• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Dathzo

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Audyssey Room Equalization. Audyssey is standard technology in a number of Audio/Video Receivers such as the Denon AVR-X3600H I recently reviewed. The standard version in the AVR is mostly all or nothing so I downloaded the Marantz/Denon Android App that for $20 lets you customize some critical aspects of it as you will see later.

My setup is my main music system which I would show you a picture of but it got so torn up with cables going everywhere to wire up the AVR which I am ashamed to show you. So see this picture from measurements of the Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ:

index.php

I put the AVR on the center amp you see on the floor and wired it to the two Salon 2 speakers. The sub is no longer there so I did not have it connected or tested.

I first ran the Audyssey EQ using the software built into the Denon AVR. The process was straightforward requiring a pair of measurements for each seat and a couple in the back. The chirp signal was run at surprisingly soft level. Maybe the microphone is sensitive.

I got a kick out of a few pieces of cardboard/plastic that you put together to act like a tripod. It reminded me of the 25 cent wooden gliders we would build when I was a child! This is in sharp contrast to the professional setup/tripod that comes with the likes of Anthem ARC. Or Minidsp DIRAC.

I had a tripod that I was going to use but it had a larger screw terminal than the one that came with the mic. So I used my hand to hold the mic while the measurements ran, being thankful that they ran rather quickly.

When finished, I could tell the improvement in room modes being reduced which was good. I noticed that Dynamic EQ was on by default. I turned it off and the sound became a lot less pleasant (I used the "Reference" mode). So was time to go into the app to adjust things.

I bought the app for my Samsung S8+ phone. It installed and instantly recognized the Denon AVR which was great. The AVR by the way was hardwired using Ethernet. I went into the wizard on the phone and it proceed to play the chirp signal on the left speaker. Once done though, it waited a few seconds and then complained that it could not communicate with the AVR ("Communication error (2)"). I was surprised there were very few hits on google search for this.

I decided to upgrade the AVR firmware which restarted it. Sadly, that didn't fix anything. So I decided to kill the App on my phone and restarted it. This time it worked! I ran through the wizard which was similar to the one in the AVR. Once there though, I immediately turned off the "BBC dip" which is an ill thought of feature of Audyssey where by default it puts a dip in mid frequencies. All the work good speaker designers do to produce a flat on-axis response gets destroyed by this decision.

Next, I wanted to fix another ill which is the target response. Audyssey uses a flat target curve for low frequencies which is a mistake. Equalization usually brings down the peaks created by the room modes. This fixes the problem but then overall bass feels too low compared to no EQ, resulting in many people not liking automatic EQ. The right "target curve" is one that has emphasis for bass and some dipping for highs. There is quick target curve with the high frequency attenuation but none with bass boost which is major miss. I had to create this manually which was a major pain to do by hand on a touch screen. Still, I managed to get there with a quick and dirty one:

View attachment 59655

Sorry for spelling mistake. :)

Audyssey App then did its thing and reported this as before an after:

View attachment 59656

As you will see shortly, the before measurements are pretty accurate. The after curve though seems like a miracle with every up and down completely eliminated, sans that one dip in low frequencies. This is a simulated lies of course. Audysssey does not remeasure the room to tell you what the after EQ results look like. This is some kind of simulated results which is basically the target curve and not much more. Since measurements are made at multiple points, repeating them is very hard anyway so even if it wanted to remeasure, it could not replicate the same conditions.

Anyway, I told it to upload the data to the AVR which took a bit. Once there, the results were superb! The sound out of my system was now reference quality, pinning me down to my seat listening to track after track from my "audiophile" playlist. Room modes were gone and the deep, floor shaking bass that I expect from my Salon 2 speakers were back with the new target curve. Detail was to die for. Bass was clean. On and on.

I do wish that I could have multiple target curves to compare. Sadly there is no way to have multiple profiles in the AVR for different target curves. Every change to the target curve requires download into the AVR and waiting for it to restart. My Dirac EQ lets me do that and switch between them in a second or two. AVRs are built cheap and don't have the necessary memory for multiple filter coefficients.

Room EQ Verification
Given the fact that the app lies to us as far as the response after the measurement, we need to do our own homework to see what has been done. For this, I measured the room using my own microphone and Room EQ Wizard. I used a USB to S/PDIF converter to push audio into the Denon AVR and switched Audyssey on and off. Here are the results with 1/12 octave filtering so we can see what is going on in the important low frequency domain:

View attachment 59657

I have noted in my speaker reviews how I filter out a room mode at 102 Hz and you can see the reason clearly here. The black curve is without EQ and we see a very high amplitude peak there. It is about 8 to 10 dB higher than average level! Audyssey EQ has correctly identified that peak and pulled it down to the custom target curve I had created (red graph).

The dips are reduced in bass frequencies which usually is hard with just a filter. Dips are created due to partial cancellation of the direct and reflected sounds. Changing the signal electronically modifies both direct sound and reflected one so the net sum is zero. In practice, you can try to boost them a few dB and see what happens (this stressed the amplifier and speaker by the way). Alternatively EQ systems bring the entire level down and as such, what used to be a deep dip, is no longer so. Once all the correction is done, they slightly boost things back up. I am assuming that is what is going on.

Stepping back for a second, we can see the red graph looks nothing like the one the App had told us was "after" results. Even if we filter the curvers a ton, we still don't get to what it said was happening:

View attachment 59659

I have overlaid the target curve on top of the before and after measurement. We see that it has generally followed that curve. The big dip at the end is probably due to my measurement mic running without calibration.

Conclusions
I came into this review expecting Audyssey to not perform. That was my experience and that of formal blind testing of it years back. The out of box results of this "XT32" version was better than I remembered. Still, using the App is mandatory to properly incorporate a target curve with more bass and removal of "BBC dip." Once there, I had no issues with its performance and I think it comes very close to advanced solutions like Dirac and Anthem ARC.

I am happy to recommend Audyssey XT32 with use of Denon/Marantz app to customize it.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I just bought a $600 lift to help me elevate big and heavy speakers onto my measurement rig. Needless to say, nothing makes more more depressed than spending my own money. So I hope you help replenish my piggy bank by donating what you can using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Great review @amirm! Maybe it is already in the funnel, but any chance of a detailed Dirac review? Even better would be a comparison review of room correction, e.g., Dirac, Audyssey, ARC, GLM, Acourate, etc... a lot to ask, but I’m positive this would be an epic thread! :).
Thanks.-

Fastfwd

I wonder why Denon doesn't fit out their 2ch amp with Audyssey

I haven't read this entire 24 page thread, but I did come here to start looking through it to see if there was any mention of something I just discovered after over a year of using Audyssey exclusively with 2 channel and otherwise.

Somebody over on a Roon forum tipped me off that in pursuit of 'high resolution' playback with Tidal, etc. that I should be aware that Audyssey converts all signals to PCM (instead of DSD for example) and 48khz. I'm not sure if that was 24/48 or 16/48, but nevertheless. I've been listening to what is starting to become a pretty pricey little collection of SACD discs that I didn't realize were getting internally converted to some flavor of PCM at 48khz. My Denon only reports an input signal received that is DSD from my player.

Audyssey is functioning at a 48kHz sample rate

I won't go deep into the history of why Audyssey made such an impression on me that I never looked back at Direct/Direct Pure modes on my Denon, but I will say that the new external amp (and added damping factor it brings to the table) along with the revelation that Audyssey is actually downmixing everything 'high resolution' to PCM 48khz has caused me to give those Direct/Pure Direct modes another listen and I'm liking it.

In my setup with the Revel f35 mains for 2 channel I've noticed that going back to the Direct modes actually sort of relaxes the sound, but it's not as dull and lacking of definition as I remembered it being. When I turn it on I get a little more 'forward' maybe sound from certain recordings. My guess is that it gives me a more flat response that is maybe a little more monitor like or 'audiophile' as I have seen those references tossed around.

I have the app and the last configuration I used I took out the BBC Dip and eq'd it up to 10khz. So, that has a lot to do with how mine sounds. It could be toned down, but for some rather 'dull' recordings (in 16/44 perhaps even) it might actually be preferred to liven them up. I like having the option to switch it up.

I hate to say it, but turning it off gave me the impression that it was a little more laid back like what I'm only guessing a vinyl sound would be more like. It's a little easier to listen to for me with some material.

Fillius

Forum Donor
I haven't read this entire 24 page thread, but I did come here to start looking through it to see if there was any mention of something I just discovered after over a year of using Audyssey exclusively with 2 channel and otherwise.

Somebody over on a Roon forum tipped me off that in pursuit of 'high resolution' playback with Tidal, etc. that I should be aware that Audyssey converts all signals to PCM (instead of DSD for example) and 48khz. I'm not sure if that was 24/48 or 16/48, but nevertheless. I've been listening to what is starting to become a pretty pricey little collection of SACD discs that I didn't realize were getting internally converted to some flavor of PCM at 48khz. My Denon only reports an input signal received that is DSD from my player.

I won't go deep into the history of why Audyssey made such an impression on me that I never looked back at Direct/Direct Pure modes on my Denon, but I will say that the new external amp (and added damping factor it brings to the table) along with the revelation that Audyssey is actually downmixing everything 'high resolution' to PCM 48khz has caused me to give those Direct/Pure Direct modes another listen and I'm liking it.

In my setup with the Revel f35 mains for 2 channel I've noticed that going back to the Direct modes actually sort of relaxes the sound, but it's not as dull and lacking of definition as I remembered it being. When I turn it on I get a little more 'forward' maybe sound from certain recordings. My guess is that it gives me a more flat response that is maybe a little more monitor like or 'audiophile' as I have seen those references tossed around.

I have the app and the last configuration I used I took out the BBC Dip and eq'd it up to 10khz. So, that has a lot to do with how mine sounds. It could be toned down, but for some rather 'dull' recordings (in 16/44 perhaps even) it might actually be preferred to liven them up. I like having the option to switch it up.

I hate to say it, but turning it off gave me the impression that it was a little more laid back like what I'm only guessing a vinyl sound would be more like. It's a little easier to listen to for me with some material.
If you still want to apply room correction and you have a UMIK-1, you can record some correction filters in RoomEQ wizard and apply them to Roon.

I haven't tried it yet, but I do plan to soon, to see how it compares to Audessey.

I gather that you need to record a correction filter for each bitrate/samplerate which will take some effort to cover all combinations of PCM and DSD you use.

Here's the guide if you're interested:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide-how-to-do-room-correction-and-use-it-in-roon/23800

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Audyssey makes many speakers brighter with its default curve which I always criticize. I almost always recommend people use the MultEQ app to limit correction to 300-500 Hz so they can hear their speakers naturally with a corrected bass region - unless they are naturally bright speakers. Then I use full range to tame the treble.

Fastfwd

Audyssey makes many speakers brighter with its default curve which I always criticize. I almost always recommend people use the MultEQ app to limit correction to 300-500 Hz so they can hear their speakers naturally with a corrected bass region - unless they are naturally bright speakers. Then I use full range to tame the treble.

I know, I've seen the recommendation to use a much lower eq limit. I just ignored it, but I might give it a try and make a few more tweaks and see if I find a nice balance. There's no doubt that I actually prefer what Audyssey does with some material. Even with it set like it is.

What initially just blew me away was putting this Denon with Audyssey in place of an old Onkyo TXSR700 receiver and speakers that I had been running for like 18 years. Ascend CBM-170s for my 5 ear level speakers and an Adire Audio Rava sub. Wow! It transformed what could come out of that old setup. The 2.1 listening was unlike anything I thought possible. With those Ascends I almost had to run 2.1 too.

Even with the Denon on the Revel F35s I think Audyssey made a bigger impact before adding the amp. It helped out providing a little more definition down low where it was struggling to really control those Revels imo. The new amp can handle them easily, but I may find that I still prefer that added correction Audyssey provides with them too in the longer run.

Right now I've discovered the Pure Direct is actually usable with the new amp and I'm enjoying how it sounds. It still makes some things sound a bit dull though. I haven't listened to one of the SACD discs again yet that I would say I prefer with Audyssey turned on. Placebo effect maybe idk.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In regards to Audyssey making speakers bright with the default curve, this certainly can be true. And like you mentioned the easiest way to fix this is to limit correction. It is worth trying 300/500/1K for sure. If you want to EQ higher with Audyssey it can do very well but it takes a bit more work. to confirm with REW what Audyssey is doing. Or if you want to be more precise use ratbuddyssey. @peng has a nice thread that goes into what it is, how to use it and some great examples of how effective it can be. LINK

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If your limiting correction to 500 Hz, how can you then use full range to tame the treble?

Soriku

Can someone clarify? When you run the Filter Frequency Range and limit the frequency to 300 hz or whatever, does this only apply to the Reference setting? Or also the Flat?

wheresmymoney

Can someone clarify? When you run the Filter Frequency Range and limit the frequency to 300 hz or whatever, does this only apply to the Reference setting? Or also the Flat?
If using limited correction range, eg <500Hz, and setting to Reference curve, does it still apply the High Frequency Rolloff 1/2? I wouldn’t think it would, but flat seems brighter (and more desirable due to my speakers/room/old man ears). I need to play some tomorrow and get REW/Umik out. Maybe I’ll just have to do full range and tweak the curve.

Fillius

Forum Donor
If using limited correction range, eg <500Hz, and setting to Reference curve, does it still apply the High Frequency Rolloff 1/2? I wouldn’t think it would, but flat seems brighter (and more desirable due to my speakers/room/old man ears). I need to play some tomorrow and get REW/Umik out. Maybe I’ll just have to do full range and tweak the curve.
Flat probably seems brighter because it's boosting the higher frequencies, not because the limited reference curve is rolling them off.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the HF rolloff is applied when the correction frequency is limited, but I haven't done the measurements to confirm.

Flat IS brighter by nature though. I'd go so far as to say it's wrong for most speakers and rooms – but it does sound better on very laid-back speakers.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Question to Audyssey XT32 gurus.

In my system, I haven't had the time to measure with REW and UMik and use my miniDSP , frankly I don't feel the need in the smaller room for all that complication but ...
I have 2 Audyssey XT32, curves/settings. One for 2-channel music and another for HT (LCR, 2 Surrounds, + 2 Atmos ceiling speakers ), same subs... I like what I have heard so far ... but ...
For the 2 modes, I set the front channels as "small" .. Audyssey accepts it but cross them over at 40 Hz... regardless
On HT I don't mind the sound is glorious ... On 2-channel? Well .. It is good but ...
If I edit the settings and cross the front speakers at 80 Hz, then the sound becomes, for the lack of a better word, "thick"... bass heavy, not defined and clear bass.. If I leave it alone .. then the bass is good but the midrange seems to suffer. Female voices acquire a thickness I could do without :(...
The way the app works is that it sends signals to the speakers and identifies as "small" or "large" according to the way they reproduce the test signals ...
I want to relieve the JBL LSR 308 from the reproduction of low bass ...How do I address this? How do I "tell" , thus forcing Audyssey XT32, to cross the speakers at 80 Hz and conduct the subwoofer corrections and settings with the speakers crossed over at 80 Hz?

Peace and thanks in advance

P.S>

I have Radbussey but it crashes regularly on the 2 Thinkpad laptops I have ...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AVR is setting speaker "size" (or turning bass management ON "small" or OFF "large") and setting crossovers based on what Audyssey measurements report. You can move the crossover up but not down from these values because no filters were created for the speakers lower than that frequency. There is no way to force a crossover before measuring.

You'll need to adjust the subwoofer distance setting to smooth the crossover to the speakers. Some call it the "sub distance tweak".

I bet measurements would uncover a problem and is why the AVR didn't default to 80 Hz. Hard to say.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The way the app works is that it sends signals to the speakers and identifies as "small" or "large" according to the way they reproduce the test signals ...
I want to relieve the JBL LSR 308 from the reproduction of low bass ...How do I address this? How do I "tell" , thus forcing Audyssey XT32, to cross the speakers at 80 Hz and conduct the subwoofer corrections and settings with the speakers crossed over at 80 Hz?
I'm not quite sure I follow what you have done and want to do and what Audyssey software you are using?
You sad "Radbussey" is crashing but are you using the Editor app that allows you to modify your curve?
Do you have a smart phone or tablet to run the Editor on, or install Bluestacks android imulation on your laptop to run Editor on..

If I understand you right, you want to run the autoeq wizard for a second time after you manually change the crossover point set by the first run. There really isn't any way to do that AFAIK, you'll need Editor or Ratbuddy to edit the curve manually.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not quite sure I follow what you have done and want to do and what Audyssey software you are using?
You sad "Radbussey" is crashing but are you using the Editor app that allows you to modify your curve?
Do you have a smart phone or tablet to run the Editor on, or install Bluestacks android imulation on your laptop to run Editor on..

If I understand you right, you want to run the autoeq wizard for a second time after you manually change the crossover point set by the first run. There really isn't any way to do that AFAIK, you'll need Editor or Ratbuddy to edit the curve manually.
@Sal1950

Here is my issue. Audyssey, either from the AVR or the App, doesn't seem to care about what you choose in term of your speakers abilities. If one choose "small" for the speakers, Audyssey will base its setting on the response it reads to its "chirps". Audyssey will base its crossover setting on what it thinks your speakers capable of. If your speakers can reproduce 40 Hz then it will cross them at 40 Hz ... Even if you set them as "small". Thing is the LSR 308 are, capable of reaching 40 Hz at substantial SPL. Audyssey , "sees"them as almost full range and uses that response with the subs for the overall correction. It results that lot of basss is sent to the speakers.
The LSR 308 , however great that they are , distort everywhere and IME in an audible fashion when asked to reproduce a lot of bass. Not in an horrible, run-out-of the room fashion but it is audible and it affects the midrange, IME.
I am satisfied with the overall correction curve. I don't seem to need more bass than the Audyssey default curve provides. I actually find the corection to work well using it up to 20 KHz... I don't (yet?) need to change the overall curve. I want the Audyssey APP, to treat the LSR 308 as "small" thus crossing them over at 80 Hz. It does not, it crosses them at 40 Hz, calls them "Small" but send them bass .. Lot of it. The overall bass response is used with the subs for the correction.
I have manually set the crossover at 80 Hz, in the Edit portion of the APP. Overall results suffers. Bass becomes boomy. I haven't measures the overall system ((L,R, + 2 Subs) with REW, yet. I plan to do it some time this week or the next but, the system for sure sounds different and worse when I manually set the speakers to 80 Hz.
Nitpicking, perhaps.
Hope it made sense :).

Last edited:

Desmo

@Sal1950

Here is my issue. Audyssey, either from the AVR or the App, doesn't seem to care about what you choose in term of your speakers abilities. If one choose "small" for the speakers, Audyssey will base its setting on the response it reads to its "chirps". Audyssey will base its crossover setting on what it thinks your speakers capable of. If your speakers can reproduce 40 Hz then it will cross them at 40 Hz ... Even if you set them as "small". Thing is the LSR 308 are, capable of reaching 40 Hz at substantial SPL. Audyssey , "sees"them as almost full range and uses that response with the subs for the overall correction. It results that lot of basss is sent to the speakers.
The LSR 308 , however great that they are , distort everywhere and IME in an audible fashion when asked to reproduce a lot of bass. Not in an horrible, run-out-of the room fashion but it is audible and it affects the midrange, IME.
I am satisfied with the overall correction curve. I don't seem to need more bass than the Audyssey default curve provides. I actually find the corection to work well using it up to 20 KHz... I don't (yet?) need to change the overall curve. I want the Audyssey APP, to treat the LSR 308 as "small" thus crossing them over at 80 Hz. It does not, it crosses them at 40 Hz, calls them "Small" but send them bass .. Lot of it. The overall bass response (( response is used with the subs for the correction.
I have manually set the crossover at 80 Hz, in the Edit portion of the APP. Overall results suffers. Bass becomes boomy. I haven't measures the overall system ((L,R, + 2 Subs) with REW, yet. I plan to do it some time this week or the next but, the system for sure sounds different and worse when I manually set the speakers to 80 Hz.
Nitpicking, perhaps.
Hope it made sense :).
I think I know what you mean. I have had this problem also in a setup a few years back.

There are subwoofer manufacturers that tell you that if you adjust the subwoofer crossover manually
you should also adjust the volume of the subwoofer. So crossover up, volume lower and viceversa.

I do believe that Audyessy does not change the volume of the subwoofer when you choose a higher
crossover within Audyessy. You can however change the volume of the subwoofer with the option
button on your remote for the source that you are using.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again bass management is done in the AVR, not by Audyssey. Levels, delays, and bass management are all zeroed out/turned off for measuring so there's no point to pre-setting them. Audyssey is going to EQ both the sub(s) and speaker(s) to flat to correct for the room independently of any crossover. Your choice of crossover does not change that. Your choice of small is not ignored – you set it afterward, not before, as speakers have to be run full-range in order to be measured and equalized. Dirac works the same way. Upload your corrections to the AVR then set the speakers to small and set your crossovers in the AVR, or in the Audyssey app to save as part of your preset, then upload.

It is typical for different crossovers to give different (better/worse) results depending how well your room problems can be corrected. You can try to improve the crossover by adjusting the subwoofer distance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom