• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New speaker line-up for Marantz NR1710

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the Elac really do come out well and not just reviewed here on the forum by Erin. Not only are they the most expensive of all the sets but they are also the highest with their 14.13" and there already comes the first problem. Indeed, the second problem could be that the NR1710 does not have enough power to drive these Elacs decently.
My current MA Bronze BR1 is only 10.43" tall.
We also want to keep it a bit discreet for the missus in the new house.
Have you looked into KEF R series, Revel's, Philharmonic BMRs (you can DIY a pair like I have done)? Those tend to measured well and do sound good. Or just use the Elac with the 1710 for a while and save up for a low cost buckeye amp such as the NC252MP eventually.

OP
O

O Akroatís

Have you looked into KEF R series, Revel's, Philharmonic BMRs (you can DIY a pair like I have done)? Those tend to measured well and do sound good. Or just use the Elac with the 1710 for a while and save up for a low cost buckeye amp such as the NC252MP eventually.
Your brands mentioned above are all very far above the set budget. So these are definitely not an option, sorry.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's your budget?

The most important speakers are the LCR - the surrounds are important but significantly less than the LCR. Atmos is becoming more popular and there's some sound on 4k Ultra HD now and shows but it's at the end.

I would make sure that when you upgrade you use your current speakers to make sure you dial in the sound after calibration.

Changing speakers and electronics at the same time is a very risky proposition because you may not be able to isolate the issues unless you keep your old gear. Especially since you have 15 years under your belt as well but there's always the chance that the new calibration improves on your current one.

Where do you hail from?

OP
O

O Akroatís

What's your budget?

The most important speakers are the LCR - the surrounds are important but significantly less than the LCR. Atmos is becoming more popular and there's some sound on 4k Ultra HD now and shows but it's at the end.

I would make sure that when you upgrade you use your current speakers to make sure you dial in the sound after calibration.

Changing speakers and electronics at the same time is a very risky proposition because you may not be able to isolate the issues unless you keep your old gear. Especially since you have 15 years under your belt as well but there's always the chance that the new calibration improves on your current one.

Where do you hail from?
My budget is between €1000 & €2000.($1060 & $2120)
I live in Greece on Crete island.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
5 + 2 height. We keep the sub-woofer. The other ones we gone change

Based in Amir's review/measurements, and his comments "I am happy to give my strongest recommendation for ELAC DBR-62."

If you don't want to stretch you budget, the Elac should be the best of the ones you listed.

techsamurai

Based in Amir's review/measurements, and his comments "I am happy to give my strongest recommendation for ELAC DBR-62."

If you don't want to stretch you budget, the Elac should be the best of the ones you listed.

Okay, I was wrong in saying they're front ported. They are dual ported - front and back. Wowsers...

Is this the same speaker?

It has no rear port but the one on Elac's page does have a rear port and there's no walnut.

So weird...

OP
O

O Akroatís

Yes that's right and the Elac UBR62 (Erin's review) would be even better if I look at its review, but also a little bit more expensive.

OP
O

O Akroatís

Okay, I was wrong in saying they're front ported. They are dual ported - front and back. Wowsers...

Is this the same speaker?

It has no rear port but the one on Elac's page does have a rear port and there's no walnut.

So weird...
The Elac's-Debut-Reference-DBR62 don't have a rear port. They are available in Walnut and/or Oak cabinet.

techsamurai

Yes that's right and the Elac UBR62 (Erin's review) would be even better if I look at its review, but also a little bit more expensive.

Just out of curiosity, why are you upgrading? It sounds like you already have a 5.1 system and the BR1 has been externally damaged but is still working.

Is it for Atmos? Also, why are you upgrading the entire system?

OP
O

O Akroatís

Just out of curiosity, why are you upgrading? It sounds like you already have a 5.1 system and the BR1 has been externally damaged but is still working.

Is it for Atmos? Also, why are you upgrading the entire system?
Yes indeed as described in my first contribution, we now have a 5.1 system. The more than 15-year-old MA-bronze BR1 speakers have suffered external damage from previous moves but still play well. The rest of the speakers are also still in fine condition and still play well.
The reason we would have liked a new system was originally to get Dolby Atmos, this was also why we bought the Marantz NR1710 3 years ago and to have mostly wireless rear speakers.
Very little music is played here these days. The turntable has been sold, all records have been sold, we still have a CD/DVD player but it is also hardly used anymore. Most of it is streamed. So we almost exclusively listen/watch Netflix, AppleTV, YouTube, local television.

Top Bottom