• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best budget studio monitors 6.5-8 inch at up to $1K a pair?

voltronic

Which only matters if you push them hard enough for it to matter. At my listening distance of 1.5 meters at an average of 75dBC, it does not matter.

Also, directivity is better on the IN-5.
I've been comparing Erin's measurements more closely, and watching his video summaries. The thing that concerns me the most about the IN-5 is the 7 kHz region dip. Erin commented that he noticed some missing reverbation in recordings. For the music I record (mostly choral, classical) that's something I am always focused on. But he is extremely positive about the 5's otherwise.

FWIW, in the comments of his IN-8v2 video, a few people asked about which he preferred, and he did say the IN-8.

Either way, what I get will be replacing an old, noisy pair of KRK RP-5 G2 so either of these should be a significant upgrade.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I've been comparing Erin's measurements more closely, and watching his video summaries. The thing that concerns me the most about the IN-5 is the 7 kHz region dip. Erin commented that he noticed some missing reverbation in recordings. For the music I record (mostly choral, classical) that's something I am always focused on. But he is extremely positive about the 5's otherwise.

FWIW, in the comments of his IN-8v2 video, a few people asked about which he preferred, and he did say the IN-8.

Either way, what I get will be replacing an old, noisy pair of KRK RP-5 G2 so either of these should be a significant upgrade.

I took that comment with a grain of salt as in, "I need to have something to say, so I will say this."

What 7KHz dip? The 5 is more linear than the 8 across the spectrum, and there is a narrow shallow difference at 7KHz that is most likely not even audible. Both speakers have a "droop" of sorts beginning at ~6KHz, but my in-room measurements do not show it, and neither do Erin's.

From Spinorama.org:
index.php

From Erin's Audio Corner:

PIR%20vs%20MIR.png

voltronic

I took that comment with a grain of salt as in, "I need to have something to say, so I will say this."

What 7KHz dip? The 5 is more linear than the 8 across the spectrum, and there is a narrow shallow difference at 7KHz that is most likely not even audible. Both speakers have a "droop" of sorts beginning at ~6KHz, but my in-room measurements do not show it, and neither do Erin's.
I was just reporting what he said in the video, but I get your point - the difference between the two at 7 kHz looks insignificant on the graphs. The difference around 13 kHz is much more significant. I wonder if that was actually the reduced reverbation energy Erin was hearing?

I see that Spinorama.org gives a better Flatness score to the IN-5, ±1.8 dB versus ±3.0 dB for the IN-8v2. It looks like that the reason for that is the IN-5 is a bit better behaved from 1-6 kHz or so, but I see that the IN-8v2 is better below 200 Hz. All of these linearity deviations are very small, and might not be noticeable in practice.

mjgraves

I should buy a pair of Kali IN-5 to be able to do side-by-side listening with my JBL 705s.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I was just reporting what he said in the video, but I get your point - the difference between the two at 7 kHz looks insignificant on the graphs. The difference around 13 kHz is much more significant. I wonder if that was actually the reduced reverbation energy Erin was hearing?

I see that Spinorama.org gives a better Flatness score to the IN-5, ±1.8 dB versus ±3.0 dB for the IN-8v2. It looks like that the reason for that is the IN-5 is a bit better behaved from 1-6 kHz or so, but I see that the IN-8v2 is better below 200 Hz. All of these linearity deviations are very small, and might not be noticeable in practice.

Below 200Hz is so heavily influenced the by the room, that as long as both are well-behaved, small differences are completely immaterial.

voltronic

Below 200Hz is so heavily influenced the by the room, that as long as both are well-behaved, small differences are completely immaterial.

Apologies; I misspoke earlier. Erin was talking about a dip from 7-10 kHz. But this dip is about the same in both speakers; not unique to the IN-5.

I think the thing that may have sealed it for me going towards the IN-5 is that the IN-8 has an audible and measurable midbass resonance. That's not too surprising if they didn't add additional bracing in the larger cabinet.

Last edited:

eric tee

I have promised to look possible options for a new 2.0 system for my friend. In the price category under 1000 euros . Without using Sub. The use would be almost 100% for listening to music, not needing for lowest lows freqs. Aprox in space (non-treated room) 20m2. Does anyone have experience with the Focal Alpha 80 Evo speakers, would be under 800 euros pair in Europe. With my limited skills, I haven't found any really reliable reviews of these.

What I've heard of some Focal's speakers (not 80 Evo) in showrooms and in a one in home environment. The impression has been quite positive.

As far as I understand, Focal has also presented good results in ASR measurements.

I'm a little sorry that I promised to help. Then in the previous decades, my own hobby has been quite small. Currently, I am quite satisfied with listening to music. With enough hardware for me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom