• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile music player for Windows/Mac and your opinion...

What is the best audiophile music player for Windows and Mac in 2023?

• Total voters
OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Primarily MusicBee and sometimes PlexAmp for me.

I find the UI for Foobar2000 very clunky, I couldn't get it to look the way I want and gave up with it (I'm not saying it's not possible, it just didn't work for me).

JRiver doesn't seem much better and I already use Plex for all my other media, so I don't want to pay for something else with such an overlap of features.

Roon looks lovely, but I really can't justify the cost of it to myself.
Foobar interface is doubtlessly obsolete...

AudioBoy

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1,013 KB · Views: 168

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The best audiophile music player for Windows/ Mac as per your choice and why do you like it?
What will it classify as audiophile?

Open Mind Audio

Since value was not part of the question, I am 9 million percent for Roon on this one. I love surfing their extended liner notes while listening, and between the radio function (which plumbs the depths of my digital library) and their recommendation engine, I constantly find new songs and artists.

JRiver has a cleaner route for multi-channel, so I will sometimes flip to it for MCH downloads. But everything about using JRiver, foobar, and the many others I've tried always drives home how much more FUN it is to use Roon.

Add in Qobuz integration, which vastly expands the albums and versions and artists available for surfing, and it's not even remotely close. Plus, Roon has good digital room correction built in.

As to value, well, then things get interesting .... but if money is not a question, Roon all day every day.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Long time user of JRiver.

Positives for me:

• As someone that had a large collection of CDs I like that it can rip and catalogue CDs, find artwork, etc. and store as uncompressed WAV files.
  • Easy to import files and include them in the library along with the ripped CDs.
  • Bit perfect playback.
  • DSP features.
  • Not a subscription model - Frequent updates are released, but for audio only, it's not necessary to upgrade to the latest version at every release. I think the current versions is 30.0, I'm still using 27.0.
Everything Count Arthur said, plus JRiver is a host both for VST plugins and convolution files. JRiver FTW.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Since value was not part of the question, I am 9 million percent for Roon on this one. I love surfing their extended liner notes while listening, and between the radio function (which plumbs the depths of my digital library) and their recommendation engine, I constantly find new songs and artists.

JRiver has a cleaner route for multi-channel, so I will sometimes flip to it for MCH downloads. But everything about using JRiver, foobar, and the many others I've tried always drives home how much more FUN it is to use Roon.

Add in Qobuz integration, which vastly expands the albums and versions and artists available for surfing, and it's not even remotely close. Plus, Roon has good digital room correction built in.

As to value, well, then things get interesting .... but if money is not a question, Roon all day every day.
Roon deserves your money because it has its unbeatable pretty interface but I don't think Roon is a mandatory tool for every audiophile out there...

Zaireeka

Long time foobar2000 user, I switched to MusicBee because I didn't need that much options but only a better UI.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I found JRiver has its "sound signature" even in bit-perfect mode..!
I think you might struggle to convince many members on ASR of that. Unless they're glitchy, the OS is intefering, or some EQ is applied, if the player is providing the same data to the USB port, there isn't really a mechanism for a "sound signature".

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because "audiophile" isn't just a theoretical term... It has its impact in real life and not all music players are eligible for the "audiophile" badge...
I’m none the wiser. What sort of impact do you mean? For instance why wouldn’t iTunes be an audiophile player as it’s not on your list or Plex, or mobile apps, etc.?

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

I think you might struggle to convince many members on ASR of that. Unless they're glitchy, the OS is intefering, or some EQ is applied, if the player is providing the same data to the USB port, there isn't really a mechanism for a "sound signature".
I'm not trying to convince anyone at all... I'm just telling that what I've realised. :)

Top Bottom