• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

Abelard

As an owner of the Meridian HD621, I can also assure you, that it has 8ch AES out over the RJ45 - 8p8c.
This is a common standard in digital cinema. I use it with a Dolby Cinema Processor (CP650) that has 8ch digital input.
The restrains were already mentioned: Audio in HDMI must be LPCM, Output can not be higher than 96khz.

As for the HDMI standard - I don’t think it matters, just use an HDMI2HDMI Audio extractor like the ones from finetech.

Meridian claims the MHR (RJ45) digital audio out is encrypted. Is that just words?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As an owner of the Meridian HD621, I can also assure you, that it has 8ch AES out over the RJ45 - 8p8c.
Isn't this Meridian unit an HDMIv1.4b?
I am to the point where I will never again try to use the same AVR (or AVPre/Pro); as HDMI is always seems to be antiquating our costly hardwares.

AES67 (AoIP/over RJ45) currently tops out at no better than 16bit quality (in a 2-channel distribution).
[Edit/Add: Unless you mean AES/EBU (AES3?)]
The network is recommended to be no less than 1GbE Q.o.S. (for latency and other issues) for this 16-bit equivalent quality.
This control also affects the number of audio samples per packet:
Maximum Channels SettingSamples per Packet
Smaller packet sizes may enable lower device latency settings for relevant subscriptions.
For multi-channel use; it is possible to string together multiple audio channels feeding into the network but you will be hard pressed to get anything exceeding -96dB rez.

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
What is this device for? It doesn't decode any of the Dolby formats, so I suppose it's not for home theater. But then, the HDMI interface makes it seem like it's not aimed at the professional market either, who'd typically use dedicated audio interfaces, connected via USB/TB/Ethernet instead.
What is multichannel PCM operation via HDMI used for?
Apple tv or Kodi on shield are doing dolby decoding to LCPM 7.1

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I am to the point where I will never again try to use the same AVR (or AVPre/Pro); as HDMI is always seems to be antiquating our costly hardwares.

AES67 (AoIP/over RJ45) currently tops out at no better than 16bit quality (in a 2-channel distribution).
The network is recommended to be no less than 1GbE Q.o.S. (for latency and other issues) for this 16-bit equivalent quality.
Smaller packet sizes may enable lower device latency settings for relevant subscriptions.
For multi-channel use; it is possible to string together multiple audio channels feeding into the network but you will be hard pressed to get anything exceeding -96dB rez.
LCPM 7.1 is supported since HDMI 1.0

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LCPM 7.1 is supported since HDMI 1.0
8 channels of LCPM but over HDMI cable
that it has 8ch AES out over the RJ45
But the conversation is about AES over a LAN (maybe a dedicated/point-to-point RJ45 cabling w/o a network backbone)...?
In post #645 of the ASR review of the Okto DAC8 Pro it says "conversion of audio from HDMI to ...AES/EBU [triggers deprecation of the audio], does this apply to the Audiopraise VanityPro?
per above @DL325' statement and the possible encryption/decryption (for 8ch. of audio) current networks will have many challenges meeting a variety of performance requirements; such as latency issues and many loss of (audio) data packets... if done over a regular 'LAN'.
Please correct me if I am mistaken and making too many assumptions. ty.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My Marantz 8805 AVR has no digital outs that I am aware of other than HDMI.
Sure, it does. 2 coax, 2 optical.
Those are inputs......there are no digital outs
OK, OK. I read the question/statement about the 8805 too fast. But I was thinking that Falcon91Wolvrn03 wanted to take the output of the AudioPraise and feed it into the Marantz, although I do not see what help that might be.

BTW, how many audio channels are you considering? I've used the Okto DAC8 with the AP and it has a VC.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't think that question was for me, but I'm only using two channels.
Yes, it was. There is a stereo version of the DAC8 but there are other stereo DACs with volume controls.

There is a stereo version of the DAC8 but there are other stereo DACs with volume controls.
Any with AES out? The VENU360 requires AES in for digital (though I suppose it's possible to use an adapter to get the signal from another digital format to AES). Do you know a model number? I could only find the miniDSP SHD Studio for volume control (though fortunately the SHD Studio is talked about very highly here).

Last edited:

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I run my Venu360 from an OktoDAC8 (Ch1&2) AES outputs, but I've also fed the Venu from Coax Digital outputs (via an adaptor cable), in this case from an Oppo player. Worked fine.
(See also my reply to your questions in the Venu review thread.)

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
8 channels of LCPM but over HDMI cable

But the conversation is about AES over a LAN (maybe a dedicated/point-to-point RJ45 cabling w/o a network backbone)...?

per above @DL325' statement and the possible encryption/decryption (for 8ch. of audio) current networks will have many challenges meeting a variety of performance requirements; such as latency issues and many loss of (audio) data packets... if done over a regular 'LAN'.
Please correct me if I am mistaken and making too many assumptions. ty.
The conversation was about an HDMI extractor, and you said it was only HDMI 1.4, to which I replied, that's enough for LCPM 7.1, which is it's purpose.

Jan.P.Ho

[Edit/Add: Unless you mean AES/EBU (AES3?)]
Hi,

Sorry it’s taking me a while to answer, but yes of course. I meant AES/EBU (AES3).

Jan.P.Ho

Meridian claims the MHR (RJ45) digital audio out is encrypted. Is that just words?

It depends on the configuration of the device. To use the device without encryption, you cannot go higher than 96khz. And of course, have to configure the device to not send encrypted audio….

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
That's kind of how I'm using mine, but I'm routing everything into my AVR, then putting the HDMI out of my AVR into my VanityPRO. The problem with that approach is that it had no volume control, so I added a miniDSP SHD Studio after the VanityPRO.
My knowledge of multichannel is extremely limited.

In this setup all the decoding, bass management
etc is handled in the AVR and is passed out as processed to the HDMI output?

Sounds like a neat solution because you can swap the AVR out as formats change, with the only limitation being the max channels is 7.1?

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
My knowledge of multichannel is extremely limited.

In this setup all the decoding, bass management
etc is handled in the AVR and is passed out as processed to the HDMI output?

Sounds like a neat solution because you can swap the AVR out as formats change, with the only limitation being the max channels is 7.1?
Avr is not applying its decoding/EQ/bass management on the HDMI output, but on its internal sound path.
You need a device doing the decoding, generally at the source, so apple tv, Nvidia shield with Kodi,..

Andy Mack

This seems useful, but not for improving audio, just making the streams more flexible. One person on here said it made things SO much better. We are talking picoseconds here. Nobody in the history of humans could detect a deviation at that short of timeframe with ANY senses.

@amirm Can this, in any way, shape, or form, actually improve sound audibly?
Could it improve sound audibly? Technically it could. You could utilize class D amps that only require a digital input, such as SMSL VMV A2. Now you can eliminate the DAC's all together for a 5.1 music/video or 7.1 video setup. Analog only reappears with a simple low pass filter on the output of the class D amp.

jjk

Forum Donor
Yes, it was. There is a stereo version of the DAC8 but there are other stereo DACs with volume controls.
Kal,
Would there be any weakness in the chain if I replaced my Emotiva XMC with the Vanity Pro? I have a Okto DAC8 which I use for music and streaming now.
I currently run Directv>>Oppo>>Emo>>March amps.
With the VP it would be AES in to USB to i7 NUC/JRiver for decode and DSP, then USB out to Okto>>amps; correct?
Bonus question: Can my Harmony remote be programmed to substitute for the apple remote which goes with the Okto?
Thanks very much, best regards!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Would there be any weakness in the chain if I replaced my Emotiva XMC with the Vanity Pro?
Audible or functional?
With the VP it would be AES in to USB to i7 NUC/JRiver for decode and DSP, then USB out to Okto>>amps; correct?
Do you have any experience with using the USB/AES mode of the Okto? It is not as simple as Okto implies.
Bonus question: Can my Harmony remote be programmed to substitute for the apple remote which goes with the Okto?
Dunno. If you find out, let me know.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can my Harmony remote be programmed to substitute for the apple remote
@jjk >> try this link >> https://support.myharmony.com/en-bd/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv
Argh! Remotes!
I must have a dozen in active duty... all over the house.
To make some sense out of them all, I figured I'd score some W.A.F. points and bought his/hers Harmony remotes.
Argh! Remotes!
Every time the Harmony remote needs new batteries, it forces the user to go thru the help menus all over again (requires at least 15+ sequenced key presses). I gave up using mine.
Every remote should clearly show it's remote Code# for programming and currently the whole "programmability" is an outright mess.
My LG OLED remote has both voice commands as well as a pointer that works w/WebOS and shaking the remote does commands some how!
I bought a spare remote for when the current one becomes NFG!

Reactions: jjk

jjk

Forum Donor
Audible or functional?

Do you have any experience with using the USB/AES mode of the Okto? It is not as simple as Okto implies.

Dunno. If you find out, let me know.

Top Bottom