• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Blind Testing - You Are Doing It Wrong! (Video)

Andysu

Major Contributor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I test them on the film app, everyone?
Test what on which app? Can you clarify? (you need to assume we don't know what you were looking at when you wrote that)

Beave

Major Contributor
Test what on which app? Can you clarify? (you need to assume we don't know what you were looking at when you wrote that)

It's a spammer account - that's why the post doesn't make any sense.

babadono

I am surprised by Amir's comments about go ahead take whatever time you need to listen to "A" and then "B". 2 weeks, a month then change and another 2 weeks or a month. My auditory memory is not that good. To easily fooled/adaptive. I know when something sounds horrible but between 2 relatively good systems especially if you are using the same loudspeakers and switching amps or cables. I don't think I could tell.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am surprised by Amir's comments about go ahead take whatever time you need to listen to "A" and then "B". 2 weeks, a month then change and another 2 weeks or a month. My auditory memory is not that good. To easily fooled/adaptive. I know when something sounds horrible but between 2 relatively good systems especially if you are using the same loudspeakers and switching amps or cables. I don't think I could tell.
It's to allow for the people who say it is not possible to get a proper impression of the sound if they are fast switching. If you are testing blind, fast switching is not a requirement. If they believe they have a better chance of telling a difference by listening longer - have at it.

If they are wrong, and are unable to tell the difference, then the blind listening protocol will show this.

babadono

It's to allow for the people who say it is not possible to get a proper impression of the sound if they are fast switching. If you are testing blind, fast switching is not a requirement. If they believe they have a better chance of telling a difference by listening longer - have at it.

If they are wrong, and are unable to tell the difference, then the blind listening protocol will show this.
Understood. I'm just saying for me to listen to something for 2 weeks then switch for 2 weeks (not Loudspeakers) and tell you which is better. I could not do it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Understood. I'm just saying for me to listen to something for 2 weeks then switch for 2 weeks (not Loudspeakers) and tell you which is better. I could not do it.
I agree. I don't think that anyone can.

But there are those that argue against blind testing by saying that you can't tell by fast switching. The answer to that is - "well don't then"

babadono

And I argue(too strong a word?) fast switching double blindly is the only way. Listen as long as you like to "A" but switch to "B" FAST. My auditory memory is too fleeting.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And I argue(too strong a word?) fast switching double blindly is the only way. Listen as long as you like to "A" but switch to "B" FAST. My auditory memory is too fleeting.
Still it is an oft heard criticism. That one can listen for days or whatever to fully take in sound character and if you switch something a difference is apparent. While fast switching is too stressful or doesn't give one time for full perception of sonic character. The Boston Audio society once had a box that either was a straight pass thru or had a circuit to produce I think 5% distortion. Handed out at random to members who took them home for a month and then chose whether they had a box with distortion or clean. They were told to listen for one month without switching out I think. Results were about 50/50. Then they were brought together at the next monthly meeting and used the same boxes with short segments and fast switching. All quickly learned to manage 100%. Still that complaint about blind tests is one heard over and over. So as said above, if you think you can do better with slow switching or long listening sessions before switching no problem just do the test that way. We know it isn't true, but if think otherwise do it your way.

Top Bottom