• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Interesting, so basically using the Okto as a 8 channel AES to USB converter and then routing from the USB host (presumably a PC running Jriver?) to another 8 channel USB DAC (maybe an Exasound?). Or did I misunderstand and have this completely wrong?

Michael
You are correct. By doing this, one is freed from the Okto's demand for insuring that the output from Jriver is the same sample rate and bit-depth as the input. It is a luxury but I had to try it.

Kal, I don't understand why you employ a second DAC in your system?
I didn't need to employ a second DAC but I had one and it was useful, as noted above.

jjk

Forum Donor
You are correct. By doing this, one is freed from the Okto's demand for insuring that the output from Jriver is the same sample rate and bit-depth as the input. It is a luxury but I had to try it.

I didn't need to employ a second DAC but I had one and it was useful, as noted above.
Right, understood about the second DAC.

Can you school me on the AES/USB mode?
From the Okto manual, "Because the UAC2 audio device is unable to change the USB host current sampling frequency, the dac8 PRO will display a warning message if the sampling frequency of the received AES/EBU signal does not match the one selected by the USB host. It is up to the user to make the sample rate of the AES/EBU transmitting device match the sample rate of the UAC2 driver of the USB host. "

And quoting you above, "By doing this, one is freed from the Okto's demand for insuring that the output from Jriver is the same sample rate and bit-depth as the input."
So does that mean that as long as JRiver does not re-sample, AES/USB mode will operate properly?
For instance: 24/48 out of say, an Apple 4k TV >hdmi>Vanity Pro>AES>Okto 8>USB>Pink Faun/JRiver---7.1 downmix to 5.1/EQ/BM/no resample>USB>Okto8>Amps>Speakers. Does that work?
Thanks for the tutorial!:)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So does that mean that as long as JRiver does not re-sample, AES/USB mode will operate properly?
In principle, yes. OTOH we are doing this to use DSP in Jriver.
For instance: 24/48 out of say, an Apple 4k TV >hdmi>Vanity Pro>AES>Okto 8>USB>Pink Faun/JRiver---7.1 downmix to 5.1/EQ/BM/no resample>USB>Okto8>Amps>Speakers. Does that work?
Not always consistently because things change on both ends of the equation. If you change discs/tracks at the input, the pipeline can be disrupted. Same with the processing in Jriver at the output. I try to keep both ends as fixed as possible.

Reactions: jjk

jjk

Forum Donor

Not always consistently because things change on both ends of the equation. If you change discs/tracks at the input, the pipeline can be disrupted. Same with the processing in Jriver at the output. I try to keep both ends as fixed as possible.
Understood and thanks.
It is my understanding that Apple TV 4k has a constant output of 48k.

jjk

Forum Donor
Has anyone employed the Vanity Pro in a Home Theater configuration? In other words, where the HDMI out was connected to a 4k TV? Were there any EDID issues or other disruptions?
Thanks.

Bulldogger

Has anyone employed the Vanity Pro in a Home Theater configuration? In other words, where the HDMI out was connected to a 4k TV? Were there any EDID issues or other disruptions?
Thanks.
No. I use a Samsung 4K TV.

Bulldogger

Thanks.
Jriver works extremely well with the Vanity Pro. Roon was difficult. Roon crashed. Usually, I have issues with Jriver crashing but the reverse was true here.

I am using a Teradak 5 volt power supply with a splitter so I can use a single supply, https://www.ebay.com/itm/321304717520 . Sonore provided me with 5.5mm to USB C adapters.

Attachments

• IMG_4136.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4137.jpg
    IMG_4137.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 66

jjk

Forum Donor
Jriver works extremely well with the Vanity Pro. Roon was difficult. Roon crashed. Usually, I have issues with Jriver crashing but the reverse was true here.

I am using a Teradak 5 volt power supply with a splitter so I can use a single supply, https://www.ebay.com/itm/321304717520 . Sonore provided me with 5.5mm to USB C adapters.
Thanks Bd.
Two followup questions if you have time.
So you employed the hdmi out of the VP to your Samsung, correct?
And what was the connection to JRiver through your Casa?
Thanks for your insight.

Bulldogger

Thanks Bd.
Two followup questions if you have time.
So you employed the hdmi out of the VP to your Samsung, correct?
And what was the connection to JRiver through your Casa?
Thanks for your insight.
HTPC connected to Vanity Pro, HDMI out of Vanity pro to Samsung. Casa out of loop.

jjk

Forum Donor

Kal, in a different post (can't locate it now) you mentioned that might employ a MiniDSP nanoAVR HD in line with the Vanity Pro. Did you ever experiment with that configuration? If so, how were the results?
I have a chance to acquire one, would you recommend that operation? Thanks.

jjk

Forum Donor
I have been unable to obtain audio with AES/USB mode. I am trying to run the signal through Win 11 and JRiver for DSP. Okto8 DAC Pro is the DAC.
Any of you Gurus have the solution for me?
It seems as if JRiver does not see an input. I can't figure out how to fix that.
AES mode plays fine. Sample rate in VP is reported at 48k, sample rate as displayed on the Okto 8 is 48k.
I have only employed Pure USB on the Okto8 up til now. Received the VP on Monday.
Thanks very much.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, in a different post (can't locate it now) you mentioned that might employ a MiniDSP nanoAVR HD in line with the Vanity Pro. Did you ever experiment with that configuration? If so, how were the results?
I did not. That was pure speculation.
I have a chance to acquire one, would you recommend that operation?
????

jjk

Forum Donor
I did not. That was pure speculation.

????
Just wondering if (now in retrospect) you would recommend the nanoAVR HD as a digital DSP device prior to sending the signal to VP.
Also, I can't make AES/USB mode work. Any suggestions?
Pure USB is fine, AES mode is fine. I am using the Okto8.
My objective is to send the signal to Win 11/JRiver for DSP.
VP reports a sample rate of 48k and the Okto reads 48k as well.
Thanks Kal.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have been unable to obtain audio with AES/USB mode. I am trying to run the signal through Win 11 and JRiver for DSP. Okto8 DAC Pro is the DAC.
Any of you Gurus have the solution for me?
It seems as if JRiver does not see an input. I can't figure out how to fix that.
Have you looked at the DIYINHK driver panel and at the ASIO Line In configuration under Open Live? What do you see?

jjk

Forum Donor
Have you looked at the DIYINHK driver panel and at the ASIO Line In configuration under Open Live? What do you see?
I will look for that tomorrow and update here. Thanks for the suggestion.

jjk

Forum Donor
I do use the DIYINHK driver but I am not familiar with "ASIO Line In configuration under Open Live". Where do I find that? Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I do use the DIYINHK driver but I am not familiar with "ASIO Line In configuration under Open Live". Where do I find that? Thanks.
Click on "File" (upper left corner on my main Jriver page) and the 3rd item in the drop-down menu is "Open Live." Click on that to open it. Select ASIO Line In and click on Configure. ASIO Line In is how Jriver gets the input from the VP.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not a solution for extracting object based audio to send to a dsp processor/dac. HDMI 2.0 PCM is limited to 8 channels. Only bitstreams for ATMOS, DTS-X, Auro 3D can be carried via HDMI.

jjk

Forum Donor
Click on "File" (upper left corner on my main Jriver page) and the 3rd item in the drop-down menu is "Open Live." Click on that to open it. Select ASIO Line In and click on Configure. ASIO Line In is how Jriver gets the input from the VP.
Hello Kal,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
I did look at Open Live. I didn't even know that tab was there. I have never used it.
But you are The Man, because I set ASIO and I was able to make AES/USB work.
However, I do find it to be unstable and not reliable enough in an HT operation, especially with non-AV geeks also in the house.
Can we go back to your double Okto 8 strategery?
I also have two Okto8's. How have you found the AES stability to be, running to the second Okto? Do you regard the double Okto as a viable strategy or just a science experiment?
Also, I don't understand what the connections would be if you have PC/JRiver in the middle for DSP. Can you elaborate?
If you are employing a PC/JRiver in the middle then how does one make that same PC the JRiver front end for music selection?
And if given the choice, would you continue to operate with the double Okto configuration if you had the option of inserting a MiniDSP DDRC 88D in to the chain to provide DSP prior to a single Okto 8?
Lots of questions, I apologize, but thanks.
Just as a reminder, I am approaching this from an Home Theater viewpoint.
Thanks Kal, good weekend.

Top Bottom