• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer B2031A Measurement (broken sample?)

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried it. Muting shuts it off completely. Leaving it on only pays the highest frequencies.
Likely crossover
The lo pass looks ok, but the hi pass at the xover is FUBAR.
It's an active xover.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is my guess as well. Maybe a bad component, or one not soldered well enough in the crossover. I opened a ticket with them. It was quite an ordeal to register and file the claim.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is my guess as well. Maybe a bad component, or one not soldered well enough in the crossover. I opened a ticket with them. It was quite an ordeal to register and file the claim.
If you really want to know, could simply take out the tweeter and measure it solo.

An electromechanical failure is much more likely.

Ingenieur

Based on his measurements it looks like the tweeter can make sound as it climbs from 4k to 20k.
I would not crack the box open but a meter on the tweeter during a sweep would tell you if it is the signal or tweeter.
Flat V, tweeter
V shaped voltage response, xover

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

Amir during test:

76892691_215027752839662_8702358253347657223_n-5587223090.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Based on his measurements it looks like the tweeter can make sound as it climbs from 4k to 20k.
I would not crack the box open but a meter on the tweeter during a sweep would tell you if it is the signal or tweeter.
Flat V, tweeter
V shaped voltage response, xover
Don't want to mess with it now that I have filed a claim with them. Let's see what they say.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Extreme smiley faced profile. Notice how the notch slots in with our most sensitive hearing range. Makes for one smooooooooth sounding speaker. Or one for people with tinnitus centered in that range so as not to set it off while leaving other frequencies in both directions intact. The ultimate audiophile speaker for audiophiles with damaged hearing.

YSC

Major Contributor
Just in another post I was questioning the behringer quality control yesterday and today I saw this… seems really bad luck or their dud ratio is actually high as Google suggests.

Looks like some crossover component messed up in it

test1223

@amirm you seems to have a streak of bad luck. I cross my fingers for better luck in the future.

Sadly such things happen. Most of the time it is a combination of slightly faulty parts and more rough transportation. I once tested 26 studio monitors from a well regarded brand with good quality control. One of the speakers had a severe defect. All others where fine and provided a very good frequency response match since every single unit was measured and fine tuned by the factory...

It is very hard to avoid any faulty unit. Especially if the budget is very tight. I bet there are plenty speakers out there which had some issues which were never found like the focal speaker which was tested here...

YSC

Major Contributor
@amirm you seems to have a streak of bad luck. I cross my fingers for better luck in the future.

Sadly such things happen. Most of the time it is a combination of slightly faulty parts and more rough transportation. I once tested 26 studio monitors from a well regarded brand with good quality control. One of the speakers had a severe defect. All others where fine and provided a very good frequency response match since every single unit was measured and fine tuned by the factory...

It is very hard to avoid any faulty unit. Especially if the budget is very tight. I bet there are plenty speakers out there which had some issues which were never found like the focal speaker which was tested here...
but this one is a weird defect, I would expect if it's as factory shipped it would be very obvious with a 5 sec sine sweep before leaving the line, and what I mean weird is that for xover or driver defect I would expect it to be a complete silence of the tweeter, but this seems like the woofer rolls off correctly, and tweeter don't come to work until the highest octave is kind of weird

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ICs rarely break so my guess is poor solder joint.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What difference? Nearfield shows 30dB differences from 2 kHz to 20 kHz, that tracks the spin data very well.
Agree, was thrown off by the scaling. In any case, still would be easiest to check the tweeter.

As Amir indicates, not worth messing with as it will be handled by warranty.

ZööZ

Don't know how I possibly could have missed this thread! Have been waiting for this review for a long long time. Please tell me they sent you a new one already :eek:

Top Bottom