• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Room EQ Review

I suggest measuring the sub and the speakers to verify the effects of the app.
Then put a crossover 80 and measure speakers + sub
The distances of the speakers and sub as measured by the app.
All measurements you make will be with deq off.
If all goes well you will need to give a curve over 1khz depending on your tastes. Usually you need a downhill of 4 db at least up to 20khz
If you can change the position of the sub for a smoother response you will have better results.
Is the center speaker mounted on a piece of furniture?

I find that the Audyssey sub distance is always more than the actual tape measurement from the MLP. Should we leave it as is? I found slightly better bass response when I corrected it to the actual distance in ft? Maybe they are not correlated.

I tried different sub configurations. My room is a asymmetric. All three speakers are at least 2 ft from the back wall. The right speaker has no side walls as it is an open floor plan. I have two options for the left speakers. Either I have the sub closer to the side wall and reduce the spacing between the left and right speakers to 6 ft, or bring the sub between the left and center, and the left closer to the side wall (about 1.5 ft away) and this also increases the spacing between the front L and R channels to about 9 ft. I find the bass output is more if the sub is closer to the side walls.

The center speaker is on the cabinet, but I do have acoustic foam pads under it for isolation. I have an option of placing the center in front of the TV cabinet on a dedicated 18 inch stand. Attached is a pic of the set up with the sub between the left and center channels.

Attachments

• living_room_setup.jpeg
    living_room_setup.jpeg
    652.6 KB · Views: 215

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that the Audyssey sub distance is always more than the actual tape measurement from the MLP. Should we leave it as is? I found slightly better bass response when I corrected it to the actual distance in ft? Maybe they are not correlated.
They are not. The subwoofer "distance" is actually related to a delay value in ms that the system found to be optimal.

With that said, you should still play with it after an Audyssey run to try to get a better blend to the front speakers.

KKoen

What is the response of the sub if placed on the other side? You have tried ?
A second sub in the other position will give you a smoother response to multiple listening positions.
If you can give us both measurements with audyssey off.
You will spoil the aesthetics if the center speaker comes in front and I do not recommend it.It is nice there.
If you can lift it a little more without disturbing the view it will be better.

What is the response of the sub if placed on the other side? You have tried ?
A second sub in the other position will give you a smoother response to multiple listening positions.
If you can give us both measurements with audyssey off.
You will spoil the aesthetics if the center speaker comes in front and I do not recommend it.It is nice there.
If you can lift it a little more without disturbing the view it will be better.

Yes, I tried both positions. The sub did sound a bit louder in the corner as expected. I was hoping the towers might have a bigger soundstage if the sub was in the middle. Will take REW measurements in both positions and post this weekend.
I also have a small isolation platform on which I can place the center over the cabinet, that could give an extra few inches of height. Will try that out as well. Thanks!

A basic question in REW -- While taking multiple measurements with REW, do we have to keep changing the master volume in the AVR for every seating position so that it always outputs at the same db level? I use the "Check Levels" feature in REW (which plays the pink noise) and adjust the AVR volume before taking a measurement in that position. For example, I have found that the right speaker is a couple db lower in the left most seat than the right or center seats in the couch.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A basic question in REW -- While taking multiple measurements with REW, do we have to keep changing the master volume in the AVR for every seating position so that it always outputs at the same db level? I use the "Check Levels" feature in REW (which plays the pink noise) and adjust the AVR volume before taking a measurement in that position. For example, I have found that the right speaker is a couple db lower in the left most seat than the right or center seats in the couch.
No, leave the AVR at the same level for all measurements.

Is this post-Audyssey setup and it still has one channel lower? I would instead raise that channel. I would not normally recommend that but you have the low levels you are seeing in REW and you should do a music test with a strong center vocal track and see if it pulls to one side.

No, leave the AVR at the same level for all measurements.

Is this post-Audyssey setup and it still has one channel lower? I would instead raise that channel. I would not normally recommend that but you have the low levels you are seeing in REW and you should do a music test with a strong center vocal track and see if it pulls to one side.

Yes, this is post-Audyssey. I find that all the speakers are at the same volume level at the center spot but as I move to the right or left positions, the SPL indicator in the "Check Levels" test varies by a db or two. So I change the master volume to adjust the db output to the starting output level. Not sure why there is variation in output from one seat to another. The center is not much affected, but for some reason, I see a difference of up to 2 db for the mains.

Also, this is not noticeable when I play music or vocal heavy content, maybe the "Check levels" in REW is a little picky and finds small variations in outputs from position to another for each channel. I should probably just set it in the main spot and not change the volume level for other positions.

I took some REW measurements of my sub in the two positions (middle and corner) without audyssey enabled. Seems like corner is the better position?

Attachments

• sub_no_audyssey_corner.jpg
    sub_no_audyssey_corner.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 178
  • sub_no_audyssey_middle.jpg
    sub_no_audyssey_middle.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 190

KKoen

Define how the volume is display in avr

Display --- dB (Min), in the range -79.5 dB to 18.0 dB.

measurements.

avr 0 volume and rew -30dbfs

Define how the volume is display in avr

Display --- dB (Min), in the range -79.5 dB to 18.0 dB.

measurements.

avr 0 volume and rew -30dbfs

I have a Denon X3300 AVR. The volume scales from a min of 0 to max 98 db. Although 62 db on my AVR gets me about 77 db for my LCR channels in REW measurements in the MLP. For the sub, however, when DEQ is off, I would have to go a lot lower at around 48 db on my AVR to hit the same 77 db output in REW.

KKoen

It's correct.
Do what I wrote above.
The lfe channel should show 10db higher when measuring with rew.
Count as I wrote all the speakers and sub

It's correct.
Do what I wrote above.
The lfe channel should show 10db higher when measuring with rew.
Count as I wrote all the speakers and sub

I tried these settings on my AVR and REW and the volume is consistent across all the channels. The sub was louder as expected. Will take more measurements over the week. Thanks for the tip!

Benedium

Forum Donor
Maybe for those who, like me, don't fully understand how to limit correction optimally, I still recommend turning off dyn EQ and dyn volume.
When switched On, it's too unpredictable and seems to require adjustments for different content.

With these turned off, I am very sure sound quality is better and more accurate. If you want more bass or to hear dialogue better just turn up the volume and everything remains balanced sounding.

By accurate sounding, I mean it sounds like the speakers the subwoofer and even the room has disappeared. Maybe those who know how to limit the EQ range achieve a result similar or slightly better than this but this way is easier I think.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe for those who, like me, don't fully understand how to limit correction optimally, I still recommend turning off dyn EQ and dyn volume.
When switched On, it's too unpredictable and seems to require adjustments for different content.

With these turned off, I am very sure sound quality is better and more accurate. If you want more bass or to hear dialogue better just turn up the volume and everything remains balanced sounding.

By accurate sounding, I mean it sounds like the speakers the subwoofer and even the room has disappeared. Maybe those who know how to limit the EQ range achieve a result similar or slightly better than this but this way is easier I think.
What AVR do you have? The app works with the X3300 and up:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq

Benedium

Forum Donor
What AVR do you have? The app works with the X3300 and up:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq

I have the x3600h. I tried limiting correction range many times from 300hz all the way up to thousands of hz and still felt it sounded funny.

It's also possible everyone hears differently. As I'm single and retired, I spend average of 12hours daily alone listening to stereo music as well as watching netflix and youtube from my smart tv. Compared to someone only listening for two or 3 hours daily, i might have different preferences and priorities.

Last edited:

Benedium

Forum Donor
Chromatischism, do you look at the after curves when you set correction limit to 300hz?

Maybe that's why I felt uncomfortable to use it. The lower frequencies end up much higher than the remaining majority of frequencies. Not sure if it matters...

Also am not sure if I need to change the subwoofer levels to match the changed curves of the speakers.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chromatischism, do you look at the after curves when you set correction limit to 300hz?

Maybe that's why I felt uncomfortable to use it. The lower frequencies end up much higher than the remaining majority of frequencies. Not sure if it matters...
That is what is supposed to happen. You want bass frequencies at least a few dB above the rest of the in-room measured response, declining by around 10 dB by 20 kHz. again that is the measured in room response by an omnidirectional microphone. It might resemble the Audyssey graph or it may not. Your results should not be a flat line.
Also am not sure if I need to change the subwoofer levels to match the changed curves of the speakers.
Subwoofer levels can be adjusted to taste. Let your ears be the judge. But there is no implied need to do so as part of the procedure.

Benedium

Forum Donor
That is what is supposed to happen. You want bass frequencies at least a few dB above the rest of the in-room measured response, declining by around 10 dB by 20 kHz. again that is the measured in room response by an omnidirectional microphone. It might resemble the Audyssey graph or it may not. Your results should not be a flat line.

Subwoofer levels can be adjusted to taste. Let your ears be the judge. But there is no implied need to do so as part of the procedure.

I see. Ok thank you so much

Top Bottom