• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM19 Bookshelf Speaker Review

bunnyfuzz

In 2012 I ordered a new pair of ATC SCM20ASL Pro's with the cast aluminum chassis. They came with a hole (defect) in the side of one of them. Replacement pair soon developed lack of highs in one speaker and odd self noises. The dope (tar substance) on the SL drivers was applied inconsistently so each driver appeared differently finished from the other. Looked imprecise. (FYI: That dope finish is tacky/sticky and dirt and dust sticks to it like a magnet) They went back again and took months (2-3) for any progress. This was a time when they were transitioning over to a newer, less expensive version of the SCM20ASL Pro's. Eventually, they just replaced my new speakers with SCM25A Pro's. Because I was tired of dealing with ATC's warrantee I just sold them on. All of these speakers weigh 60 lbs each. ATC did take care of the return charges each time.

What I want to bring attention to is the port hole on the SCM25A's. In most photos of the SCM25A the port is on the bottom rear of the speaker adjacent to the woofer.
4fce9d9bd6abfeb2fa6343b6d2194fe7--music-studios-dream-studio.jpg

On the pair I received the port was on the top rear adjacent the woofer.
iu.jpeg

This photo ⬆︎ is actually from their webpage and shows the "other" port location.

SCM25A-large.jpg

Are they just getting the box upside down during assembly?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Regarding ATC's line-up. Hifimaailma had an interesting blind test comparing 14 speakers in the +-1000€ range. ATC SCM7 ended up in last place.

The winner was Heco Celan Revolution 3 followed by Revel M16 and Focal Aria 906.
From the test:
The British ATC is the smallest and only enclosed speaker based in the comparison. As such, it is, in a sense, in the position of a sub-responder, as a speaker implemented with a reflex or passive element is most often more efficient in the bass range. Especially in the listening room of Hifimaailm, the tiny closed speaker easily gets a little light on its bass, which was also evident in the listening.

In a smaller room, and especially in apartment building conditions at a quieter intensity, listening estimates would probably have been more favorable to ATC. Its advantages are somewhere far beyond a blind comparison against its bigger ones. You can read more about the hi-fi world number 1/2015 from ATC when it was tested together with its big brother SCM40. In that case, the listening ratings were more favorable.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Revel concerta 2:
In the Revel collection of the Harman Group, the Concerta2 collection, which is at an affordable end, is derived from the successful Performa3 series. Introduced three years ago, the M16 features a waveguide in front of the treble that integrates the radiation pattern into the bass midrange. The glossy piano lacquered case is rounded on the sides so that transverse grooves are made in the plain straight plate, after which the plate is bent. The inner wall is also reinforced with MDF board.

Revel's sound is well controlled and his tone is dark. There is no strain of any kind, and while the treble is muted, the speaker separates details effortlessly. For a longer period of time, this is useful, even if at first hearing the speaker doesn’t aim to make a lasting impression. In a small room, the reflex tube is worth clogging, as the bass level is quite high. The entertainingly comfortable speaker works great in a larger room and is not a hassle when loaded.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amplification and damping play a massive role when your LF driver assembly weighs 9kg. The amplifier is moving possibly a pound of mass with each inflection [..]
??? Can you elaborate a little more, please?

wgb113

Maybe I missed it but who sent these over to Amir?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The UK price for the current model is £2150 so I'd expect that to be more like €2500.
I think its €2800 in The Netherlands, I was looking for a second hand pair when I was looking for speakers because they were over my budget otherwise. After all of this and a detour with PMC Twenty.22's I'm glad I landed at the M106's.

Except the ATC drivers at all levels are being held up by users an ATC themselves as examples of state-of-the-art design, for reasons such as the extraordinarily large motor. The pricing and market positioning of the ATC dome clearly shows that they really think so.

Yes, this is what I fell for and made me put them on my shortlist.

Revel concerta 2:
In the Revel collection of the Harman Group, the Concerta2 collection, which is at an affordable end, is derived from the successful Performa3 series. Introduced three years ago, the M16 features a waveguide in front of the treble that integrates the radiation pattern into the bass midrange. The glossy piano lacquered case is rounded on the sides so that transverse grooves are made in the plain straight plate, after which the plate is bent. The inner wall is also reinforced with MDF board.

Revel's sound is well controlled and his tone is dark. There is no strain of any kind, and while the treble is muted, the speaker separates details effortlessly. For a longer period of time, this is useful, even if at first hearing the speaker doesn’t aim to make a lasting impression. In a small room, the reflex tube is worth clogging, as the bass level is quite high. The entertainingly comfortable speaker works great in a larger room and is not a hassle when loaded.

I guess they are testing them in a well damped room, because I wouldn't call my M106's light on treble and dark.

I definitely don't have a low-mid hump, I definitely don't experience any excursion limits, in fact, the lack of distortion at high SPL is second to none. The eq correction made by Amir says to me that the amp driving this test was underpowered.

He uses a class D power amplifier with the Klippel setup, don't know which one but its probably something from Crown that is capable of delivering in excess of 200W @ 8ohm. The amplifier he uses for his listening tests is a Mark Levinson monoblock with stupid amounts for power. Believe it was 500W@8ohm and 1000W@4ohm. Maybe @amirm can confirm. But if you are right then ATC's own amplifiers are severely underpowered.

Last edited:

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd appreciate if you'd learn to be a little less rude ..,

Thanks .

Will do, just didn't like when someone try to put word in my mouth, will just put anyone do that on my ignore list next time.

ReaderZ

A botched product at a price point where you can clearly rule out cost related compromises means a problem somewhere in the design phase. Unless a completely different part of the company designed those, I don't see why I can't judge the company by this result. Or are you arguing that the skills to make good active and passive speakers are completely different?

So we can write off an entire company for one product?

ReaderZ

What Apple products does that not apply to?

Well, if you hold that view, then we can just agree to disagree... (I do believe that most apple products are not great and over priced, but not all. Completely off topic though)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
And now you can EQ them to an even higher level through Amir's measurements!
Nope, they are useless because every room is a little bit different. Especially in the low end. But above 550hz-ish I don't need any equalisation to get a good response anyway.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, they are useless because every room is a little bit different. Especially in the low end. But above 550hz-ish I don't need any equalisation to get a good response anyway.

I'd at least attempt to EQ them above Schroeder based on his data - fooled around with it in REW and there's some potential there, imo. The nice thing of course is you can always turn it off if you find it redundant. In fact I'm tempted to get a pair of M106 just to play with..

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I think its €2800 in The Netherlands, I was looking for a second hand pair when I was looking for speakers because they were over my budget otherwise. After all of this and a detour with PMC Twenty.22's I'm glad I landed at the M106's.

Yes, this is what I fell for and made me put them on my shortlist.

I guess they are testing them in a well damped room, because I wouldn't call my M106's light on treble and dark.

He uses a class D power amplifier with the Klippel setup, don't know which one but its probably something from Crown that is capable of delivering in excess of 200W @ 8ohm. The amplifier he uses for his listening tests is a Mark Levinson monoblock with stupid amounts for power. Believe it was 500W@8ohm and 1000W@4ohm. Maybe @amirm can confirm. But if you are right then ATC's own amplifiers are severely underpowered.
How do you find their suggestion of clogging the reflex port in a small room?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The eq correction made by Amir says to me that the amp driving this test was underpowered.
Jon-Stewart-Spits-Out-His-Popcorn-Gif.gif

My monoblock amplifier is rated and measured at 500 watts into 8 ohm and 1000 watts into 4 ohm. Would be very hard to position it as "underpowered." Indeed it had so much power to bottom out the woofer with no trouble on the ATC until I gave it a filter to get rid of low bass.

Pharos

The point I was alluding to in my last post was the difficulty of correlating a subjective opinion with a set of measurements, and which Toole is addressing.

Personally I have used Macs since '91, and up to system 9 I found them vastly superior to PCs. Now they have converged, and Mojave is not as straight forward, but the build quality has always been better, and the reliability good. My SE30 died in '05, and its Motherboard has '86 on it.

I don't think that ATC has the facilities of some of the larger companies, and so they are less likely to be able to do intensive radical research, and to me there is now a major shift going on. To denigrate ATC, given their wide usage in the audio and video industries, suggests that the users have cloth ears, and also many users have other makes of monitor with which to compare them, B&W, ADAM, Genelec and others, maybe still Quad.

With regard to amplifier power, a greater concern to me would be current supplying ability.

I think Ad Hominem stuff should be avoided, and tighter reasoning and language used.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The point I was alluding to in my last post was the difficulty of correlating a subjective opinion with a set of measurements, and which Toole is addressing.

Personally I have used Macs since '91, and up to system 9 I found them vastly superior to PCs. Now they have converged, and Mojave is not as straight forward, but the build quality has always been better, and the reliability good. My SE30 died in '05, and its Motherboard has '86 on it.

I don't think that ATC has the facilities of some of the larger companies, and so they are less likely to be able to do intensive radical research, and to me there is now a major shift going on. To denigrate ATC, given their wide usage in the audio and video industries, suggests that the users have cloth ears, and also many users have other makes of monitor with which to compare them, B&W, ADAM, Genelec and others, maybe still Quad.

With regard to amplifier power, a greater concern to me would be current supplying ability.

I think Ad Hominem stuff should be avoided, and tighter reasoning and language used.
I've always thought that ATC, with their "pro" market, were much bigger than the usual boutique makers, with R&D facilities to match. Have I had this wrong all this time?

I agree with everything else you say. It often looks as if some "have their knives out" ready to attack, as if they already "knew" that ATCs were overpriced and overrated. I'm just baffled (sorry!) by the apparently poor showing here.

Top Bottom