• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile music player for Windows/Mac and your opinion...

What is the best audiophile music player for Windows and Mac in 2023?

• Total voters

PaperBoat

The best audiophile music player for Windows/ Mac as per your choice and why do you like it?

AudiOhm

Foobar2000, Free and simple to use...

Ohms

Waxx

Major Contributor
Foobar is great, but hard to organise your libary when it's very big like mine. That's why i use JRiver, that does everything right that Foobar does right, but have a better libary system. It's not free altough, but cheap for what you get. If you want freeware, Foobar is better than anything else.

AudiOhm

All my files are stored in folders, all I do is "Add folder"...

Ohms

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Foobar is great, but hard to organise your libary when it's very big like mine. That's why i use JRiver, that does everything right that Foobar does right, but have a better libary system. It's not free altough, but cheap for what you get. If you want freeware, Foobar is better than anything else.
Have you ever felt that JRiver sounds thicker/ fatty than Foobar even if it's bit-perfect streaming? I've JRiver 29 and I feel somehow JRiver manipulating my music with its thick sound signature in bit-perfect mode! I know some people will not agree with this and name it the "placebo effect"...

Waxx

Major Contributor
never noticed that, but it could be that hte apo of windows is processing when you use wdm drivers for your soundcard. Try using wasapi drivers, not the standard wdm and disable the APO processing that windows give you with EAPO and make sure JRiver is not processing anything (because there is a dsp part in it).

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

never noticed that, but it could be that hte apo of windows is processing when you use wdm drivers for your soundcard. Try using wasapi drivers, not the standard wdm and disable the APO processing that windows give you with EAPO and make sure JRiver is not processing anything (because there is a dsp part in it).
Can't disable JRiver DSP processing completely because I don't rely on JRiver inbuilt clip protection, instead I use DMG Audio Tracklimit... Other settings like dither, volume control, resampling, replay gain are disabled. Hardware buffer is set to 50ms, installed IFI ASIO driver for my Multi-bit IFI Zen V2 with NO GTO filter running... Windows pc "C-State" is disabled. What else to do?

tuga

Major Contributor
HQPlayer. I use it in combination with iTunes/Music: browse with the latter then drag-drop into the HQP window.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about Groove? I use it sometimes in one of my laptops, I like the interface, but I use Foobar mainly.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Long time user of JRiver.

Positives for me:

• As someone that had a large collection of CDs I like that it can rip and catalogue CDs, find artwork, etc. and store as uncompressed WAV files.
  • Easy to import files and include them in the library along with the ripped CDs.
  • Bit perfect playback.
  • DSP features.
  • Not a subscription model - Frequent updates are released, but for audio only, it's not necessary to upgrade to the latest version at every release. I think the current versions is 30.0, I'm still using 27.0.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

What about Goove? I use it sometimes in one of my laptops, I like the interface, but I use Foobar mainly.
You mean "Groove"?

Long time user of JRiver.

Positives for me:

• As someone that had a large collection of CDs I like that it can rip and catalogue CDs, find artwork, etc. and store as uncompressed WAV files.
  • Easy to import files and include them in the library along with the ripped CDs.
  • Bit perfect playback.
  • DSP features.
  • Not a subscription model - Frequent updates are released, but for audio only, it's not necessary to upgrade to the latest version at every release. I think the current versions is 30.0, I'm still using 27.0.
I don't claiming that JRiver sounds bad at all... But JRiver interface is complex for new users and I've a doubt about its bit-perfectness...

Last edited:

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I vastly prefer the UI and consistency of MusicBee to JRiver.
JR appears to have more 'options flexibility' but can be pretty inscrutable in it's 'documentation' of Who is doing What to When.
I do like JRemote to stream selections (or playlists) from the Big System to various BT amps/dac littered around the house:)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
But JRiver interface is complex for new users
Pick an album, play a track, how simple do you need it?: :)

1676391214760.png

Zensō

Major Contributor
I like Roon on the Mac. The way they cross-reference artists is great for new music discovery. The built-in DSP is also very good. Unfortunately, their iOS apps are pretty terrible and I eventually left the service after waiting over a year on promised bug fixes that never materialized.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Primarily MusicBee and sometimes PlexAmp for me.

I find the UI for Foobar2000 very clunky, I couldn't get it to look the way I want and gave up with it (I'm not saying it's not possible, it just didn't work for me).

JRiver doesn't seem much better and I already use Plex for all my other media, so I don't want to pay for something else with such an overlap of features.

Roon looks lovely, but I really can't justify the cost of it to myself.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Important reason to use foobar2000 is free usages for roomcorrection using Mathaudio Room EQ. The simplicity and quality is amazing. It's REW an APO in one solution for tech dummies like me.

:facepalm:

dadregga

The best audiophile music player for Windows/ Mac as per your choice and why do you like it?

I dunno about "audiophile" - by that standard any of them are sufficient.

Anything that supports EQ, exposes the metadata/library interface I prefer (especially for classical which is a nightmare for most tagging/metadata systems), and also supports multichannel out for my 5.1 setup gets my pick - currently that's Roon which works seamlessly across both Mac and Win (which is nice because I also work across those).

Top Bottom