• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR == Anti-Science Review

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
So, OP really was a troll :facepalm:

I feel a bit violated and ashamed, but mostly I just take it as a healthy lesson in the subject of my own internet naivety :D

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Maybe I'm just more kinky than the rest of you :p

But just for good measure: *at -121dB* "......SINAD!"

Oh, I think "more" is a sliding scale....

I've sometimes thought of trolling an audio show by grabbing the wife and going in costume.

images

Luckily, Halloween is in only a few weeks.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
In a post-ASR world there would be a competition between audio gear manufacturers to design a product with worst possible measurements, but still unrecognizable from a stellar one in the double blind test.
Very true.

digicidal

Major Contributor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Sometimes you can't articulate very well what you think/feel. I think that's probably more the case here than outright trolling.

It's probably why he stuck to terse, short posts and got so heated so fast.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I am suspicious of the the Pink Panthers. Can't tell if they are pro or anti science. They look mighty subjective to me.

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
Headless Panther.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
Sometimes you can't articulate very well what you think/feel. I think that's probably more the case here than outright trolling.

It's probably why he stuck to terse, short posts and got so heated so fast.
If he stuck to a single account - I'd be inclined to agree... that not being the case - less so. I often have problems communicating ideas clearly, and am frustrated by the misunderstanding it creates - but if you're not willing to "work through that" - then it is a form of trolling IMO. Maybe just not deliberate in the same sense as is most likely during a particularly poor review of a $6K DAC however. ;)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If he stuck to a single account - I'd be inclined to agree... that not being the case - less so. I often have problems communicating ideas clearly, and am frustrated by the misunderstanding it creates - but if you're not willing to "work through that" - then it is a form of trolling IMO. Maybe just not deliberate in the same sense as is most likely during a particularly poor review of a $6K DAC however. ;)
A $6k DAC is trolling IMO.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Peoples' feelings get hurt waaay to quickly in these discussions. With such fragile online personae, I can't image how such people get by in the real world.

The written or spoken word is rather benign in the grand scheme of things.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
IME/IMO Internet discussions tend to get heated and out of control far more readily than personal (face-to-face) interactions. No pausing, no seeing body language or hearing the yelling in person to make you say "wait, what, let's think about this", too easy to talk past one another, not as easy to reach for a notepad and draw things out, etc. On the 'net no one can see you smile.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Peoples' feelings get hurt waaay to quickly in these discussions. With such fragile online personae, I can't image how such people get by in the real world.

The written or spoken word is rather benign in the grand scheme of things.
Online you can be more direct and expressive than in person, usually. It's no wonder that equally direct responses from others make the blood boil. Shows how people really aren't used to being that forward day-to-day.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
IME/IMO Internet discussions tend to get heated and out of control far more readily than personal (face-to-face) interactions. No pausing, no seeing body language or hearing the yelling in person to make you say "wait, what, let's think about this", too easy to talk past one another, not as easy to reach for a notepad and draw things out, etc. On the 'net no one can see you smile.
Online you can be more direct and expressive than in person, usually. It's no wonder that equally direct responses from others make the blood boil. Shows how people really aren't used to being that forward day-to-day.

Guys....

We've had the internet for 20+ years.

While everything you said is true, ignorance and differences from physical reality are no longer really a valid excuse.

Heck, some of our members are certainly young enough to have spent more of their social life online than offline.

The internet just makes it easy to be an asshole because people can't see your face and punch you in it.

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am suspicious of the the Pink Panthers. Can't tell if they are pro or anti science. They look mighty subjective to me.

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
View attachment 36360

They seem to align themselves pretty well with objective measurements. Sometimes they do have an exaggerated reaction and lose their head, but overall, panthers appear to be on the side of science.

Top Bottom