• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avantone Pro Gauss 7

HansHolland

official web site

Does anybody have experience with these loudspeakers?

Their advertisement reads like that they want to sell on the brand name Gauss and the white paper cone. Not so much on innovation.
But, these can still be good loudspeakers. And these are within my budget.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No measurements available, very (!) lightweight for its size, a lot of marketing speak: I am sceptical. But I have to admit, that I just saw them at a dealer while listening to the Neumann KH 310: no personal experience so far....

You could order them and drop ship them to Amir’s place :p

mightycicadalord

Interested myself but there's no data on them out there. I think they're using a Dayton tweeter that is no longer sold at PE.

The original gearspace (god I hate that awful place) new product alert claims 30hz extension, but now it's 50hz on the site.

biniek

there is review with measurments available

Grainned

I use them for one month
They are great. I upgraded from jbl 305mkii and it was clearly step up
Very detailed and smooth sound
Hey, hopefully you see this - have you found the avantone's to be noisy? like white noise when powered on without a sound source. (narrowing down my options after returning fostex and kalis which were too noisy for me) Thanks!

biniek

Hi
No audiable hiss even at 5cm from the speaker
They are dead silent compared to jbl
I love these speakers they are really awsome
Much better than every passive ones i owned

Darklight

Hi
No audiable hiss even at 5cm from the speaker
They are dead silent compared to jbl
I love these speakers they are really awsome
Much better than every passive ones i owned
Thanks for this info. I am very interested in these. I wondered if you found that you got good mix translation using these?

biniek

Im a music producer and songwriter so i dont mix but i would say they are very transparent

SouthernTD

I've owned these for a month now... ZERO Noise, Hiss, etc... I let them play (varied volumes but not loud) for 4 days before any critical judgment began.
Now, here it is... I'm an artist and producer. These are SO HONEST. Don't think NS-10s. Think much BETTER! So absolutely outstanding. They are now $499 a pair as opposed to when they first came out ($799 pair). More than enough power ( They can get VERY Loud-no distortion ) If you like coloring of any kind, look elsewhere. These boys are spot on. I tuned my sub in (Presonus T-10) AFTER listening for another week to the Pro 7s. I adore their Honesty in all spectrums of frequency. The Class D amps are so responsive with every single note at any level. I would have gladly paid $799 for them (great that I didn't have to) The Build quality is excellent-No wrapped vinyl here- Black ash REAL WOOD Veneer and matt black facia is classy-they are gorgeous! The refined Pulp/resin woofer is stiff and does require that break in time- Its GAU-AMT tweeter provides ultra-smooth response, with an impressive stereo-field - ZERO FATIGUE at all... IT's SO WORTH grabbing them !!! I am perfectly HAPPY with them. ( I'll likely buy another pair down the road)

Penelinfi

The review says otherwise on "colouration" .
They are likely ok, perhaps the cone breakup makes you fix that sensitive midrange area to not upset it, not sure if the port and box resonances help anything

"However, referring back to my FuzzMeasure analysis, it perhaps won’t come as a surprise to read that, along with the positives, I felt that the Gauss 7 is not without some subjective flaws. In particular, it displays to my ears a noticeable nasal and boxy character that colours voices and acoustic instruments. Feed it with less organic mix elements, synths and processed loops, say, and you may well not notice, but listen to naturally recorded voices, woodwind or acoustic guitars, for example, and the Gauss 7 imprints a degree of its own tonal personality on theirs. I suspect there’s three phenomena responsible: firstly the FuzzMeasure analysis suggests that the bass/mid driver diaphragm is somewhat uncontrolled towards the top of its band, and that could well result in a noticeable upper‑midrange signature. Secondly, the Gauss 7’s cabinet panels clearly play along with the music and, again, this is very likely to be audible (when the BBC LS3/5A was developed, even the variety of wood used for internal cabinet corner battens was found to be significant). And thirdly, that port organ pipe resonance is likely to play a part in the overall sound."

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
They try to justify the midrange mess and resonating cabinet by the low price and "that it’s intended to some extent to channel a West Coast vintage monitor vibe. And those monitors were flawed too.". This is a SOS review and it's as far as they can get to say "run" while still selling it as a positive review to the manufacturer

Last edited:

biniek

there is no audible coloration no matter what measurements say
believe or not these are stunning speakers -the best money can buy in this price

Penelinfi

Call me sceptical but the only two people with these seem like they're trying really hard to get others to buy the speakers...

biniek

it's not my intension
to be honest i got rid of them but i still consider them to be the best active monitors i owned
i've swithched to passive ones with sb acoustics drivers inside - much pricier but i really do miss the gauss 7's honesty and airy top end

SouthernTD

They are likely ok, perhaps the cone breakup makes you fix that sensitive midrange area to not upset it, not sure if the port and box resonances help anything

"However, referring back to my FuzzMeasure analysis, it perhaps won’t come as a surprise to read that, along with the positives, I felt that the Gauss 7 is not without some subjective flaws. In particular, it displays to my ears a noticeable nasal and boxy character that colours voices and acoustic instruments. Feed it with less organic mix elements, synths and processed loops, say, and you may well not notice, but listen to naturally recorded voices, woodwind or acoustic guitars, for example, and the Gauss 7 imprints a degree of its own tonal personality on theirs. I suspect there’s three phenomena responsible: firstly the FuzzMeasure analysis suggests that the bass/mid driver diaphragm is somewhat uncontrolled towards the top of its band, and that could well result in a noticeable upper‑midrange signature. Secondly, the Gauss 7’s cabinet panels clearly play along with the music and, again, this is very likely to be audible (when the BBC LS3/5A was developed, even the variety of wood used for internal cabinet corner battens was found to be significant). And thirdly, that port organ pipe resonance is likely to play a part in the overall sound."
Such a characteristic is not at all unusual with paper‑diaphragm drivers, especially those engineered for high sensitivity and high volume level potential, as the Gauss 7 pulp/resin drivers are. I've read and seen all of the specs. After a long period of break-in, I'm quite happy with them ( especially at this $$$ range) previous Monitors were the PreSonus Eris E7XTs. It's all good- everyone and even graphs are subject to the interpretation of each individual's assessment of "sound." Thanks for the post above... :)

SouthernTD

Call me sceptical but the only two people with these seem like they're trying really hard to get others to buy the speakers...
If you are referring to me- that statement is completely incorrect. I have zero to gain by posting the TRUTH and the experience with these monitors. We have 12 different pairs of Monitors in our large Studio. These are in my work studio ---I meant exactly what I said with absolutely NO purchase agendas. I personally don't care what folks buy. This is a forum- a discussion, a sharing mechanism - designed to discuss, share and gain information.

SouthernTD

"However, referring back to my FuzzMeasure analysis, it perhaps won’t come as a surprise to read that, along with the positives, I felt that the Gauss 7 is not without some subjective flaws. In particular, it displays to my ears a noticeable nasal and boxy character that colours voices and acoustic instruments. Feed it with less organic mix elements, synths and processed loops, say, and you may well not notice, but listen to naturally recorded voices, woodwind or acoustic guitars, for example, and the Gauss 7 imprints a degree of its own tonal personality on theirs. I suspect there’s three phenomena responsible: firstly the FuzzMeasure analysis suggests that the bass/mid-driver diaphragm is somewhat uncontrolled towards the top of its band, and that could well result in a noticeable upper‑midrange signature. Secondly, the Gauss 7’s cabinet panels clearly play along with the music and, again, this is very likely to be audible (when the BBC LS3/5A was developed, even the variety of wood used for internal cabinet corner battens was found to be significant). And thirdly, that port organ pipe resonance is likely to play a part in the overall sound."
ALL STUDIO MONITORS in this price range have some FLAWS---Some more than others. My comments are my own personal View of using them. I understood the graphs, the reviews, I Completely understood as a professional musician and producer the specs. They exceeded my expectations at this Price point. I think that's the breakdown here. I don't have any agenda, not getting paid, I've seen praises for Monitors that frankly SUCK and are highly colored and i would NEVER use them for any type of reference.. I simply was sharing a moment in time and how pleased I am. ( unexpectedly so )

We use the ATC LOUDSPEAKERS SCM100A PRO 3-WAY AS OUR REFERENCE MONITORS...​

Top Bottom