• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but remember that this product already does something unobtainable. I am sure the developers know all of this, just had to choose to make it or not at all :) That is why most companies skip the HDMI ports on their otherwise very advanced DACs (look at All Chinese DAC manufacturers, miniDSP and many others).

But for the "next step-up" - those features may be available in the source or receiver. For example Genelec GLM could do many of those things. as can miniDSP DRC-88D.

I do wonder what are the recommended integrations for this device?
  • It would make for a nice PC sound card, but much cheaper miniDSP UDIO-8 is probably perfectly good as well and does not suffer from the limited HDMI standard support.
  • To be used with TV/Projector it needs to support eARC to be able to hear TV audio and it has only one HDMI input, so you would need to use HDMI switching in the TV (which is actually a good thing if you do not have >4 HDMI devices). Maybe eARC can be added by firmware update?
  • You could connect external HDMI switcher (AVR, soundbar?) but again is this how it is intended?
  • Help me out here? :)
HDfury Vrroom. It will let you integrate this in many ways. $600 though.

It splits out audio into both a eARC out and a plain hdmi audio out. It also supports eARC in so all the sources connected to your TV will send audio to it.

I don’t need multichannel or have 7 hdmi 2.1 sources so i’m just using a Node which handles HDMI eARC.

jjk

Forum Donor

jjk

Forum Donor
Reference the above...it seems as if the initial description of the product may not be accurate. The reviews and questions/answers seem to indicate that this product is not a solution.

jjk

Forum Donor
Hi there, I am one of the VanityPRO designers and I would be happy to answer your questions and discuss the product here. To start with, I have put together a quick FAQ here.

We are working on a new firmware which will enable ARC with full audio recoding and de-jittering and some other system improvements. ETA is about two to three weeks. If there are any VanityPRO owners here happy to try the new firmware before official release, please PM me.
Hello Pavel,
Are there any updates on the new firmware?

Ozymandias

Hello Pavel,
Are there any updates on the new firmware
+1 @PavelV The manual on the AudioPraise website only mentions Windows PC support for firmware upgrades. Will there be support for macOS users? I'm considering purchasing the VanityPRO but Windows-only support would be a deal breaker for me.

PavelV

Audio Company
Hello Pavel,
Are there any updates on the new firmware?
Hi guys,
We are now testing the release candidate, so hopefully it won't take more than a few days. I will post an update here once the firmware is ready. If there are any volunteers to try the ARC functionality and improved clock control loop please PM me.
Thank you.
Regards,
Pavel

PavelV

Audio Company
+1 @PavelV The manual on the AudioPraise website only mentions Windows PC support for firmware upgrades. Will there be support for macOS users? I'm considering purchasing the VanityPRO but Windows-only support would be a deal breaker for me.
Hi, good question. Let me see if the firmware update app can be ported over to macOS and I will come back to you.
Regards,
Pavel

Bulldogger

Here is my subjective opinion of the Audiopraise VanityPro for what it's worth. I use a HTPC with Jriver and Roon. with Dirac live, into three Theta Gen VIII dacs. So far, I have used the Minidsp UDIO-8 and Lynx Aes16e to get digital out of the PC for multi-channel. I also have a Tascam UH7000 microphone preamp with a custom linear supply that also serves as a USB to AES/EBU converter. Lastly, I have a Berkeley Alpha USB.

The Udio-8, Lynx Aes16e, and Tascam largely sound the same. Maybe the Tascam is a little better but I'm not sure. The Berkeley Alpha is clearly superior to all of these. It's not a "reach." It's easy to hear. The audio gets much cleaner and clearer with the Berkeley USB. However, this has caused me anguish because I want a multi-channel interface that does as well as the Berkeley.

Ok, back to the Audiopraise VanityPro. I hooked it up to my Panasonic Blu-ray player to take a listen. I expected this to be the better case scenario than audio out of my PC. However, the sound was about the same as the Lynx AES16e and Udio-8. I fiddled with Jriver and Roon. But as I was using my Theta Casaablana 3HD as it connects to my display, there seem to be a problem with the proper sampling rate. It was always at 48Hz which the older Casablanca which is the rate at which the older processor runs. I disconnected the Casablanca and ran HDMI out of HTPC with Jriver into the VanityPro and the HDMI out into my Samsung TV. Then everything "clicked" into place. 16/44Hz stuff and 24/96Hz stuff all played at proper rate. After this for whatever reasons, the sound greatly improved. I actually wondered if it was as good as the Berkeley Alpha USB! I was/am very happy with the sound. Some level matched switching still had me favoring the Berkeley. If I had to give a grade. I'd give the Minidsp UDIO-8, Lynx AES16e, and Tascam UH7000 a C for audio. I would give the VanityPRO when able to play back at the sampling rate as the source material an A and the Berkeley USB an A+. Someone, finally for me, made HDMI capable of true high fidelity.

I have for about 20 years purchased various prepros and experimented with different methods to try and get multi-channel to have as much fidelity as what I get with two channel audio gear. I've thrown a lot of money at it with stand-alone dacs, monoblocks for front three channels, you name it. I just never have been able to reach satisfaction. But Audiopraise, with the caveat that the input sampling rate matches the source material actual rate, does it.

I would like to make a note on the sample rate observation. Typically, I don't notice that much difference when audio is sampled to other rates than what is on the disc. This case was very unique. I don't know what role my older processor had. My guess is that Jriver read the Casablanca as a 48hz device and sent audio at that rate to the VanityPro. This is my subjective opinions for what they are worth. I realize this is the wrong forum to give any kind of subjective opinions but for those who walk the line like myself between the subjective and objective, I hope my opinion helps. Audiopraise produced a unique device that delivers on it's promise.

jjk

Forum Donor
Good review, thanks.
So you had the VP with the MCH RCA connectors; is that correct?
Or do you have Casa version AES inputs?
Thanks

Last edited:

guolive

Hello everybody

I would like to share my experience after 5 months of using the Vpro aes multichannel version

why did I buy it? for me it was a must buy

I have been following discussions on how to best reproduce audio from the pc since the early 2000s and have built my home entertainment system around the pc (mac also for a period)

So I am a long-time “htpc enthusiast” who have now been faced with the choice of whether to upgrade my pc to get the new video encodings or switch to a consumer system

But the choice to embrace the consumer world would have meant abandoning much of my current audio system based on pro gears and my pc based room correction eq. On the other hand, updating the pc hardware would no longer have guaranteed me the use of the new video formats

So I started the search for a bridge between the consumer world and the pro world: I read many forums where the only solution proposed was that of professional systems with an unattainable price

In the end right on this forum, if I remember, I discovered an old thread that talked about Audiopraise

I visited the site and found that the Vanity Pro was almost ready to be marketed and after a short contact with Pavel (hi Pavel ...) I realized that it was just what I was looking for

To date I connect to it both a sony x800m2, as blu ray and sacd (mch) player, and an apple tv for multichannel streaming

Below is the audio path:

connections:hdmi switches8 ch aes/ebuadatusbusbadatxlr
Sony x800
Apple tv
….
> VPRO> RME ADI 8> RME DIGIFACE> PC (Reaper room eq…)> RME DIGIFACE> RME ADI 8> 8 speakers

Hope it’s all clear and thanks for hosting me in this forum

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Lets say surround audiophile audio, like apple music or tidal. its becoming more popular and atmos music is getting more releases. And you would have to play it via your SACD player or stream box into your AVR (if you have one). But most AVR's or even pre/pro's don't have the BEST dac implementation (see - well, this site).

But top tier dacs can be had for not much money. and you can use something like the 8 channel digital dirac minidsp box to step it up even more

So, I could envision someone really into surround music as: tidal surround audio > apple tv > vanity pro > hi end dacs > .... this is where it kinda falls apart because you need multi channel volume control somehow in a 8 channel pre-amp (parasound has one I believe), to a bunch of amps? I dunno, its a tricky niche product, but something like that
If this is for that, why not using a Mac or PC with a multi-channel DAC connected by USB.

jjk

Forum Donor
Kal,
I am going to buy the Vanity Pro.
If you had your choice with no constraints, would you employ JRiver via the AES/USB mode for DSP or would you employ a minidsp DDRC-88D?
I have an Okto8 for the output.
I am proficient with JRiver and also REW, although I have not used the AES/USB mode to date.
If anyone else has thoughts about this question or a review of the 88D, happy to hear your experiences.
Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you had your choice with no constraints, would you employ JRiver via the AES/USB mode for DSP or would you employ a minidsp DDRC-88D?
Neither. I would (and did) employ Jriver via the AES mode for DSP and feed the output to my other multichannel DAC. :)
Of your two options, I would pick the former.

Ozymandias

Neither. I would (and did) employ Jriver via the AES mode for DSP and feed the output to my other multichannel DAC. :)
Of your two options, I would pick the former.
@Kal Rubinson You can’t leave us hanging like that ! :) What would your personal choice be for DSP with the Okto DAC8?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson You can’t leave us hanging like that ! :) What would your personal choice be for DSP with the Okto DAC8?
I will be more explicit: I would (and did) employ Jriver (via the VP and the Okto DAC8's AES mode) for DSP and feed Jriver's output to my other multichannel DAC. :)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be more explicit: I would (and did) employ Jriver (via the VP and the Okto DAC8's AES mode) for DSP and feed Jriver's output to my other multichannel DAC. :)
Interesting, so basically using the Okto as a 8 channel AES to USB converter and then routing from the USB host (presumably a PC running Jriver?) to another 8 channel USB DAC (maybe an Exasound?). Or did I misunderstand and have this completely wrong?

Michael

jjk

Forum Donor
I am interested in the VP in a home theater context. I will employ the VP to (partially) replace the AVR, essentially. Removing the AVR or Pre/Pro from the chain allows the use of a much better DAC (Okto 8) and much better amps (March Audio). The Okto can also function as a Pre/Pro: AES/USB (Pink Faun streamer/JRiver) mode for HT and USB for MCH audio, and, volume control.
I could also incorporate an hdmi switch prior to the VP and organize the system that way. I might experiment a little. Part of the objective is to make it more user friendly for other certain persons in the house!
Kal, I don't understand why you employ a second DAC in your system?

Top Bottom