• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arylic BP50 Preamp with HDMI ARC Review

Rate this preamp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 114 62.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 52 28.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 4.4%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of Arylic BP50 preamp with internal DAC, phono stage, HDMI ARC and Bluetooth. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs US $99.
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth Toslink phono stage input coax review.jpg

Front panel doesn't hint at the immense amount of functionality BP50 provides. You get that from the back side:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth Toslink phono stage input coax HDMI ARC back panel review.jpg

This thing has every in and out you can imagine! It even comes with a remote, making it one of the most ideal preamplifiers there is as far as connectivity in modern era. How well does it work though? Let's measure:

Arylic BP50 Preamplifier Measurements
Let's start with the DAC measurements:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth Toslink Measurement.png

I kind of expected this level of performance and that is what we get. I didn't put it in my ranking table but would be in the "fair" category. Distortion is a problem as is noise to some extent:

Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth USB DAC DNR Measurement.png

Since there is digital out, let's see if that gives us transparency allowing an external DAC to do the job:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth Toslink to Coax Measurement.png

Ouch! That is serious amount of error! Good news is that volume control is in the path and maybe that is where the problem is. Strangely, in a good way, USB to Coax works better:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth USB DAC to Coax Measurement.png

Jitter is expectedly poor:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth USB DAC Jitter Measurement.png
]
I don't have an HDMI ARC source but I expect it to be worse yet.

Frequency response of the analog output is fine but subwoofer out is incorrect:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth USB DAC Frequency Response Measurement.png

Instead of a low pass filter, you have this strange sloping down two-step response.

Switching to analog input we get:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth line in to line out.png

Not bad although be careful in using a DAC to drive it as it clips above 1.6 volt and severely so by the time you get to 2 volts input.

Once again I switched to digital out to see if that is better by eliminating the DAC:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth line in to Coax out.png

Strangely, it is a hair worse!

Next I tested Phono input:
Arylic BP50 Preamplifier DAC bluetooth phono in Frequency response.png

Not an even response.

Conclusions
My impression of Arylic as a brand is focus on price/performance and functionality first with performance possibly not a factor at all. That is what we have here. What a great deal it would be if some attention was put toward getting that aspect right.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Arylic BP50 from performance point of view. On functionality and value, it is off the charts.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Koeitje

Major Contributor
How does the HDMI port perform? Because that seems to be the unique selling point here.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How does the HDMI port perform? Because that seems to be the unique selling point here.
It is only HDMI ARC which I can't generate as I mentioned in the review.

Here are the Manufacturer Specifications:

Specification​

Bluetooth Standard. - 5.2, 15m
Bluetooth Transmit. - 2x Bluetooth TX, able to connect up to 2 Bluetoothspeaker or earbuds.
Bluetooth Receiver. - 2x Bluetooth RX, able to connect up to 2 Bluetoothtransmitter device
Bluetooth Codec. - TX: aptX HD, aptX, aptX AD, aptX LL, AAC, SBC RX: aptX HD, aptX, aptX AD, AAC, SBC
Newest Firmware Version. - 0051-ba37596b
Frequency Response. - 20Hz to 20Khz
THD + N/SNR. - 0.05%/>95db
Line in. - Analog RCA, Max 2V RMS input
Phono in - Analog RCA, support MM/MC
Optical in. - Up to 192kHz/24bit PCM only
HDMI ARC. - PCM only, CEC function supported
USB Host. - USB disk drive playback, support resume playback
Storage format: Fat16, Fat32, exFAT, up to 128GB
Support codec: mp3, mp4, wma, mov, m4a, aac, flac(96kHz/24bit), ape
USB Type-C. - USB DAC for PC connection, sample rate: 48kHz
Subwoofer out. - Max 3V RMS output, Cutting frequency: 250Hz
Line Out. - Max 2Vrms output
Optical out. - 48kHz/16bit output
Coaxial out. - 48kHz/16bit output
Power Input. - 12V/1A
Size. - 185 x 155 x 50mm
Weight. - 750g

Last edited by a moderator:

Haskil

Forum Donor
It is only HDMI ARC which I can't generate as I mentioned in the review.
Thank you Amir and happy new year to the tester and the gardener!

It does just about everything you would need to put it under a TV with two small powered speakers and a small subwoofer!
The performance is mediocre compared to what it could be with just a little more care in design, but I think it would have delighted us in the late 1970s for much, much more money...
With a little effort and a double price, let's be spendthrift!, it could have 16 bits of resolution on its analog output, clean digital outputs, a 5-band parametric equalizer (see below: he actually has) an adjustable subwoofer filter (he actualy has also) and an UpNP function...

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Thank you Amir and happy new year to the tester and the gardener!

It does just about everything you would need to put it under a TV with two small powered speakers and a small subwoofer!
The performance is mediocre compared to what it could be with just a little more care in design, but I think it would have delighted us in the late 1970s for much, much more money...
With a little effort and a double price, let's be spendthrift!, it could have 16 bits of resolution on its analog output, clean digital outputs, a 5-band parametric equalizer, an adjustable subwoofer filter and an UpNP function...

And be controlled by an app which does dsp on your phone and tells the preamp what settings to apply.

Haskil

Forum Donor

In fact, it has an adjustable parametric EQ!! I just checked...

It's still surprising that those who established the functionalities of this device - a real Swiss army knife - did not go all the way in terms of engineering: the active components are good, some others mediocre (it seems from discussions on ASR that the capacitors are mediocre and the application has bugs.

It is imperative to feed it in 16/48 if you are going to use it to listen to music from a computer (Roon, Audirvana and co do this very well) and not under a television to avoid bad conversion of sampling done as input because the DSP is under 48 Khz...

In fact Arylic has this product... but for the quality...

And this application for use

And on ASR

Last edited:

AM88

This is exactly the product I need. Shame the performance is so poor. If performance across the board was at least competent to above average, I’m sure double of even triple the price would be palatable to most needing something like this.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seems worse than a WiiM Mini and certainly worse than the WiiM Pro plus, though obviously HDMI ARC and Sub output are great features.

Given WiiM have HDMI ARC and Sub-out on their new WiiM Amp - I imagine their next iteration of the WiiM Pro Plus might add those 2 features to that device.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'd love to see a modern proper version of an old school preamp with analogue/digital inputs, a decent headphone output and RCA and balanced outs with properly ample headroom and the possibility of eq perhaps in an add-on module for those that need it (in other words, an update on the Quad 44 modular concept?)

Would it sell enough? I suspect for posters here, such a product would be unnecessary but for me it'd be a godsend frankly with my motley sources. To do it properly outside of cheap far eastern labour may make it more expensive than an RME or Benchmark, which comes close I believe.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This product really makes me angry, it has a myriad of useful functions, things that I have wanted for years all integrated into a preamplifier, but implemented very badly to keep costs down. I don't care about such a poor product at 99 but I would gladly pay 299/399 for the same product with decent measurements and well implemented high/low pass filters

pogo

Major Contributor
Maybe a used Node (X) DAC preamplifier would be something for you.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This thing has a metric ton of functionality and at $99 bucks it is a good deal. Yeah performance could be better but it is incredibly versatile. The value here is pretty remarkable. Thank for another great review Amir. Weekends are just another Work Day for you. :oops:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
This thing has a metric ton of functionality and at $99 bucks it is a good deal. Yeah performance could be better but it is incredibly versatile. The value here is pretty remarkable. Thank for another great review Amir. Weekends are just another Work Day for you. :oops:

Given the price, this was never going measure well, I suppose.

I mean a decent DAC is minimum £100/$100, and you’ve got all the extra bells and whistles to pay for.

frabor

Mixed feeling. I have a minidsp ( original) for my subs and the performanc is similar, but this one has a lots of IO and functionality.

My point: objectively sucks, but for a second room, computer desktop, or bedroom setup with amplified speaker this could de acceptable but not optimal. It is not worse than the old reciever I use in the garage.

But, with -100dB sinad or better, it would have been awesome.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this was always going to be the case

the reason is that it was an impossible ask... this unit was as low as $75 shipped... now this is single board device but with its extruded alloy case and the remote and psu and antennas and all... even for china i dont know how they do it

PLUS they need to get an app up and it has compatilibty with ACP workbench but that's another $20... the reason this unit even exists is because its their B50 amp with the amp stage cut out. And so the performance here permeates their entire '50' series lineup.

Their forum is a littany of complaints.

I think the focus is on what are USP, unique selling points and that's the BT transmit and receive.... and they state their HDMI arc pass thru to the BT headphones means it offers a movie experience in the middle of the night if headphones is all you can do.

Its pretty clear this is fixed 16/48 device... everything goes their the DSP even if its off and so if you're ok with this, then make your decision.

Because its a fully digital device then any dac you hang off it will be rendered useless.

OldTimer

so many input and output jack at behind for that price. Not terrible!

Kevinfc

Looked on their web site, there’s lots of interesting hardware and software. They need to up their game on the hardware a bit. With upgraded internals, this product would be a good buy at twice the price. A bit more and they could be real players. Too bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom