• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 V2 - Review & Measurements by Erin

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He certainly doesn’t have much in the way of complaints, which is a good thing. The only “significant” drawback seems to be its output limitations, which is reasonably expected for a compact bookshelf speaker with a single 5.25” mid/woofer.
The output limitations seem pretty insignificant considering they're a monitor ,the fix there ( if one is needed ) is a decent sub, the value prospects boggle the mind.. I'd bet they are very competitive with *every monitor* south of $2000.. I know that's a bold statement but it seems realistic, i think Dave just reset the standard at this price point...

tw 2022

He certainly doesn’t have much in the way of complaints, which is a good thing. The only “significant” drawback seems to be its output limitations, which is reasonably expected for a compact bookshelf speaker with a single 5.25” mid/woofer. Of course, Ascend has larger models which presumably remedy that issue for most domestic situations.
I'd bet the lx is better in low end quality, I'd bet it plays a bit cleaner, but I'd bet you need to a/b them to know..

RMW_NJ

IMG_3557.jpeg

LX distortion for reference.

Steve81

Forum Donor
The output limitations seem pretty insignificant considering they're a monitor ,the fix there ( if one is needed ) is a decent sub, the value prospects boggle the mind..
I was thinking the towers plus subs, but maybe I'm just a glutton for SPLs :p

I'd bet they are very competitive with *every monitor* south of $2000.. I know that's a bold statement but it seems realistic, i think Dave just reset the standard at this price point...
I don't think it's that bold. Between the realities of diminishing returns, and the fact that a not-insignificant portion of the market is garbage, the Sierras should hold their own quite well. I mean, I'd take them over the Wilson TuneTots any day of the week, and they're a lot more than $2k.

HighFutility

KEF is going to have a run for their money. I hope Ascend Acoustics shakes up the audio space! Price, performance and finish. You can have your cake and eat it too!

GR research working frantically in the background, creating an upgrade mod as we speak. What a time to be alive!

Last edited:

192kbps

Can I buy it only on the official website? Do they ship to other countries?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Can I buy it only on the official website? Do they ship to other countries?
I just tried to checkout.

For me it said:
"There is one shipping rate available for British Columbia, Canada.
We will contact you with the best available freight quote. You will not be charged until you approve the quote, please continue. "

But I won't know the shipping, until I enter my credit card, and complete the checkout process first.

JAJDACT

I just tried to checkout.

For me it said:
"There is one shipping rate available for British Columbia, Canada.
We will contact you with the best available freight quote. You will not be charged until you approve the quote, please continue. "

But I won't know the shipping, until I enter my credit card, and complete the checkout process first.
You could email Dave or Dina and I'm sure they could quote you over the phone or through email.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Output capability would increase with an active version.
Wonder if actives are in the Ascend Acoustics plans?

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Considering the stunning level of performance they managed to achieve with this passive design, an active crossover/DSP speaker from them would just kill the game. :cool:

Yeah, unfortunately a perfectly measuring speaker still needs more to sound great in our compromised home spaces. Cardioid/dsp is the current trend to address this.
But, wow! They are allready brilliant

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
he output limitations seem pretty insignificant considering they're a monitor ,the fix there ( if one is needed ) is a decent sub, the value prospects boggle the mind.
This seems like a nice monitor, but I actually think it's a good example of a case where a sub isn't going to play much louder. Looking at the distortion and compression, it tops out at around 96ish dB @ 1m before compression and distortion start to become a serious problem all the way up to 200hz. 3rd harmonic in particular is already over 3% at 96dB. Since these graphs are tested with sweeps(ie only one frequency playing at a time), adding a sub would not change the results of these tests, you'll still be limited at 150-200hz best case.

Considering the price and 5" driver size this performance is quite good though. If you compare to the much more expensive 8331A which also has a ~5" woofer, yes it performs better at 96dB(especially distortion, 3rd harmonic is much lower!) but not by THAT much. You might get another 2-3dB out of it before it reaches its limits.

FWIW I think if you're listening at more than 2m you should just be looking for something larger than a 5" woofer, 6"-8" minimum. Below 2m the output isn't going to be a huge problem.

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
This seems like a nice monitor, but I actually think it's a good example of a case where a sub isn't going to play much louder. Looking at the distortion and compression, it tops out at around 96ish dB @ 1m before compression and distortion start to become a serious problem all the way up to 200hz. 3rd harmonic in particular is already over 3% at 96dB. Since these graphs are tested with sweeps(ie only one frequency playing at a time), adding a sub would not change the results of these tests, you'll still be limited at 150-200hz best case.

Considering the price and 5" driver size this performance is quite good though. If you compare to the much more expensive 8331A which also has a ~5" woofer, yes it performs better at 96dB(especially distortion, 3rd harmonic is much lower!) but not by THAT much. You might get another 2-3dB out of it before it reaches its limits.

FWIW I think if you're listening at more than 2m you should just be looking for something larger than a 5" woofer, 6"-8" minimum. Below 2m the output isn't going to be a huge problem.
I agree with this, but the flip side is in knowing what spl you tend to listen at. It's a good idea to figure out for yourself what kind of spl you need, even if you sit at longer distances.

JSmith

Master Contributor
GR research working frantically in the background, creating an upgrade mod as we speak
Actually Ascend offer an upgrade kit from V1 to 2EX V2;
and;

JSmith

AscendDF

Audio Company
Comparison between Erin's and vendor's spins:
View attachment 328883

Just look at the similarity... remarkable!
Wow.

This is what I call the worldclass of independently replicable data.

I hope more manufacturers are payimg attention.

Thank you for noticing and bringing attention to this extremely important fact. Yes, Erin's NFS measurements very closely mirror our own and I discussed how important this level of measurement consistency is in our forum announcement of the Sierra-1 V2. It 100% confirms the extreme accuracy and reliability of the NFS, it is truly quite remarkable. I have been measuring speakers for practically a lifetime now, having used nearly every hardware and/or software based measurement system out there - I can honestly say I have never seen this level of consistency before - nothing is even close to this level.

Those manufacturers who attempt to minimize or doubt the capabilities and/or accuracy of the NFS - even after seeing this comparison, are simply not science based. They do not have to agree with Toole/Olive's research as to what tonal balance sounds best (which has nothing to do with the NFS), but there can be absolutely no argument with regard to the full range accuracy of the NFS.

I am seeing a very slight difference above 16kHz in the Sound Power response, where Erin's measurement bumps up a bit while ours does not. I am confident this is due to microphone differences and not the NFS itself. Still, there is really only about 1dB difference up in this range, a few mm of microphone positioning differences could also cause this.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom