• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

jjk

Forum Donor
Thanks.
Audible or functional?...Both?:cool:
Audible primary, but if it is a hassle that changes the calculation.
I do not have any experience with USB/AES. Are you able to elaborate at all?

If I go this route, I will!

Thanks again!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also curious to learn more about the issues with USB / AES mode. I've been using it for almost a year at this point with no issue, although I am only doing 2 channel input with 8 channel output. In AES mode the Okto definitely has issues with 8 channel input from certain sources.

Michael

jjk

Forum Donor
@jjk >> try this link >> https://support.myharmony.com/en-bd/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv
Argh! Remotes!
I must have a dozen in active duty... all over the house.
To make some sense out of them all, I figured I'd score some W.A.F. points and bought his/hers Harmony remotes.
Argh! Remotes!
Every time the Harmony remote needs new batteries, it forces the user to go thru the help menus all over again (requires at least 15+ sequenced key presses). I gave up using mine.
Every remote should clearly show it's remote Code# for programming and currently the whole "programmability" is an outright mess.
My LG OLED remote has both voice commands as well as a pointer that works w/WebOS and shaking the remote does commands some how!
I bought a spare remote for when the current one becomes NFG!

jjk

Forum Donor
@pseudoid, thanks very much!
I don't actually employ Apple TV, just interested in the remote to control the Okto with the Harmony.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Also curious to learn more about the issues with USB / AES mode. I've been using it for almost a year at this point with no issue, although I am only doing 2 channel input with 8 channel output.
The issue is with the Okto which requires that, in USB/AES, the output sample-rate match the input sample rate and that can be difficult to manage if there is DSP in between.
In AES mode the Okto definitely has issues with 8 channel input from certain sources.
I've not had problems with that or with USB mode.

Reactions: jjk

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue is with the Okto which requires that, in USB/AES, the output sample-rate match the input sample rate and that can be difficult to manage if there is DSP in between.

I've not had problems with that or with USB mode.

That makes sense, I have an ASRC upstream that converts everything to 96 kHz and then run the Okto and DSP at 96 kHz which explains why I haven't seen an issue.

For reference the AES input issue was with a miniDSP nanoDIGI which was previously recommended by Okto. It works OK with up to 6 output channels but if you try 8 you get terrible crackling. In the Okto owner's thread there were folks that had previously used the nanoDIGI without issue but after a firmware update something changed and it no longer works. I've used other 8 channel AES sources without issue.

Michael

jjk

Forum Donor
That makes sense, I have an ASRC upstream that converts everything to 96 kHz and then run the Okto and DSP at 96 kHz which explains why I haven't seen an issue.

For reference the AES input issue was with a miniDSP nanoDIGI which was previously recommended by Okto. It works OK with up to 6 output channels but if you try 8 you get terrible crackling. In the Okto owner's thread there were folks that had previously used the nanoDIGI without issue but after a firmware update something changed and it no longer works. I've used other 8 channel AES sources without issue.

Michael
I recall that there is a note in either the Okto or the VP manual that refers to matching the rates. I think it is in the Okto manual.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@jjk

Every time the Harmony remote needs new batteries, it forces the user to go thru the help menus all over again (requires at least 15+ sequenced key presses). I gave up using mine.
I have four harmony remotes. Two with a hub and two without. I never had a problem changing batteries and losing the codes.

I suppose there's a time limit.....perhaps you took too long to swap out the dead batteries?

But yes....you can use Harmony with Apple TV.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is touching on a subject that I am not a fan of.
I have issues with remote controls and not about to jump in that pool called "home automation" platforms.
I like my mechanical wall switches for lighting our home.
I also really don't care much about the old reliable thermostat that has NEVER needed a software patch or a re-programming.
And I don't mind the dead-bolt at the front door and would rather not have it turn into a smart version (while still being dead).
[enuff preamble, already!]
But some others may have gone whole-hog into that 'home automation' gig; down to talking refrigerators and smart toothbrushes/toilets.
The big change in home automation has the approval of the big manufacturers (including apple/alphabet/amazon/samsung).
It is a new 'language' which supposed to be a universal software language for smart devices.

Here is your carrot: Matter

Since there is some interest in the AudioPraise HDMI Audio Extractor (I even bought one after discovering it on this site), I thought I'd just add a few comments on my own experience. As I said elsewhere, all my audio/video feeds into my AVR via HDMI (cable, DVD, PlayStation, Roon Nuclues+), and rather than use my AVR's DAC, I run the output through HDMI into the AudioPraise HDMI Audio Extractor (which has digital audio out plus HDMI video out to my tv), then to my DAC, then to my amps, and then to my speakers.

Two minor issues I encountered are:

1) I had no way of controlling volume, so I also had to buy a volume controller (I bought a MiniDSP SHD Studio for digital volume control)
2) Twice in about a month, it stopped processing HDMI, and I had to power it down and back up again to get it to work (it took a while at first to troubleshoot this issue, but now that I know the fix it's easy to resolve)

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the audio quality I'm getting with my new setup. I just thought I'd share the above in case anyone was interested.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
rather than use my AVR's DAC, I run the output through HDMI into the AudioPraise HDMI Audio Extractor
If I am understanding this correctly; may I ask what is reason for bypassing the AVR's DAC, if you are adding at least a volume control without the AVR?

My logic is that the sound ultimately goes through a dbx DriveRack VENU360, which converts the sound back to digital, processes the sound, and then converts it back to analog again. I didn't want three conversions (digital to analog in the AVR, then analog to digital in the VENU360 and back to analog again). Now there is only one conversion (digital to analog in the VENU360).

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My logic is that the sound ultimately goes through a dbx DriveRack VENU360, which converts the sound back to digital, processes the sound, and then converts it back to analog again. I didn't want three conversions (digital to analog in the AVR, then analog to digital in the VENU360 and back to analog again). Now there is only one conversion (digital to analog in the VENU360).

Don't want to be too rude but your setup is a bit baffling. Primary advantage of the VanityPro is ability to split multichannel audio over HDMI to 4 AES outputs but you are only using stereo output? A sub-$100 HDMI extractor would do what you need.

Michael

Primary advantage of the VanityPro is ability to split multichannel audio over HDMI to 4 AES outputs but you are only using stereo output? A sub-$100 HDMI extractor would do what you need.
I bought the stereo version of the VanityPRO, which only has a single 2 channel AES output. I'm guessing (but don't know for certain), that the two-channel version might have some advantages over cheaper versions? Maybe I missed the whole point of the two-channel version?

Edit: I run my Roon Nucleus+ music through my AVR which then goes through this, and it has 24-bit 96kHz music; plus, I need an AES connection to feed into my dbx DriveRack VENU360. I don't know if that matters?

Last edited:

Abelard

I bought the stereo version of the VanityPRO, which only has a single 2 channel AES output. I'm guessing (but don't know for certain), that the two-channel version might have some advantages over cheaper versions? Maybe I missed the whole point of the two-channel version?

Edit: I run my Roon Nucleus+ music through my AVR which then goes through this, and it has 24-bit 96kHz music; plus, I need an AES connection to feed into my dbx DriveRack VENU360. I don't know if that matters?
I used a cheap hdmi audio extractor for about a year. Recently went to a meridian hd621 for the audio extraction function. I did not get a lot of time in with it before making other changes so I don’t have great conviction. I believe there is a sound quality benefit from the extractors that de-jitter, which I believe the VanityPro does.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I find it hard to justify the stereo version unless you need an output connection that is not provided on one of the multichannel versions. Even then, you can easily convert any output option on a multichannel VanityPro to your desired output connection. IMHO*, the stereo version is not as good a value as the multichannel version.

*Note that I am a proponent of multichannel and those doggedly committed to stereo may think otherwise.:cool:

You may be right. The AudioPraise website says this:

This heavily engineered audiophile HDMI audio extractor features custom DSD to PCM conversion algorithms and a state-of-the-art jitter reduction system. The result is a reference quality digital audio signal suitable for the most demanding applications...

HDMI audio is notoriously known to be sensitive to various forms of electro-magnetic interference, cabling quality, ground loops and in the hi-fi world generally considered as inferior when compared to dedicated digital audio transport methods such as SPDIF, AES/EBU or proprietary links based on the I2S bus.

There is usually nothing wrong with the audio data itself, provided the receiver can take advantage of all the digital formats and sampling rates available on the source side. It is mainly the way the audio data is packed and interleaved with the video data in a high frequency digital signal and eventually recovered on the HDMI receiver (sink) side. There are many cheap HDMI audio extractors in the market, and some of them being able to output digital audio via S/PDIF up to 192kHz sampling rate. But they still don’t come even close to a good digital transport in terms of audio quality.

How is the VanityPRO different from all the other HDMI audio extractors? It basically addresses all the imperfections associated with the HDMI audio, one by one...

I don't know enough electronics to determine if these are valid points or not.

Abelard

You may be right. The AudioPraise website says this:

This heavily engineered audiophile HDMI audio extractor features custom DSD to PCM conversion algorithms and a state-of-the-art jitter reduction system. The result is a reference quality digital audio signal suitable for the most demanding applications...

HDMI audio is notoriously known to be sensitive to various forms of electro-magnetic interference, cabling quality, ground loops and in the hi-fi world generally considered as inferior when compared to dedicated digital audio transport methods such as SPDIF, AES/EBU or proprietary links based on the I2S bus.

There is usually nothing wrong with the audio data itself, provided the receiver can take advantage of all the digital formats and sampling rates available on the source side. It is mainly the way the audio data is packed and interleaved with the video data in a high frequency digital signal and eventually recovered on the HDMI receiver (sink) side. There are many cheap HDMI audio extractors in the market, and some of them being able to output digital audio via S/PDIF up to 192kHz sampling rate. But they still don’t come even close to a good digital transport in terms of audio quality.

How is the VanityPRO different from all the other HDMI audio extractors? It basically addresses all the imperfections associated with the HDMI audio, one by one...

I don't know enough electronics to determine if these are valid points or not.
Falcon91, you are on similar as I am. I assume your venu360 is for active speakers or jus EQ? Either way, plan to get rid of it so that you can get onto a modestly priced 32 bit DAC, preferably something that hosts DiracLive. I shed a MiniDSP 10x10 to do this. You won’t regret it.

jjk

Forum Donor
Is it possible to preserve HDR/Dolby Vision by running the AppleTV/Roku hdmi through an Oppo first?
The Oppo allows an hdmi signal to be split in to audio and video hdmi out.
Then you would run the video out directly to a display and the audio out would go to the Vanity Pro.
Would this be a solution?
Thanks.

PavelV

Audio Company
Is it possible to preserve HDR/Dolby Vision by running the AppleTV/Roku hdmi through an Oppo first?
The Oppo allows an hdmi signal to be split in to audio and video hdmi out.
Then you would run the video out directly to a display and the audio out would go to the Vanity Pro.
Would this be a solution?
Thanks.
Hi jjk, this scenario should work just as you described. If you have verified that the OPPO is able to split the audio and video between its two HDMI outputs from one HDMI input, then it would be a perfect solution.

Top Bottom