• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Blind Testing - You Are Doing It Wrong! (Video)

Art of sound

Just uploaded a video on the basics of performing controlled tests in audio. It was motivated by saving myself text in having to write all of this down when telling someone who to do these tests right. And as a counter to a few online personalities to keep saying they do "blind" tests yet when in reality they are not doing anything useful.

This paper is missing in scihub. Its got only 19 citations but within aes, but i did want to see the conclusions and methodology. moving on

Art of sound

kongwee

Major Contributor
During my work at audiophile days, I will switch components and consumer feedback to me. I can direct give pointer if they need help. I am convincing you to buy my gears, not to test you. My work place was shopping mall that house dozens of dealer in one place. Most of the big brands you can listen under one roof. People who buy gears has been comparing endless times. The place is Adelphi Singapore.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Long thread on the topic at Audiogon, in the midst of which someone claims Amir pulled the “wife heard a difference” thing..on a switch.

Anybody know what they are talking about?

JSmith

Master Contributor
someone claims Amir pulled the “wife heard a difference” thing..on a switch.

Anybody know what they are talking about?
Yes... here;
Here was the kicker. I was listening to the Nordost and my wife comes up from the kitchen and asks, "what did you do to your system? It sounds so much better!" I told her not this time. And that I was wearing headphones so no way she could have observed that! Disappointed that she didn't score a point with me and hence couldn't cash it for something else, she went back down leaving me to write this review....
So what are they carrying on about at Audiogon? :facepalm:

JSmith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes... here;

JSmith
Ha, I read that one. So they just don’t get sarcasm, I guess. Golden Ears have their limits.

Hilarious.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes... here;

JSmith
Carrying on about testing requires days, weeks and months before knowing if a improvement is realized is one thing.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hilarious.
Yep... especially this post;

1647827304336.png

JSmith

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
Carrying on about testing requires days, weeks and months before knowing if a improvement is realized is one thing.

I think Amir once mentioned his wife came in and started dancing to Cousin Dupree (Steely Dan) too. I hope she didn’t listen to the lyrics!

I read through a few dozen posts on the Audiogon thread. There are some true visionaries with idiosyncratic ideas concerning science, engineering, timbre, cables, power conditioning, and a range of other topics. If you want to see how human thinking can inventively contort, I recommend it as a sociological experiment.

Art of sound

I watched this youtube video on the top 100 papers based on citations and the it was mostly biological methodologies. Makes sense but some of them were simple improvements and not profoundly original and remotely ground breaking. There is a lot to learn from this simple point about science. Without methodologies most humans are lost

JSmith

Master Contributor
Probably this one... can't recall, you will have to watch it;

JSmith

kongwee

Major Contributor
Probably this one... can't recall, you will have to watch it;

JSmith
Nothing about the wife part mention. For me theoretically, it is not the switch that make the difference. Anything that connect to the power supply, change it's power factor. It will affect the biasing of your amps at the most that all.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone bothered to show the idiots on Audiogon that they're being idiots?

Top Bottom