• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference (video)?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a video summary of two tests/reviews I have done in the past on audiophile Ethernet switches. It is more more of a tutorial of the technology than what was covered in the text reviews. It is a bit long at 35 minutes so feel free to speed it up (click on the gear icon in YouTube and select the faster speed).

Hopefully it can become a reference every time this topic comes up.

Tks

Major Contributor
giphy.gif

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So now that you're mixing/mastering and releasing content, you're officially a 'pro audio guy' now :D
Didn't think of that. I will have to add that to my existing long list of titles!!! :D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice! Don’t forget the ASR icon for your YouTube channel (or do you need more subs to change that?)

Love the genuine frustration with these products somewhere in the middle of the video :facepalm: ;).

D

Deleted member 24907

As a non technical with audiophile tendencies I am glad I found this site. For me, the lame language explanations are very important to be able to understand what you are doing. If a goal is to convince audiophiles then my suggestion would be to pay extra attention to this, or maybe create some tutorials on the measurements and used data on upper secondary school level. Thanks again.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
What about WiFi, how much does SINAD etc change if you switch from Ethernet to WiFi??

digicidal

Major Contributor
What about WiFi, how much does SINAD etc change if you switch from Ethernet to WiFi??
I could see how the amount of jitter might change (likely increase) but how would SINAD change at all? No matter how the zeros and ones got there - they stayed digital. You either have enough of them to construct the signal and convert it... or you don't and get no sound at all (which is how my WiFi seems to work most of the time). I suppose that improperly shielded WiFi components in the same device could contribute some additional noise however - is that what you were thinking of?

I haven't tried to determine the noise level during drop-outs... but with a signal level of 0db I can guarantee SINAD certainly didn't improve at the very least. Most likely it becomes a NADIS value at that point (are we measuring that now?) :D

Objectivist01

This is a video summary of two tests/reviews I have done in the past on audiophile Ethernet switches. It is more more of a tutorial of the technology than what was covered in the text reviews. It is a bit long at 35 minutes so feel free to speed it up (click on the gear icon in YouTube and select the faster speed).

Hopefully it can become a reference every time this topic comes up.
Can you do a video about bit perfect players ? Something like foobar , jriver, iTunes, the android paid app usb audio pro. I think they all sound thr same. Can you somehow measure to see they have any difference while I bit perfect mode ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank Amir, but the video format for the test is not my taste... 36min... I haven't the time...

Usually i read your review and graph in 2min...

Well yes, probably these video's are not really targeted at the hardcore ASR audience. You don't need to tell those that an audiophile network switch is a ripoff! I think that for the target audience this format is pretty good. You might squeeze out 10 more minutes though and make it just a bit more compact.

Top Bottom