• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey XT32 vs REW comparison

OP
R

robh

How much is safe? I did about 2-3dB in a couple places; probably the room nulls. They're the main reason I started the thread.
It doesn't make it flat. It just reduced the ski slope.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How much is safe? I did about 2-3dB in a couple places; probably the room nulls. They're the main reason I started the thread.
It doesn't make it flat. It just reduced the ski slope.
2-3 is fine, but not more.. As I mentoned before, you can improve those nulls by more than 2-3 dB or a little more potentially, without applying boosts, but the process would likely be very time consuming. I have done it (others have done it), can show you my rew graphs when I get home, if you are interestef.

Last edited:

ExPerfectionist

Nulls are cancellations where the waves cancel each other out. No amount of boosting the signal there will fix or return the response to normal, and it just wastes amplifier power and drives the speaker extra hard. Those frequencies are audible elsewhere in the room, just not where the mic was that measured the null cancellation.

There can be dips, or lower areas between frequencies that are boosted.

Dips can be helped by adding a boost, and as others have said, it's usually best to reduce the peaks.

Reactions: phn
OP
R

robh

Nulls are cancellations where the waves cancel each other out. No amount of boosting the signal there will fix or return the response to normal, and it just wastes amplifier power and drives the speaker extra hard. Those frequencies are audible elsewhere in the room, just not where the mic was that measured the null cancellation.

There can be dips, or lower areas between frequencies that are boosted.

Dips can be helped by adding a boost, and as others have said, it's usually best to reduce the peaks.
As I've learned, and have been reading. I wanna thank everyone on this thread of mine.

I will no longer boost room nulls, but simply live with them short of buying a second sub. All the valleys I want to boost are between 60-100, which as I've learned, is a no-no.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find this interesting. Below are measurements of my left speaker (as an example) in my 3.1 setup. Same previous Reference Audyssey calculation, speaker set to small, with 40, 60 and 80Hz crossovers measured with REW. These measurements include the sub. When I initially ran Audyssey, it autoselected my crossover at 40Hz. Per Marantz documentation, it said I can safely set it higher if I want, but not lower of course. So I set it for 60Hz thinking I might as well give my subwoofer more to do.

The resulting graph looks interesting. There is no good answer, but it appears Audyssey isn't compensating for my subwoofer at 65Hz. 'Could be placement, as some of you mentioned.

Meanwhile, my Ascend Sierra-LX on its stand, in a totally different spot, has no trouble with 65Hz but poops out around 40Hz, which is expected for a bookshelf (I assume the blue line 20-35Hz'ish is sub). Without further adjustments, there is no good answer.

Since I don't want to buy a miniDSP, it looks like I'll take the advice here and just manually adjust it with ratbuddyssey to get it closer to level. It's a shame vanilla Audyssey isn't more adept. What's more upsetting are the original Audyssey graphs shown in ratbuddyssey (in my original post) are wildly wrong, which will make the adjustments more trial & error. I assume REW measurements are more accurate, unless someone says otherwise??

Thanks everyone.

View attachment 322760

If you don't mind doing a quick experiment, try the following with Ratbuddsyssey:

After that, run REW to see the effects, and then figure out how much you have to adjust the subwoofer level trim to restore level balance with the mains. Again, this will be an experiment only, so you can see the effects of doing cuts to reduce the dip at about 60-71 Hz. If it works, it is really just for visual effects, that narrow dip is not going to be that audible anyway.

1699099918484.png

Top Bottom