• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR == Anti-Science Review

Jimster480

Major Contributor
There are a few members who have posted in this thread who have caused quite a few heated debates... neither is banned so I doubt anyone else is. Unless they are literally just attacking staff members and other forum members.

Disagreement is totally fine on this forum and there have been plenty of lengthy debates. Since this forum is quite objective; there are many people who will usually try to come and rationally explain to you why you should change your mind.

If you wish to ignore everyone; then that is your own freedom. But that certainly doesn't mean you will be banned.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Anytime there is a poster that challenges the the deeply held belief systems on this forum certain forum members are deeply offended emotionally...

That hardly makes this gathering unique.

And maybe it is just your subjective impression of the responses given.

...and then silence the poster with a ban.

Oh, now, that's a rare occurrence.

Who do you have in mind?

How is this forum scientific if there is no objective discussions because certain people are too emotionally immature to consider what they believe may be wrong?

There are many objective discussions.

It's the subjective discussions that get derailed.

Is this thread intended to be one?

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"ASR == Anti-Science Review"

Hey, I like the way that sounds! I think I will put it on a t-shirt...

The double equal sign though is something that only a C programmer understands so I suggest going with just one.
ASR == anti-science review
So, ASR == anti minus science review
So ASR == anti
ASR == A
QED

BillG

Major Contributor
Anytime there is a poster that challenges the the deeply held belief systems

What belief systems might that be?

I personally don't believe anything unless I've got some evidence to support it. What my physical senses might present to me doesn't always count as I'm aware that preceptions can be easily manipulated, both intentionally and unintentionally... o_O

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@HiFiSoundFarts I think this is the first thread you started from what I've read of your posts. My general sense is that you think ASR is in someway missing a part of the script when it comes to a basic, fundamental understanding of scientific inquiry in general. I would really like to read a long, in-depth post where you make clear what you think is wrong and what you think should be done. I can only do so much to fix my own perspective, if you get my meaning.

This is a completely serious invitation.

Hypnotoad

I am a member of three major audio/hifi forums, I rate ASR as being for the objective HiFi enthusiast, the other two which I won't name, the first being for the subjective WTMM (Way Too Much Money) enthusiast, the other is in between, with subjective and objective enthusiasts.

One thing that should be pointed out is that it's not compulsory to jump on anyone that has different views than your own, but as I said earlier every forum has there fair share of those types.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
How is this forum scientific if there is no objective discussions because certain people are too emotionally immature to consider what they believe may be wrong?

I have no problem considering that my believes may be wrong. Because they are just that. Believes. In best case the early crumbly foundation for a hypothesis. Present me some solid peer reviewable evidence that contradicts them and I'll gladly discard my believes.

Your claim of the the inner workings of the free market somehow being more scientific than the scientific method itself is not evidence. It's just bonkers. Any economics graduate can tell you that.

If you really want people to take you seriously, you should stop pushing believes as actual fact (I'm no saint on that account either) and instead propose something that can be tested. Or at least admit that it's merely a a belief, and that it therefore should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you have no intend of doing that, then you deserve the label as a troll, and I should stop feeding you... again.

Last edited:

gene_stl

Forum Donor
Anytime there is a poster that challenges the the deeply held belief systems on this forum certain forum members are deeply offended emotionally and then silence the poster with a ban. How is this forum scientific if there is no objective discussions because certain people are too emotionally immature to consider what they believe may be wrong?

I have not necessarily caught all of your threads but you strike me as someone who might be happier at one of the "listening based" fora of which there are many. Discussion as you refer to it ,, is not objective it is subjective. Measurements are objective. My observation is that "listening based audiophiles" are the ones who frequently are too emotionally immature, or in my experience too technologically lazy (to learn the scientific foundation that audio is based on whether as a hobby or in professional life.) to review scientific data. They are the ones that freak out when their beloved tube amps measure like shit. This is a great group. If you don't like it here, I think you should find someplace that fits your view of the hobby,, better.

Hypnotoad

This is a great group. If you don't like it here, I think you should find someplace that fits your view of the hobby,, better.

To sum up what you are saying, this is a great group if you fit into the objective category, if you don't you may like it better elsewhere.;)

Last edited:

Hypnotoad

Still, it shouldn't become a ghetto. Anybody ought to be welcome as long as they respect the values of the forum and play nicely.

Exactly.

gene_stl

Forum Donor
I do not put words in other peoples mouths nor do I sit still when people try to do it to me. What I said above is sufficiently clear and does not require restating nor rearrangement by anyone else.

Also Amir is the one that is responsible for this forum existing. He is the one that by rights can determine who is welcome and who may not be as well as the more's of this forum.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Anytime there is a poster that challenges the the deeply held belief systems on this forum certain forum members are deeply offended emotionally and then silence the poster with a ban. How is this forum scientific if there is no objective discussions because certain people are too emotionally immature to consider what they believe may be wrong?

Between the name and the posts...I'm still not convinced this isn't more trolling...

Discussions can certainly develop sharp edges at times, but as long as people maintain a general sense of decorum, seldom does it devolve into name calling or bans...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone banned just for disagreeing...

Now, you may have a skewed view, given the nature of your posts, which seem almost custom tailored to generate WTF kinds of responses...

Hard to say. Maybe you'd rather share your sound farts where it is more appreciated? Clearly your brilliance is lost on us.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well with how many people responded to this post sounds like he hit some sensitive nerves.

It's all "text on a screen" to me.

Though sometimes I catch myself contemplating of what a face-to-face exchange would consist.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I am a member of three major audio/hifi forums, I rate ASR as being for the objective HiFi enthusiast, the other two which I won't name, the first being for the subjective WTMM (Way Too Much Money) enthusiast, the other is in between, with subjective and objective enthusiasts.

One thing that should be pointed out is that it's not compulsory to jump on anyone that has different views than your own, but as I said earlier every forum has there fair share of those types.

WTMM, I love that.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Well with how many people responded to this post sounds like he hit quite a few sensitive nerves.

Not sensitive nerves. More like sensible people.

Top Bottom