• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 123 40.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.3%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
Audiophonics remarks that This amplifier does not have a decoupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through. Make sure your source has no DC component present at the output. The DC protection of the module switches on at 12VDC which is very permissive. amplifier does not have a decoupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through. Make sure your source has no DC component present at the output. The DC protection of the module switches on at 12VDC which is very permissive.

What does this mean in other (simpler) words?
You only need DC protection ( a capacitor ) in the preamp output OR in the input of the poweramp. Most poweramps have DC protection , so its good that Audiophonics tell us about this . You will need a preamp or pre-dac with DC protection on the output ( almost all have this ) .

From a purist side of it, when its not nesessary to have two capacitors in the signal path ( both preamp and poweramp ) , this seems fine for me . :)

pma

Major Contributor
It would be prudent to acknowledge that your first correction of my post was wrong....

//
In case you want to go nit-picking and not bring much technical view, as usually, then I agree. My point was that the maximum output power of NC252MP module depends on actual mains voltage. You my be sure you get different max. power from US 120V rated than from EU 230V rated voltage. You would not (probably, should be measured) get the difference from 120V/60Hz US single phase vs. 240V/60Hz US twin phase outlets, provided that 240V outlet would have exactly twice the 120V outlet voltage.

This is all nit-picking. The NC output power DEPENDS on actual mains output voltage, so I do measure different maximum output power, from NC252MP, then Amir, based on different domestic mains voltage I have and based on the domestic mains voltage robustness. And the difference is not small.

Last, the lower 120V mains voltage needs higher current to make same amp power and so the voltage drop on US domestic mains wiring is higher than in EU 230V.

Finally, my domestic mains voltage is, at the moment, 240.6Vrms. This information should probably be a part of any power amplifier review, as it almost always affects the maximum amplifier power.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
my question is does any other packager of the 250 class Hypex offer a different design to this for a similar price?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Original question was: (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a-s250nc-amp-review.45306/page-8#post-1617442)

"I have a question. Here in the US voltages are 110. If one uses a 220V plug will the amp produce more power?"

So, no ;-D

//
Strangely icePower states (a little) different numbers despite the PFC.
Where is more evident is efficiency:

voltage.PNG voltage 2.PNG PE.PNG

Edit:
Where is vastly different is between 230 and 100V mains,240 watt less for the later for both channels driven at 4 Ohm.

But as to original question of course and adapter can change nothing.

Last edited:

TNT

Well, all your technical analysis is of course correct - the problem for the person with the question was on a completely other level... like... do I get twice the output power if I use the amp on 230V?

Sometimes one need to adapt once answers on forums to the level of knowledge of the person asking the question or the answer will just blow over the head...

//

Philipp

almost all have this
Do you think/ know if the SMSL-SU 1 DAC has one?
Can I measure it with a multimeter in a simple way?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well, all your technical analysis is of course correct - the problem for the person with the question was on a completely other level... like... do I get twice the output power if I use the amp on 230V?

Sometimes one need to adapt once answers on forums to the level of knowledge of the person asking the question or the answer will just blow over the head...

//

There's enough dumbing down of answers on ASR already.

The voltage doubling SMPS supplies in the unit are unregulated and will have a range of ultimate output powers on each of the two 'settings' dependent on nominal mains voltages at the time of measurement.

Unless the mains voltage is a) regulated to nominal or b) stated in the review at the time of measurement, the power output can vary significantly and should only be taken as a guide, not as an absolute number.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You only need DC protection ( a capacitor ) in the preamp output OR in the input of the poweramp. Most poweramps have DC protection , so its good that Audiophonics tell us about this . You will need a preamp or pre-dac with DC protection on the output ( almost all have this ) .

From a purist side of it, when its not nesessary to have two capacitors in the signal path ( both preamp and poweramp ) , this seems fine for me . :)

This is incorrect.

DC power amp protection is not 'a capacitor' in the signal path and neither do 'almost all' preamps and DACs have a capacitor on the output for 'DC protection'.

You are confused about coupling capacitors, the potential for DC to be amplified and actual DC protection circuitry.

TNT

There's enough dumbing down of answers on ASR already.

The voltage doubling SMPS supplies in the unit are unregulated and will have a range of ultimate output powers on each of the two 'settings' dependent on nominal mains voltages at the time of measurement.

Unless the mains voltage is a) regulated to nominal or b) stated in the review at the time of measurement, the power output can vary significantly and should only be taken as a guide, not as an absolute number.
Correct - but still not the question asked.

//

Xenio

I have had one of these since January 2021 hooked up to my Denon AVR-X3600 to drive the front L+R speakers (Elac DBR62), in bypass mode, allowing the Denon to focus on the centre, subwoofer, and rear surrounds. Absolutely great compact unit, no faults, and sounds really nice. As Amir mentioned it does get warm, but not concerning, and I initially had it in an enclosed space (home TV stand) before realising that probably wasn't the best for the life expectancy of the unit.
Do you hear any audible difference ? I have a Denon x3700h with 4x aria 906 (8 ohms 89.5db) and one aria cc900. I'm thinking of doing something similar to what you did

BigSweeny

Do you hear any audible difference ? I have a Denon x3700h with 4x aria 906 (8 ohms 89.5db) and one aria cc900. I'm thinking of doing something similar to what you did
Honestly if you A/B'd them to me at a reasonable volume I'd probably not be able to discern much, or any, difference between the two. What it did allow was for me to push the speakers a bit louder without having to worry about 'stressing out' the Denon amps when watching movies at louder playback as the Elac's can be a little bit harder to drive.

It's probably not worth spending the money though if you are satisfied with the sound coming out of the Denon. I did it purely to scratch an interest and to allow the Denon to stay cooler with those stereo amps off.

Dieter

So if I was to go wiim mini, minidsp flex, this amp, 2 subs and the best speakers I can afford, I’d be all set? usage: small / medium living room
absolutely.
I have a WiiM Pro, minidsp flex balanced, the NC502MP version of this amp into Arendal 1723 Monitors + 2 Arendal 1723 1S subs in a 30m² living room.
Best money I ever spent on audio gear.

btw: Before the Audiophonics NCore amp I used the Topping LA90 in this chain. I do not hear the sinad difference but I definitely hear the difference in power.

Last edited:

Snix

Is their website dead or is it just my connection acting up? :(

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
I bought this very same amp (XLR version) more than one and a half year ago, along with a smsl su-9, paired those more recently with a wiim and frankly i don't see any reason to change it as long as it works properly, it's a real delight whatever speakers i plugged into it, especially considering the price (thx ASR ♥️ community and @amirm ♥️). The system is totally transparent to my ears, a friend lended me a purify amp (audiophonics as well), i detected absolutely no sonic difference (not that i claim to have a golden ear).
I use it daily, it has shown no sign of any weakness, very often at more than half the power for long sessions and it remains relatively cool (not so surprising considering the large and sturdy case build).
About the company itself, I'm more than happy with the service, from the amazing choice of products for audiophiles to their stellar customer service (answer in 1 hour max, always on point, customer is king doctrine), i became a regular; best EU shop so far and by far (i welcome any other suggestion though).

PS: i definitely get a on/off ''umph'' , call me crazy but i like to hear that sound (probably a pavlovian response )
PS bis: i will find the time to create a PayPal account and donate, i'm so lazy ...sorry i didn't yet

Last edited:

alexkit

I wonder if aiyima t9 is included in it as a preamplifier, will there be sound?

Kimbrough Xu

I have this amp and it´s great. But I just ordered the Audiophonics Purifi amp, because it´s even better yes? ;)
Why do you think the Audiophonics Purifi amp is better than Audiophonics Hypex amp?

Kimbrough Xu

I have this exact Audiophonics Hypex amp from this review. Glad it gets good measurements and all, but honestly I can't really tell a difference versus my AVR's outputs (Denon X3600, which also gets good reviews here). Also A/B'd it to a cheap Fosi class D amp I have (with an instantly changing A/B switch I had built, level matched everything with a preamp on the Fosi too), barely heard a difference; very slight high frequency roll off on the Fosi. Speakers are Philharmonic BMRs. If you're spending $$ on amps, do it because there's nothing better else to spend $$ on in your system, or if you really have a high volume/power application (especially if you need to drive bass freqs).
Which fosi amp are you using?

Top Bottom