• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about powered speakers vs passive speakers+amplifier

Ma-ik

Hello everyone

I'm planning to change my JBL soundbar 2.1 I'm currently using with something a little more detailed and pleasant, I was thinking about powered bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer, my use is listening to music (Lossels files, Soundcloud, Bandcamp) only with Bluetooth at the moment (I don't like stretched cables in the living room). The options that have interested me so far:

triangle elara ln01a
klipsch r-50pm/40pm
argon forte a5/a4 mk2

My question is, it is known that these speakers are relatively cheap and the amp/dac they used inside probably has cheap components (?) , maybe something like smsl AO200/AO200 mk2 will have better components and will provide more power and better sound? Then I will be able to choose any speaker and subwoofer that fits the specification..If I go in this direction, I thought of options like:

JBL STAGE A130/A120
KLIPSCH-R-50M/40M
TRIANGLE BOREA BR02
Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1/12.0
Polk Monitor XT15
Polk Signature Elite ES15

so another question, which of the speakers I mentioned will work best with the ao200? not really an expert in matching speakers to an amplifier :)
As for the subwoofer, it is quite open, the budget is no more than 450-500 euros, and I prefer that it not be one of the too deep subwoofers like Klipsch r101sw..

and one last question, as you noticed I mentioned 4-5 inch models, the reason for this is that I am not sure what will be enough for me since I will also have a subwoofer, will 4 inches speakers and subwoofer will be enough in a medium room? (living room 320x330). the kind of music I listen to needs a good punch but this is something that a 10 inches subwoofer will provide regardless of the speaker's woofer size right? I don't listen too loud, usually at a reasonable level, maybe 4 inches would fit nicely?

I would appreciate any advice...

ozzy9832001

I personally like active speakers better myself. I just can't be bothered to piece a system together. They've come along way and are just as good as their passive counterparts. They typically offer many options for connectivity, so they can be moved around or paired with whatever device you need.

Woofer size in the speaker shouldn't be the deciding factor and you won't find too many affordable bookshelf speakers (active or passive) that have larger than a 6" woofer. They still get very good frequency response with nominal distortion. Depending on placement multiple subs could be an option. One crossed high and one low to help free up the speakers woofer.

For subwoofer, honestly, you can get an affordable one that will do the job very nicely and spend the extra on speakers or something like a minidsp to help with sub integration later on.

I just picked up the Jamo 912 for $160 on ebay (brand new, box was dented). Thing is amazing for the value. Shoots down to 29hz, but in my room because of room gain, it goes to 20hz without breaking a sweat. I use a high crossover of 200hz because it's located directly between the speakers. Localization isn't' an issue and it actually adds quite a bit of height to the music. Nasty room modes at the speakers standard height are lessened with the sub playing rather than speakers. My ultimate goal would be 2 subs with 1 crossed from about 100-200hz and another from 20-100.

In the end, you could always get one thing and then a year or 2 down the road sell it off and use that to fund a new purchase. All the speakers you mentioned are quality, so you can't go wrong either way. Really just depends on your budget and space in your room. As I said, active have less components attached to them.

Top Bottom