• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophoolery humour thread

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so -- I saw this in a random (!) Stereo Review today, and, in light of the intervening decades (this is from 1982), it looked like something that would be right at home here @ ASR. :)

1623548194753.png

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Probably my favorite of his myriad cartoons on science (STEM, I guess, in modern parlance), FWIW. :)

Here's how I use it in the course I teach (again FWIW, and, yeah, realizing that no one asked ;) ):

View attachment 135296

That is exactly how high end audio scams are explained. But in todays' world it is with techno babble. You have to have technical nonsense to sell the product to the audiophiles.

Dackel

I have seen a lot of crazy turntables with heavyweight isolated platters being driven by isolated DC motors and the groves of the record being read by super expensive MC cartridges. As an engineer and because a turntable is basically a mechanical piece of equipment I can understand why one would go to these lengths to achieve the best sound possible out of a black plastic disk. But as the vast majority of recordings are made digitally at 44.1 and then transferred to vinyl (I also have the suspicion that many LP use the CD as their basis) It would seem to me that the aim of the analog audiophile would be to get as close to reproducing a CD sound as possible. Only that instead of spending lets say a 1000$ on a top CD player they spend 10000$ upwards on a glitzy turntable (A bit of a disclaimer I actually love vinyl but mainly for nostalgic reasons (I was bought up with the LP) and I have many a happy memory putting on records on my fathers Pioneer PL200)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have seen a lot of crazy turntables with heavyweight isolated platters being driven by isolated DC motors and the groves of the record being read by super expensive MC cartridges. As an engineer and because a turntable is basically a mechanical piece of equipment I can understand why one would go to these lengths to achieve the best sound possible out of a black plastic disk. But as the vast majority of recordings are made digitally at 44.1 and then transferred to vinyl (I also have the suspicion that many LP use the CD as their basis) It would seem to me that the aim of the analog audiophile would be to get as close to reproducing a CD sound as possible. Only that instead of spending lets say a 1000$ on a top CD player they spend 10000$ upwards on a glitzy turntable (A bit of a disclaimer I actually love vinyl but mainly for nostalgic reasons (I was bought up with the LP) and I have many a happy memory putting on records on my fathers Pioneer PL200)

Do not bring any common sense into this issue. Instead, I recommend alcohol and/or pills. They put you in right frame of mind to analyze snake oil claims. In fact I would imagine that many snake oil companies came up with product ideas from drunken, drug fueled parties. Just a thought. :)

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do not bring any common sense into this issue. Instead, I recommend alcohol and/or pills. They put you in right frame of mind to analyze snake oil claims. In fact I would imagine that many snake oil companies came up with product ideas from drunken, drug fueled parties. Just a thought. :)
Excellent point. I like vinyl. When inebriated, I love vinyl.

Dackel

You are right there is no common sense with Vinyl. I mean it can sound great and I really love playing proper records. You know pulling the record out of the sleeve, then carefully and sensuously admiring the black sheen of the disk. Afterwards carefully dusting it off, carefully placing it on the turntable with the palms of the hands and then lowering the needle... all that is needed then is a glass of brandy (or something) and lean back and enjoy....Its all a bit provocative .....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Before you start complaining, notice they add a case so you can still take the cable with you on vacation.
Is that thing freakin incredible or what?
I can't believe people actually fall for that con and buy that shit ?
You just can't fix stupid. :mad:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom