• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New speaker line-up for Marantz NR1710

O Akroatís

I am new here but have been reading up on various topics about speakers over the last few days.
We will briefly outline how we currently watch/listen to music (90% streaming) and movies/series.
We own the following components: Panasonic TV_TX-50CX700, Apple TV 4K, Marantz NR1710, Monitor audio Bronze BR1, Radius R225HD(centre, in my opinion not bad at all), 2xRadius R90HD (satellite) + MJ acoustics Pro50 MK2 (upgraded to MK3 by the factory a few years ago)
All speakers are more than 15 years old by now and the BR1 has been externally damaged. We would like to replace the 5.0 speaker setup, only the MJ acoustics we would like to keep.
Initially, we had considered the Sennheiser Ambeo Plus soundbar with the wireless Denon Home 150 Heos as satellite speakers. The advantage of the Sennheiser soundbar is that it can connect the MJ Pro50 but no satellite speakers can be paired.
We were also under the impression that 2 Denon Home Heos 150 speakers could act as wireless satellite speakers to the Marantz NR1710, they can but not in a true 5/7.1 setup. In other words we will have to go back to a passive speaker set but would then also like to expand it to a 7.1 setup (for Dolby Atmos) right away.
We've already discovered some (to me anyway) new brands here after not being interested in new audio for over 15 years.
Polk, Mission, Q Acoustic, Emotiva, Elac, Arendal, Acoustic Energy and good old Wharfedale of course. Ideally, we would like to opt for bookshelfs but these would have to be able to be fitted with on-top Atmos speakers. For floorstanders, there would have to be a talk with the missus first I'm afraid....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I am new here but have been reading up on various topics about speakers over the last few days.
We will briefly outline how we currently watch/listen to music (90% streaming) and movies/series.
We own the following components: Panasonic TV_TX-50CX700, Apple TV 4K, Marantz NR1710, Monitor audio Bronze BR1, Radius R225HD(centre, in my opinion not bad at all), 2xRadius R90HD (satellite) + MJ acoustics Pro50 MK2 (upgraded to MK3 by the factory a few years ago)
All speakers are more than 15 years old by now and the BR1 has been externally damaged. We would like to replace the 5.0 speaker setup, only the MJ acoustics we would like to keep.
Initially, we had considered the Sennheiser Ambeo Plus soundbar with the wireless Denon Home 150 Heos as satellite speakers. The advantage of the Sennheiser soundbar is that it can connect the MJ Pro50 but no satellite speakers can be paired.
We were also under the impression that 2 Denon Home Heos 150 speakers could act as wireless satellite speakers to the Marantz NR1710, they can but not in a true 5/7.1 setup. In other words we will have to go back to a passive speaker set but would then also like to expand it to a 7.1 setup (for Dolby Atmos) right away.
We've already discovered some (to me anyway) new brands here after not being interested in new audio for over 15 years.
Polk, Mission, Q Acoustic, Emotiva, Elac, Arendal, Acoustic Energy and good old Wharfedale of course. Ideally, we would like to opt for bookshelfs but these would have to be able to be fitted with on-top Atmos speakers. For floorstanders, there would have to be a talk with the missus first I'm afraid....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Audioholics reviews speakers and has recommended “best” by price range. For instance: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews just nose around on the website. This ASR website also has recommended speakers based on excellent measured reviews. And then there is Erin’s Corner who does the same: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/

good luck. It is a fun search and journey.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Last edited:
Reactions: MAB
OP
O

O Akroatís

Hi Audioholics reviews speakers and has recommended “best” by price range. For instance: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews just nose around on the website. This ASR website also has recommended speakers based on excellent measured reviews. And then there is Erin’s Corner who does the same: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/

good luck. It is a fun search and journey.
Thank you very much for your first link. We didn't know that one yet. Erin's corner did. I have already looked at many of them. Not always easy to make a judgement because if you don't always understand the technical specs 100% you (i.e. me) start thinking there are no good speakers for a good budget, which is probably not the case.
Since we would also like Atmos speakers we would prefer to put them on the front speakers and not built-in will rather limit the choice. At least for us, it doesn't have to be a 5.0 set from one particular brand but bookshelf's that lean towards the 40cm height is already starting to become hard to accept for us given that we still need an Atmos speaker on top. The biggest problem will also be that we won't be able to listen to speakers in a shop here because there aren't any. So it will have to be good speakers when buying online.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Thank you very much for your first link. We didn't know that one yet. Erin's corner did. I have already looked at many of them. Not always easy to make a judgement because if you don't always understand the technical specs 100% you (i.e. me) start thinking there are no good speakers for a good budget, which is probably not the case.
Since we would also like Atmos speakers we would prefer to put them on the front speakers and not built-in will rather limit the choice. At least for us, it doesn't have to be a 5.0 set from one particular brand but bookshelf's that lean towards the 40cm height is already starting to become hard to accept for us given that we still need an Atmos speaker on top. The biggest problem will also be that we won't be able to listen to speakers in a shop here because there aren't any. So it will have to be good speakers when buying online.
Not listening ahead of time is an issue that is now pretty much a given—especially, on the more expensive speakers. Once you get them in your house, their sound will then become your standard. Visitors may “not” prefer your speakers if they are used to their speakers. Some speaker manufacturers brighten up their midrange and tweeters (Klipsch and B&W). Others are very accurate (neutral/flat) like Revel, JBL & Perlisten and lend themselves well to room correction software. If you stick with highly rated speakers from audioholics and Erins Corner you should feel comfortable in your choice. I could not hear my Perlistens before I bought them, but I trusted the reviews.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The up-firing "Atmos" speakers are not worth the investment as the sound they produce will be impossible to distinguish. They only exist for speaker manufacturers to sell to customers who want a "feel good" option when they see "DD Atmos" on their AVR front panel. If you can't mount proper heights or in-ceiling Atmos drivers, then just stick to a solid 7.1/5.1 bed layer setup.

OP
O

O Akroatís

Not listening ahead of time is an issue that is now pretty much a given—especially, on the more expensive speakers. Once you get them in your house, their sound will then become your standard. Visitors may “not” prefer your speakers if they are used to their speakers. Some speaker manufacturers brighten up their midrange and tweeters (Klipsch and B&W). Others are very accurate (neutral/flat) like Revel, JBL & Perlisten and lend themselves well to room correction software. If you stick with highly rated speakers from audioholics and Erins Corner you should feel comfortable in your choice. I could not hear my Perlistens before I bought them, but I trusted the reviews.
Those Perlistens are nice speakers, but the bookshelfs are already quite on the large (H) side.

OP
O

O Akroatís

The up-firing "Atmos" speakers are not worth the investment as the sound they produce will be impossible to distinguish. They only exist for speaker manufacturers to sell to customers who want a "feel good" option when they see "DD Atmos" on their AVR front panel. If you can't mount proper heights or in-ceiling Atmos drivers, then just stick to a solid 7.1/5.1 bed layer setup.
Yes, I also wondered whether they add much to a 7.1 setup.
"who want a "feel good" option when they see "DD Atmos" on their AVR front panel" that's a nice one! (me too):D
In fact, I have not yet looked into where it is best to install Atmos speakers in a 7.1 setup. Marantz itself prescribes 6 options for their location.

OP
O

O Akroatís

Normally it should not be a problem to place Dolby Atmos speakers above the front speakers just below the ceiling towards the listening position. There is no option on the sides as there is a completely open space on the left and a large sliding window on the right.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Those Perlistens are nice speakers, but the bookshelfs are already quite on the large (H) side.
Are you referring to their Height?

I agree with the member above that the “atmos enabled” speakers that sit on top of your other speakers and “bounce” sound off your ceiling do not work as atmos speakers. https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/atmos-enabled-speakers

Atmos speakers (those producing Dolby atmos sounds during movies) instead should be mounted on/in your ceiling or high on your walls near the ceiling.
This presentation from SVS does a good job of explaining the difference. https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation?g_adtype=search&g_adid=603736452674&g_keywordid=aud-1053056179112:kwd-407215700836&g_acctid=919-192-0664&g_keyword=svs prime elevation&g_campaignid=760424595&g_campaign=Brand+New+-+Products&g_network=g&g_adgroupid=45748366052&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsp6pBhCfARIsAD3GZuZpArSj_uhwwe9eNBNHUQPMt9VPMU9SlwRGF2wR0THqX9pL_B1EXtMaAj0IEALw_wcB
Just because a speaker is called “atmos enabled” does not make that type of speaker (and bouncing placement) a correct representation of what Atmos placement should be.

You should not buy these. But instead buy in ceiling speakers or height speakers and place them above you.

Crutchfield has a good selection: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_101500/In-ceiling-Speakers.html

Last edited:
OP
O

O Akroatís

Are you referring to their Height?

I agree with the member above that the “atmos enabled” speakers that sit on top of your other speakers and “bounce” sound off your ceiling do not work as atmos speakers. https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/atmos-enabled-speakers

Atmos speakers (those producing Dolby atmos sounds during movies) instead should be mounted on/in your ceiling or high on your walls near the ceiling.
This presentation from SVS does a good job of explaining the difference. https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation?g_adtype=search&g_adid=603736452674&g_keywordid=aud-1053056179112:kwd-407215700836&g_acctid=919-192-0664&g_keyword=svs prime elevation&g_campaignid=760424595&g_campaign=Brand+New+-+Products&g_network=g&g_adgroupid=45748366052&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsp6pBhCfARIsAD3GZuZpArSj_uhwwe9eNBNHUQPMt9VPMU9SlwRGF2wR0THqX9pL_B1EXtMaAj0IEALw_wcB
Just because a speaker is called “atmos enabled” does not make that type of speaker (and bouncing placement) a correct representation of what Atmos placement should be.

You should not buy these. But instead buy in ceiling speakers or height speakers and place them above you.

Crutchfield has a good selection: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_101500/In-ceiling-Speakers.html
-Yes indeed (H)eight
-Yes indeed, that was the original plan to place these on the front speakers. Now that we have pointed this out, it would indeed also be possible to use height speakers that can be placed just below the ceiling, above the front speakers. That can be a solution. Real ceiling built-in speakers, preferably not.
-Many thanks for above links. We searching around on it....

OP
O

O Akroatís

Interesting about Dolby Atmos
Dolby's website also provides the option to place Dolby Atmos enabled speakers on the front speakers. I can assume that this is not the best solution compared to speakers placed at height or even better built-in ceiling speakers.
We are going to look at the possibility of setting up a 5.1.2 overhead speaker system.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Interesting about Dolby Atmos
Dolby's website also provides the option to place Dolby Atmos enabled speakers on the front speakers. I can assume that this is not the best solution compared to speakers placed at height or even better built-in ceiling speakers.
We are going to look at the possibility of setting up a 5.1.2 overhead speaker system.
Yes you assume correctly. Dolby first started marketing the Atmos concept (years ago) by trying to make it as easy and cheap as possible—hence the upfiring Dolby “enabled” speakers. Since then years of reviews have proved ceiling and height speakers superior.

OP
O

O Akroatís

We have been a bit preoccupied with putting together a 7.0 system (5.0 + 2 height / in-ceiling speakers) over the last few days.
As mentioned earlier, the MJ acoustics subwoofer will be retained in combination with the Marantz NR1710.
Prices vary quite a bit from €1355 for speaker set 6 to €2067 for speaker set 1.
A better combination/composition of the above components could also be possible of course if any suggestions come up. But the eye also wants something of course that is why we have put together as much brand-oriented as possible.

Speaker set 1
Front: Polk R100
Center: Polk R350
Atmos: Polk R900 / V60 (in-ceiling)
Satellite: Polk Signature Elite ES10

Speaker set 2
Front: Polk Elite ES20
Center: Polk Elite ES35
Atmos: Polk R900 / Polk V60 (in-ceiling)

Speaker set 3
Front: Q Acoustics 3020i
Center: Q Acoustics 3090ci
Satellite: Q Acoustics 3010i

Speaker set 4
Front: Elac DBR62
Center: Elac Debut reference DCR52
Atmos: Elac Debut 6.5” (in-ceiling)
Satellite: Q Acoustics 3010i / Polk Elite ES10

Speaker set 5
Front: Dali Oberon 1 / Opticon 1 MKII
Center: Dali Oberon Grand Vocal
Atmos: Dali Phantom E-60 (in-ceiling)
Satellite: Dali Spektor 1

Speaker set 6
Front: Wharfedale Diamand 12.1
Center: Wharfedale Diamand 12.C
Atmos: Wharfedale Diamond 12.3D / Dali Phantom E-60 (in-ceiling)
Satellite: Wharfedale Diamond 12.1

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
We have been a bit preoccupied with putting together a 7.0 system (5.0 + 2 height / in-ceiling speakers) over the last few days.
As mentioned earlier, the MJ acoustics subwoofer will be retained in combination with the Marantz NR1710.
Prices vary quite a bit from €1355 for speaker set 6 to €2067 for speaker set 1.
A better combination/composition of the above components could also be possible of course if any suggestions come up. But the eye also wants something of course that is why we have put together as much brand-oriented as possible.

Speaker set 1
Front: Polk R100
Center: Polk R350
Atmos: Polk R900 / V60 (in-ceiling)

Speaker set 2
Front: Polk Elite ES20
Center: Polk Elite ES35

Speaker set 3
Front: Q Acoustics 3020i
Center: Q Acoustics 3090ci
Satellite: Q Acoustics 3010i

Speaker set 4
Front: Elac DBR62
Center: Elac Debut reference DCR52
Atmos: Elac Debut 6.5” (in-ceiling)
Satellite: Q Acoustics 3010i / Polk Elite ES10

Speaker set 5
Front: Dali Oberon 1 / Opticon 1 MKII
Center: Dali Oberon Grand Vocal
Atmos: Dali Phantom E-60 (in-ceiling)
Satellite: Dali Spektor 1

Speaker set 6
Front: Wharfedale Diamand 12.1
Center: Wharfedale Diamand 12.C
Atmos: Wharfedale Diamond 12.3D / Dali Phantom E-60 (in-ceiling)
Satellite: Wharfedale Diamond 12.1
Hi again. Slight correction in your system numbering. The first number are the number of bed layer speakers. The second is the number of subwoofers. The third number is for the height/ceiling speakers. So a 7.2.4 system has 7 bed layer speakers, 2 subs and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

Have you found reviews on your above choices from Erin’s Corner, Audioholics or this website for the above speakers which present recommendations based on measurements?

You left off Arendal which are well reviewed by most all measurement-based reviewers.

You also do not mention subwoofers. They add important bass to movies plus allow your amps to better power your LCR by crossing low frequencies over to the subs which have their internal amps.

OP
O

O Akroatís

Hi again. Slight correction in your system numbering. The first number are the number of bed layer speakers. The second is the number of subwoofers. The third number is for the height/ceiling speakers. So a 7.2.4 system has 7 bed layer speakers, 2 subs and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

Have you found reviews on your above choices from Erin’s Corner, Audioholics or this website for the above speakers which present recommendations based on measurements?

You left off Arendal which are well reviewed by most all measurement-based reviewers.

You also do not mention subwoofers. They add important bass to movies plus allow your amps to better power your LCR by crossing low frequencies over to the subs which have their internal amps.
Hello, I'm not sure we understand each other correctly. We had already written that we are going to keep our subwoofer, an MJ acoustic Pro 50 MKIII. So it will be included in one of the above sets anyway. So we are looking for a new set of speakers of 7pcs to replace the Monitor Audio which are all aging.
So we also want to expand our current set to a 5.1.2 composition Dolby.com in place of our current 5.1. This is actually just called a 7.1 system in the user manual of the Marantz NR1710. (5.1 + 2 embled or in-ceiling) 3th picture
So the list of sets compiled above is for a 5.1.2 system, according to Marantz.

Yes we have used the above links like this one, this and this one. And very much reading in other threads here on ASR.

We have definitely considered Arendal but these are not available here (Greek island) or hard to come by. There is also an outlet sale at Arendal for the moment but the bookshelfs 1961 are no longer available for sale online.

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
Hello, I'm not sure we understand each other correctly. We had already written that we are going to keep our subwoofer, an MJ acoustic Pro 50 MKIII. So it will be included in one of the above sets anyway. So we are looking for a new set of speakers of 7pcs to replace the Monitor Audio which are all aging.
So we also want to expand our current set to a 5.1.2 composition Dolby.com in place of our current 5.1. This is actually just called a 7.1 system in the user manual of the Marantz NR1710. (5.1 + 2 embled or in-ceiling) 3th picture
So the list of sets compiled above is for a 5.1.2 system, according to Marantz.

Yes we have used the above links like this one, this and this one. And very much reading in other threads here on ASR.

We have definitely considered Arendal but these are not available here (Greek island) or hard to come by. There is also an outlet sale at Arendal for the moment but the bookshelfs 1961 are no longer available for sale online.
Sorry, missed the earlier mention (or forgot about it). It sounds like you are well on your way to a fun journey of learning, buying and setting up your new system.

OP
O

O Akroatís

Sorry, missed the earlier mention (or forgot about it). It sounds like you are well on your way to a fun journey of learning, buying and setting up your new system.
No problem at all. Thanks for your input!;)
It is a bit of a shame that Arendal bookshelfs are no longer available. We had definitely considered them as front speakers.
As it stands, I think we would like to go for the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker front speakers. For the remaining complement of other speakers, we haven't decided yet. The Elac speakers (set 4 above) is in the slightly above average of the other 5 sets we have put together.

OP
O

O Akroatís

Perhaps the Arendal's were also not the most suitable speakers with 4-ohm impedance for a Marantz NR 1710.

Top Bottom