• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 46 14.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 271 82.4%

• Total voters

Vuki

Yes, the filter strength is very low but it was enough to change the character of the upper bass. Once all the filters were in place, I performed AB tests and boy, I really, really liked the results with this EQ. We are talking about subtle differences but the sound was more open and clarity was improved.
Q5 -1dB
Yeah, right! :D

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To accomplish this, it meant precisely matching the directivity of the woofer and tweeter at crossover. Doing so without a waveguide on the tweeter is an extremely difficult task, but it is possible as these measurements clearly indicate. It was also our goal to offer wider horizontal dispersion, something a waveguide limits.

This meant sampling dozens and dozens of tweeters and it just so happened that a new tweeter from SEAS offered better directivity than the highly regarded 27TBCD, more commonly known as the DXT, which incorporates a highly specialized deep waveguide. It was my understanding from my discussions with SEAS that this new tweeter will eventually replace the DXT. (note the similar model designations). The Titan tweeter has much wider dispersion, lower distortion, and a more linear frequency response. Feel free to contact SEAS directly to discuss this. Exactly how they accomplished this directivity with a “flat” waveguide is a combination of many factors, but indeed - they accomplished it and the proof is right there. I was quite shocked as well, and I also publicly mentioned this with the release of our LX.

That stated, we have only been able to accomplish this using this specific dome tweeter, which is why we used it in our LX and now with the S1V2 as well as our new towers and horizon.

You can see in the measurements of our NFS optimized 340SE2 that we could not achieve such a linear sound power response which uses a different SEAS tweeter. Believe me, if I could figure out a way to tinker with frequency response to match directivity between a woofer and tweeter, I would have done so. The only control a crossover has over directivity is crossover point and the filter slopes. Tinkering with response amplitude does not affect directivity.
THIS is the most interesting ~100 words in this whole thread. Here is an ordinary looking dome tweeter (metal at that) in an ordinary looking faceplate mounted in an ordinary looking ~0.5 cu ft mostly square box in a two-way design mated to an average-sized woofer. There's no waveguide (per se, agree with baffle comment), no special rounded housing, no special spacing, no co-axial arrangement, no offsets or jumps in housing shape or size to offset the baffle step. We're told this is impossible, you can't mate a dome tweeter to woofer in a box and do this. In fact, you confirm you have not been able to do this with any other dome tweeters you tested. I suppose the takeaway here is that I would really, really like someone to investigate what Seas is doing with the design of this tweeter that makes it so unusual. Is the dome taller or flatter? Is the screen attenuating output in certain directions? There are many tweeters with different details around the size and shape of the surround, and also the very beginning of the faceplate often has a "lip" or a bevel or a faint recess, so why this one? Looking at it from an angle the dome is somewhat recessed in the faceplate so is a small waveguide just enough? I would love to see some FEA modelling of the sound propagation coming from this thing. I would also love to see whatever secret sauce they are using applied to other tweeters like the Be hunk of $$$ sitting on my desk right now...
h1825-06.jpg

Matt_Holland

I don't think I have seen such a smooth estimate in-room response.
As impressive as that is from an engineering point of view, I think that aiming for the flattest on-axis response at the slight expense of the estimated room response would be preferable. This is because in a good sounding room, and with speakers clear of side walls the direct sound will be dominant in the listening impression, especially as the ear/brain is able to ignore much of the reflected sound.

Ismapics

Visited the company Website and was impressed. They are really taking advantage of the Kippel Scanner which gives the consumer a higher level of confidence. There is their signature series LRC MTM style that if they sound as good as the measurements show, would be a great value.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Today when I checked, Erin has a review of the KEF Blade & Amir has a review of the Sierra 1-V2. What a great time to be an audio hobbyist!
Nah, eff the 'audio hobbyist nonsense :D' It's a great time to be a MUSIC LOVER who appreciates high quality reproduction of said music :D

I don't and anyway can't now 'listen like an audiophile' any more and thank the good lord I can't!!! The music is so damned important though and I must say that, for those in the US where you're not slapped for import duty, VAT and so on, let alone exorbitant shipping charges, I'd give these serious consideration :)

Cincyret

Nah, eff the 'audio hobbyist nonsense :D' It's a great time to be a MUSIC LOVER who appreciates high quality reproduction of said music :D

I don't and anyway can't now 'listen like an audiophile' any more and thank the good lord I can't!!! The music is so damned important though and I must say that, for those in the US where you're not slapped for import duty, VAT and so on, let alone exorbitant shipping charges, I'd give these serious consideration :)
Yes! Another example: I listen to the SMP on Good Friday. Last night I tracked down a 1950 recording by Karajan at a Bach festival in Vienna on Qobuz. A great time to be a music lover.

ElJaimito

I haven't heard it to judge in person, but I am reminded of the old saw: "Bass response, size, efficiency - pick any two". Of course with many bookshelf speakers you don't even get the two. Well done to the designers, it appears to be an excellent piece of work.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard it to judge in person, but I am reminded of the old saw: "Bass response, size, efficiency - pick any two". Of course with many bookshelf speakers you don't even get the two. Well done to the designers, it appears to be an excellent piece of work.
With today's options of high performing class D amps, efficiency smithiency, who gives a damn?

I can buy 4 Buckeye Purifi 1ET7040SA mono block amps and bi amp each speaker and it would cost me less than half of what I would pay for an McIntosh amp.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me kindly remind of what Toole says about the scores:
Yeah, as someone who computes the scores you can easily see how just a difference in directivity changes the score a decent bit. I‘d say for a traditional speaker, +/- 2 or thereabouts as a margin like be considered (meaning don't discount a speaker that scored a 5 in favor of one that’s a 7, without at least looking at the graphs).

I do wish someday we (the royal we) can make a legitimate testing rig and do blind listening tests. But as Matthew Poes (who is doing this with some company) told me, you need people to come back and retest, as the same people can give a significantly different score for the same speakers just based on their mood that day.

But, as Amir will warn, let’s not muddy this thread with discussions about the preference score (there are designated threads for this).

madrac

Amazing! I'm wondering if they sell to the UK? These are in the right price bracket to be my new desktop speakers. Not sure if they are made for nearfield use though. Also not available in white plus they look very similar to my existing pair so my wife would be wondering where the $1000 went. It is about a lot more than looks though.
I believe so as there are owners in the UK posting on their forum. Send Dave / Dina an email and ask - or post on their forum. Dave generally replies in a few days, give or take.
Not only do they offer a great value in speakers, they are a pleasure to work with and straight-shooters.

EDIT: I just went to the Ascend Forum - yes, they do ship to the UK. Someone in London posted in January that his pair of ELX Ribbon Towers was shipping shortly.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One feature missing from these speakers, and many others regardless of cost, is the provision for bi-amping/bi-wiring the speakers. As with op-amp rolling this may be a niche requirement. Obviously the omission of two terminals, two straps and a modicum of internal wiring add up to a small cost saving, but having the option, as with the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 design, is today a real bonus and selling point for those who "hear the difference".
With what practical purpose? One of the things I admired about the speakers buying v.1. You can get Dave's take on those over at forum.ascendacoustics.com IIRC....

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the Sierra-LX for almost a year, and they are simply amazing. They didn't get reviews and coverage like this when they launched, but it's nice to see their new baby siblings, the 1-V2, getting so much attention now. The under-$1K price point helps a lot, is the sweet spot for a lot of buyers.
I, too, own the lx and cant say enough good things about them. Very impressed by them.

madrac

I own a pair of LX also and they are fabulous speakers. Using them in my office.
ELX RAAL Towers v2 are the mains in my primary listening room, along with the corresponding Horizon ELX RAAL v2, S2EX, and 4 HTM200's. Another pair of HTM200s and a Duo v2 currently at my place in Rio.

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
Impressive! These look to meet or exceed the performance of the M105 at a lower retail while being assembled in America and likely offering better support. Great job hitting that (presumed) design target.

I don't see anything to fault here. People needing high output and low distortion in the bass/midbass region should obviously consider larger monitors, or take advantage of the displacement and sensitivity benefits of towers.

Top Bottom