• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Argon Audio Alto 5 mk2

damirj79

Is anyone ever listened to speakers from Argon Audio model Alto 5 mk2 ? They are reasonably priced so I am not expecting much, the manufacturer even offers 30 days refund... But would highly appreciate any experiences from others before jumping in buying them. I of course have alternatives, but just to know where they stand would be nice.

Thank you.

MrFM

I would like that too, since i'm also wanting to buy a passive pair in that price range, and I've not seen any review of them yet.

JaccoW

I have only heard the active version, the Alto A5, in the store while streaming music from my phone. And while they did sound good I found them slightly lacking in the bass department. But 55hz isn't bad. The (also active) Forte A5 were more convincing in that regard but some reviews call those a bit bass-heavy.

Why not go to one of the Hifi-Klubben stores? They are their "house brand" so to speak.

Here is a review of the Active version and the reviewer really liked them.

Last edited:
OP
D

damirj79

I am located in EU and sort of close, but then again far away from any of the hifi-klubben stores. I auditioned then os one of my friend decided to buy them and I also noticed that in bass department are somewhat lacking, but nothing really big deal as it is still only having a 13cm midrange unit. In other area it was OK, sure I do not expect anything like reference level for the price as I am still considering this speakers only to have them installed in the party room. I will listen to them again next week, I will tell more after that. I will also try to measure them and take some photos of internals.

dza

I have listened to them and they sounded dull to me, like tincan speakers. Dali Oberon 3 was disappointing as well I didn't see what the hype was about, all the tones seemed "shifted". B&W 606 S2 Anniversary sounded more neutral, but the treble was not good, it was distorted.

I'd look at something ribbon tweeter.. Like there are good Wharfedale deals with ribbon tweeters or even cheaper Mission LX-2 (but not ribbon tweeter), seems like the best bang for your buck speaker..

Last edited:
OP
D

damirj79

After a week of listening to them, I can say they sound OK, especially not sounding dull to me, but of course not perfect. Their tonal balance is neutral, nothing is over present, but I miss a little more bass below 100Hz. But that is OK also considering the bas unit is 13cm. I will post some FR later. What is more interesting is that crossover is 2nd order on both drivers, nothing special in quality, especially using electrolytic capacitors, but you can rarely see something better in the same price range, most of them having just 1st order crossover or even just a capacitor on tweeter leaving bass speaker running fullrange. Considering the price (150€/pair), I think they are good choice, but it would be best to compare apples to apples and have them evaluated by other members that have measured other speakers too.

OP
D

damirj79

Distance 1m, microphone on axis with tweeter. Speaker positioned 1m above floor. Below 200Hz i would not trust data very much. I have also near field measurements of bas, tweeter and bass reflex port, included also.

Attachments

• aa_alto_mk5_04.jpg
    aa_alto_mk5_04.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 977
  • aa_alto_mk5_09.jpg
    aa_alto_mk5_09.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 687
  • aa_alto_mk5_10.jpg
    aa_alto_mk5_10.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 788
  • aa_alto_mk5_08.jpg
    aa_alto_mk5_08.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 680

JaccoW

Distance 1m, microphone on axis with tweeter. Speaker positioned 1m above floor. Below 200Hz i would not trust data very much. I have also near field measurements of bas, tweeter and bass reflex port, included also.
Awesome. I cannot read these just yet (still reading up on it) but thanks for taking the time to do these measurements. I will do my Forte A5's at the beginning of next year after I order a microphone.

XDM

I've listened to these. They're better than the Dali Spektor 2 which I had at the same time, the Argon Audio Alto 5 Mk2 were way less dull.
However, they do not go loud, at all. Probably ok for a small room. And you need a subwoofer.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ho does it sound comapred to the new Argon forus 4 and 5's ?

More than 1 video with the altos

Top Bottom