• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best budget studio monitors 6.5-8 inch at up to $1K a pair?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
There are so many budget studio monitors options it's confusing .
Which is the best one overall , 6.5-8 inch at the price mentioned above ?

Reactions: CMB

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL 708Ps seem to be a darling.

/Oops, beyond the budget

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't own proper monitors but there's a lot to choose from in that range.

I've been a JBL fan since the old days.

The JBL LSR308 always gets good ratings and it seems like a bargain. Personally, I wouldn't go with anything less than an 8-inch woofer, especially without a subwoofer.

...If you are using them as monitors (for audio production) they don't need to "sound great" or be "the best". Of course you don't want any big defects or weaknesses in the monitors or room acoustics, but the main thing is to learn what a good mix sounds like on your monitors so you can make a good production.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't own proper monitors but there's a lot to choose from in that range.

I've been a JBL fan since the old days.

The JBL LSR308 always gets good ratings and it seems like a bargain. Personally, I wouldn't go with anything less than an 8-inch woofer, especially without a subwoofer.

...If you are using them as monitors (for audio production) they don't need to "sound great" or be "the best". Of course you don't want any big defects or weaknesses in the monitors or room acoustics, but the main thing is to learn what a good mix sounds like on your monitors so you can make a good production.
Would you choose the JBL over the Adam T8V?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
This is a tough question and you have to narrow down what you like. Also, is a sub included for this price? Without a sub defintely bigger woofer. What's your usage? Monitoring, music listening, etc. How loud do you plan to play? Here are some top choices. Sorry no Genelec for this price without a sub IMHO:)

Ordered in my preference.

Without sub.
1. Kali IN-5/8 worth the extra over the LP-6/8 and the 308 IMHO. I use the IN-5 almost daily and really like it. They are in my living room which I use for my work out area. Yes, I'm single.
2. JBL LSR-306/308 (308/LP-8 very close go eith the one that has the better deal). I have a pair of 308s but since the IN-5 they have been relugated to the basement.
Have more limited experience with the ones below
3. Focal Alpha EVO 65/80
3. IK iLoud MTM (would like to spend more time with these)
I do have more experience with these and that is my ranking
4. Adam T7/8V (people tend to love the ribbon style tweeter or not, don't rule them out by my opinion)

With Sub
1. Kali LP-6/8 with WS-6.2 (definitely like the Kali sub better than JBL, I would consider it with other monitors, would probably go with LP-6 unless playing loud)
2. JBL LSR-305/306/308 with LSR-310 or pick your sub
3.IK iLoud Micro with pick your sub
3. Focal Alpha 50 EVO with pick your sub
4. Adam T5/7/8V with T10S sub (haven't used the TS10S sub but many manufacturers customize their crossover for their speakers and sometimes is a better fit than others)
5. Maybe Mackie MR series with MRS-10 sub

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
This is a tough question and you have to narrow down what you like. Also, is a sub included for this price? Without a sub defintely bigger woofer. What's your usage? Monitoring, music listening, etc. How loud do you plan to play? Here are some top choices. Sorry no Genelec for this price without a sub IMHO:)

Ordered in my preference.

Without sub.
1. Kali IN-5/8 worth the extra over the LP-6/8 and the 308 IMHO. I use the IN-5 almost daily and really like it. They are in my living room which I use for my work out area. Yes, I'm single.
2. JBL LSR-306/308 (308/LP-8 very close go eith the one that has the better deal). I have a pair of 308s but since the IN-5 they have been relugated to the basement.
3. Focal Alpha 65/80

With Sub
3. Focal Alpha 50 with pick your sub
There is an evolution for the Focal Alpha, codename EVO, since maybe 3 or 4 years. Pretty sure the first serie is no more available, everything is EVO now.

Rick63

I've been extremely happy for the 3 months I've owned my Dynaudio BM5 MKIII monitors. They usually sell for $1k but Sweetwater had them on sale for $800 when I got them.

I realize this site heavily favors speakers that measure well, and I have no idea how the Dynaudio's measure, but I have zero issues with them. In fact, I'm tickled to death with them.

I also care about build quality and feeling like I bought something that will last. I can't get past speakers that look/feel cheap or sound hollow when doing the knuckle rap test, no matter how good they sound. And I have very low tolerance for hiss. But that's me...

20231028_002229.jpg

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
There is an evolution for the Focal Alpha, codename EVO, since maybe 3 or 4 years. Pretty sure the first serie is no more available, everything is EVO now.
I was referring to the EVO but I am old school and just refer to them as Alpha 65, etc. I corrected it. Thanks for pointing that out. We have some customers that abolutely love their Focals. I hear them when working at certain locations but we don't carry them where I work. So, I haven't been able to take any home for testing.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I was referring to the EVO but I am old school and just refer to them as Alpha 65, etc. I corrected it. Thanks for pointing that out. We have some customers that abolutely love their Focals. I hear them when working at certain locations but we don't carry them where I work. So, I haven't been able to take any home for testing.
I like the old serie and also the new EVO. Moving a lot, the.Alpha 65 EVO is the one I bring with me because I like the sound and they're not heavy, easy to move. Focal and a balanced DAC, good time!

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I like the old serie and also the new EVO. Moving a lot, the.Alpha 65 EVO is the one I bring with me because I like the sound and they're not heavy, easy to move. Focal and a balanced DAC, good time!
The solo 6 is on a different planet

Ziltoe

Not sure what you mean with "best budget" speaker [you've just stipulated the price range [1000USD a pair - no Sub]].

Perhaps you better define first what is meant "best" budget speaker.

And also not sure for what purpose you're asking -> "pro" or "just listening to...".

Look at spinorama.org [you certainly know] and set filters; or look @sweetchaos recommended speakers.

However, in your price range and as many here already mentioned, IMO, the following speakers are "fine"
[at least having received a decent or better "Panther" by @amirm (not to forget Erin's measurements)]

JBLs [30(x)PMKII], KALIs [LPs and partly their INs], SWISSONICSs [XXX], ADAMs T(X)V etc.

Not budget speakers in this respect [perhaps "budget" due to their "performance"] but within your price range
[here in the EU]: KH80s, Genelec 8020/8030 - those I consider "best" speakers [still not knowing your definition of "best"].

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor

Rick63

Some better, some worse. The LYD 5 did well: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/dynaudio-lyd-5-studio-monitor-review.15963/
I tend to like Dynaudio speakers subjectively as well.

What would you call "budget"?

Well, I think different folks have a different opinion on what are "budget speakers".

The OP seems to consider anything up to $1K pr. as budget, while I consider up to about $500 as budget and my Dynaudio's lower midrange.

I'm sure there are some here that would consider $2-3K as budget speakers, given their finances.

Eric Natural

Amir recently had an amazing review of some small Adams but I love my Focal Alphas (that I’ve used since 2015) too much to change
Best of luck

Top Bottom