• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 16 Channel Processor On The Market

Blackdevil77

Hello,

This is my first post here but I’ve been reading a lot of the processor/receiver reviews on here and have been shocked (in a bad way) at how horrible they all seem to measure when compared with the manufacturer published specs. I currently own an Anthem AVM60 and am looking to upgrade to a 16 channel processor. So far, I haven’t found a single one that was recommended. The Monoprice HTP-1 gets a “no” and the SDP-55(AV40) gets a (hell) “no.” What 16 channel processor is actually decent? I didn’t see any reviews on the Trinnov, and I’m skeptical to buy such an expensive processor after seeing how these other processors perform in these test, especially when compared to cheaper processors. To drop that kind of money on a processor that doesn’t perform is something I’d like to avoid.

So what 16 channel processors actually do get a good recommendation after testing?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. He's only tested a couple so far.

I doubt any ever will either. By design of the IP cartels which own the formats they're meant to decode these devices are an endless series of unfixable black boxes with too many opportunities for thing to be ruined by one wrong decision.

OP
B

Blackdevil77

Nope. He's only tested a couple so far.

I doubt any ever will either. By design of the IP cartels which own the formats they're meant to decode these devices are an endless series of unfixable black boxes with too many opportunities for thing to be ruined by one wrong decision.

Maybe one day one manufacturer will get it right. Even these mega dollar processors are perform so poorly and out of spec, it’s discouraging. Makes dropping 5 figures on a processor even more difficult. I was hoping a Trinnov Altitude 16 would perform acceptably. Or at least the Lyngdorf MP-60 since the MP-50 measured pretty good. Hopefully he gets the opportunity to review some of these processors.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Trinnov or JBL Synthesis versions are probably high on the list though Amir has not measured one AFAIK. I just got mine installed and am disinclined to send it off for testing. Don't really want to know...

Bear in mind that a lot of the poor performance is still inaudible and when processing multiple channels there is a lot going on to distract you from -100 dB distortion. I have to keep reminding myself that 0.01% (-40 dBW, -80 dBV) or 0.001% (-50 dBW, -100 dBV) THD numbers were considered excellent until very recently, are inaudible to most of us (to say the least), and that speakers still dominate the distortion in most systems by an order of magnitude or more.

OP
B

Blackdevil77

Trinnov or JBL Synthesis versions are probably high on the list though Amir has not measured one AFAIK. I just got mine installed and am disinclined to send it off for testing. Don't really want to know...

Bear in mind that a lot of the poor performance is still inaudible and when processing multiple channels there is a lot going on to distract you from -100 dB distortion. I have to keep reminding myself that 0.01% (-40 dBW, -80 dBV) or 0.001% (-50 dBW, -100 dBV) THD numbers were considered excellent until very recently, are inaudible to most of us (to say the least), and that speakers still dominate the distortion in most systems by an order of magnitude or more.

I'm the exact opposite. My curiosity would definitely get the best of me, I'd be dying to know how it measures. I'm 75% leaning towards the Trinnov, but the Lyngdorf caught my attention because of those measurements from the MP-50 that were in that post. I hope Amir gets the opportunity to test an Altitude 16. It seems to get praise everywhere I read about it. I have an JBL M2 based system, so the Synthesis unit enticed me for a while, until I learned some of the features (I think 3D remapping?) was omitted from the JBL version.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's definitely true, but at these pricepoints I think we should expect more than "good enough".

OP
B

Blackdevil77

That's definitely true, but at these pricepoints I think we should expect more than "good enough".

I agree, they should at least come close to what the manufacturer states on the spec sheet. Many of these processors are way off the mark.

Top Bottom