks, I know that the E30 and l30 are made to be matched. But there are a lot better-measured DACs, unfortunately, most of them are balanced. So I want to buy the best thing possible for the price, I know that you properly cant hear any difference but I still would love to know that I got the best thing.

Vict0r

Thanks, I know that the E30 and l30 are made to be matched. But there are a lot better-measured DACs, unfortunately, most of them are balanced. So I want to buy the best thing possible for the price, I know that you properly cant hear any difference but I still would love to know that I got the best thing.
The Topping E30 measured exceptionally well. The only place it gets better is in graphs and on paper.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I agree with the others that the E30 is what the doctor ordered, but honestly a Topping D10S would likely be all you need, it is cheaper than the E30 and won't be audibly any different.

Vict0r

Wouldnt the topping d10s be better?

The robot might analyze a slight difference, sure. :p The D10s looks like poop, though.

body-1-1.jpg

OP
C

CarlToft

I agree with the others that the E30 is what the doctor ordered, but honestly a Topping D10S would likely be all you need, it is cheaper than the E30 and won't be audibly any different.
I am pretty sure that the d10's also measured better

chuckt62

Editor
They were right next to each other Amir's graph. The E30 has more inputs.

index.php

jcarys

Based on your price point, the E30 is the obvious choice. That's the combo I have. If you use Tidal and care about MQA final decode, then the E50 on sale.

raif71

Major Contributor
I have the L30 and E30 combo and due to the lackluster output from the amp... I'd suggest using a higher output voltage dac to pair with L30. I have tested other gears with L30 such as mojo (output max 3.0V), Fiio K5 Pro and of course E30 (the first 2 mentioned are actually dac/amp) but the mojo sounds the best. With the other dacs that have the normal output voltage of around 2V, the output of the L30 seems bleh to me. In my practical operation of the amp, I prefer not to crank the volume above 3 o'clock for "normal" listening but I find I have to do that with other dacs except the Chord Mojo so I have come to this conclusion that L30 lacks power. When I say lacks power I mean it when I'm playing my quietest track, the sacd beethoven 5/7 by Carlos Kleiber, I'd have to go past this 3 o'clock dial though for pop songs, 12 o'clock was sufficient. All testing/listening using medium gain of L30 as I don't usually use high gain or prefer not to use high gain. Headphones used are sennheisers 6 series and Sundara.

jcarys

raif71, you must listen at a pretty high level. The E30/L30 combo with a Sennheiser 650 is loud enough to blow the phones off my head and halfway across the room. I'm not sure why you stop at 3 o'clock or don't use high gain, but that's what they're there for...

PS - I would suggest that the mastering level of the Kleiber is the issue, not the amplifier, for those phones.

Top Bottom