• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Resampling windows

Taupe1

Hey there! Curious about something so if I’m using qobuz desktop player on windows only playing the 16/44 files with the system output settings for the internal sound card set to 16/44 for playback and I have windows and qobuz volume fully up am I doing my best to minimize windows tampering with the quality ?

I know exclusive mode exists but with recoding loopback using audacity it dosent seem to like exclusive mode ( I’m assuming due to qobuz having exclusive use and audacity requesting to have playback ability it shows nothing when recording) so that’s not an option. It’s for sampling for music.

But otherwise is what I mentioned above about the best I can do then ? The music is lofi hip hop not known for its fidelity lol so it’s not a huge deal just curious.

Thanks !

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Qobuz should have volume normalization turned on, I think? Then you should not have any issues with the limiter in the Windows sound stack. I would, however, recommend 24/44 for playback and recording so you don't have any losses in bit depth. Make sure Audacity is using WASAPI input, to my knowledge this is still the only API enabling >16 bit samples unless you compile it with ASIO support included.

BTW, consider using Virtual Audio Cable or the like for some proper virtual sound devices.

OP
T

Taupe1

Qobuz should have volume normalization turned on, I think? Then you should not have any issues with the limiter in the Windows sound stack. I would, however, recommend 24/44 for playback and recording so you don't have any losses in bit depth. Make sure Audacity is using WASAPI input, to my knowledge this is still the only API enabling >16 bit samples unless you compile it with ASIO support included.

BTW, consider using Virtual Audio Cable or the like for some proper virtual sound devices.
I don't see volume normalization in the settings I can look a bit deeper, with the limiter would setting the windows volume or application(qobuz) at like 98-99% solve that ?

Would there be a loss in bit depth ? I've been having windows set at 16/44 and then record 16/44 stream with audacity set to 16/44. I think there would be a slight reduction if I I set the windows and qobuz volume to 99 to avoid the limiter but would the dithering and quantization distortion of the 16/44 stream from qobuz to 24/44 windows be worse in the long run ?

I have audacity set to wasapi loopback to record atm is that what you mean?

I'll have to look up virtual audio cable what would be the benefit using that ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Top Bottom