• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophoolery humour thread

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When you think that nowadays some steal on the railway, hundreds of meters of electric lines for the copper they are after,
while just a mere few meters of interconnect would make them super rich.

At least they are 'honest' about being thieves.

That's a step up from many of these lying assclowns to me...

Martini

Forum Donor
Thanks for the memories,

Ran into one of those unsufferable audiophile types back in the day--he started jabbering on about burn in or something. I replied that I use Mil-spec components because they don't require burn in. He looked confused, told him that mil-spec does not need burn in because launching missiles off planes would be wildly inaccurate and the pilot would be dead if he waited 100 hours for it to break in, warm up or whatever.
Yes, it is truly amazing to me that people never think about they are touting or believe. Do you really think that after a number of hours of use, the electrons spinning around the nucleus of the molecules contained within a conductor, connector or solder of the item, have now aligned themselves with each other and will remain in that status?

The other claim I love is the one regarding the benefit of single or long grain copper or silver, 'cause you know distortion is created as the signal jumps from grain to grain. But, then the same manufacture will tout the use of silver clad, high purity copper in another product, because silver is more conductive and the majority of current runs at surface level of the conductor it is better. But wait.., that silver is applied by vapor depositing billions of particles of silver. What happened to the long-grain superiority claim, now the signal is jumping billions+ times?

I mean, where do you go from there?

Think of it this way, there are around 8 Billion people on this rock and you can't elevate the world by yourself.

I will tend to point them in the right direction (compare against everything else on the planet and universe) if they continue, I smile, wave and avoid that person. Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. My momma always told me "If, one day you figure out you are the smartest one in your group of friends, you need new friends!"

As with all my hobbies (have between 4 to 8 of them) learned long ago that the more I know how it works, the better the results. Sure, there will always be people that just throw money at a hobby--because they are unsure and too lazy or inept to learn the hobby. Not only audio, this applies to most things be they cars, boats, photography, bicycling, motorcycles, power tools and pocket knives. They even have a forum for electric shavers, and yes, they argue about electric shavers. Believe it!

In the end, if a person's personal identity is a stereo system--that is pretty sad! If my greatest achievement was hooking up a few wires and cables and proclaiming I had golden ears...do the world a favor and shoot me. OK, first make sure I was still on my medication or something... Think about it, proclaiming you have been an audiophile for 30 years and a fuse, piece of wire or audio measurement derails your brain. Why would I ever aspire to be that--or worse, hang out with people that have set the bar that low? Yikes!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Think of it this way, there are around 8 Billion people on this rock and you can't elevate the world by yourself.

I will tend to point them in the right direction (compare against everything else on the planet and universe) if they continue, I smile, wave and avoid that person. Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. My momma always told me "If, one day you figure out you are the smartest one in your group of friends, you need new friends!"

As with all my hobbies (have between 4 to 8 of them) learned long ago that the more I know how it works, the better the results. Sure, there will always be people that just throw money at a hobby--because they are unsure and too lazy or inept to learn the hobby. Not only audio, this applies to most things be they cars, boats, photography, bicycling, motorcycles, power tools and pocket knives. They even have a forum for electric shavers, and yes, they argue about electric shavers. Believe it!

In the end, if a person's personal identity is a stereo system--that is pretty sad! If my greatest achievement was hooking up a few wires and cables and proclaiming I had golden ears...do the world a favor and shoot me. OK, first make sure I was still on my medication or something... Think about it, proclaiming you have been an audiophile for 30 years and a fuse, piece of wire or audio measurement derails your brain. Why would I ever aspire to be that--or worse, hang out with people that have set the bar that low? Yikes!

"Why ....... hang out with people that have set the bar that low"?

I ask myself that question re ASR lately with the increased audiophool traffic it is attracting, and piffle threads becoming more frequent and longer.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you need assistance with burning in your cables (because who really has the time to dedicate to that), there is always the FryBaby.

Specifications
  • 1Vrms output amplitude
  • 100 ohm output impedance
  • 10Hz to 1MHz signal bandwidth
  • 2Hz to 200Hz modulation sweep range
  • 4 outputs
  • 5 x 3 x 1 inches
  • 120V to 240V operation
  • Includes power supply, binding post adapters
  • Free shipping!

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
If you need assistance with burning in your cables (because who really has the time to dedicate to that, there is always the FryBaby.

Specifications
  • 1Vrms output amplitude
  • 4 outputs
  • 5 x 3 x 1 inches
  • 120V to 240V operation
  • Free shipping!
But, but, how long do you have to Burn in the burn in device? This comes in layers and layers of……

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
you can try one of the crystals from the ebay shop link i posted, it might do wonders...

0ldSchool

Forum Donor
Now if someone can explain to me what a "more precise" concentration of electrons means I'll be really impressed. Since precise means accurate, I wonder what a more accurate concentration of electrons in a power supply really looks like.
You would need an electron microscope to see this - but be sure to look at the image through welding glass, because like the sound, the image will be especially "bright."

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If you need assistance with burning in your cables (because who really has the time to dedicate to that), there is always the FryBaby.

Specifications
  • 1Vrms output amplitude
  • 4 outputs
  • 5 x 3 x 1 inches
  • 120V to 240V operation
  • Free shipping!

People that buy a Frybaby should be locked up. They are dangerous to a society trying to function. If left to themselves they are likely to cause people to go on shooting sprees. Lock them up now and save humanity!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You're being kind.
Technically, not ever, except by a happy coincidence. They're -- as you clearly know and as do most folks here, I would think -- completely different.
Time to trot out the old "bullseye" graphic. :)
Agreed but, as your illustration shows, we need both.

welsh

Silicon Nitride Upgrade Balls -- it's a good thing I don't have a juvenile sense of humor... :rolleyes:

Oh, on topic -- stuff with three feet isn't uncommon in hifi. Turntables, e.g. -- heck, I've even got one!

TT15S12 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
I don't use it, but I do own it. The third foot is centered at the back of the -- ahem -- plinth. The motor, visible in the back left, is free-standing (i.e., sits centered in a little cutout in the plinth).

And, then again, even quadripedal hifi equipment sometimes gets the three footed treatment. :)

View attachment 73564

Do youse guyses know about Mapleshade and Pierre Sprey? If not -- you'll love him/them! ;)
https://mapleshadestore.com/

View attachment 73565

Palpable bottom girls, they make the rockin' world go round...
Silicon Nitride Upgrade Balls -- it's a good thing I don't have a juvenile sense of humor... :rolleyes:

Oh, on topic -- stuff with three feet isn't uncommon in hifi. Turntables, e.g. -- heck, I've even got one!

I don't use it, but I do own it. The third foot is centered at the back of the -- ahem -- plinth. The motor, visible in the back left, is free-standing (i.e., sits centered in a little cutout in the plinth).

And, then again, even quadripedal hifi equipment sometimes gets the three footed treatment. :)

View attachment 73564

Do youse guyses know about Mapleshade and Pierre Sprey? If not -- you'll love him/them! ;)

View attachment 73565

View attachment 73564

View attachment 73565

Top Bottom