• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New speaker line-up for Marantz NR1710

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes indeed as described in my first contribution, we now have a 5.1 system. The more than 15-year-old MA-bronze BR1 speakers have suffered external damage from previous moves but still play well. The rest of the speakers are also still in fine condition and still play well.
The reason we would have liked a new system was originally to get Dolby Atmos, this was also why we bought the Marantz NR1710 3 years ago and to have mostly wireless rear speakers.
Very little music is played here these days. The turntable has been sold, all records have been sold, we still have a CD/DVD player but it is also hardly used anymore. Most of it is streamed. So we almost exclusively listen/watch Netflix, AppleTV, YouTube, local television.

So you already have a more modern AVR that supports eArc so you don't really need to upgrade it. It's just the speakers, right?

I don't have Atmos speakers so I might be the last person who can advise you on the need to have Atmos. I can definitely understand FOMO (fear of missing out) especially when you're upgrading and I would say why not try it if you can? :)

I do have 2 in-ceiling surround speakers in my basement theater and because they are surrounds they fire a lot more often than Atmos and it's an interesting sensation for sure.

I would try to keep some of your speakers especially your surrounds. Just upgrade the fronts.

Does your AVR work with Audyssey App cause that's the biggest upgrade you can make?

You can gain $5,000 in sound quality there for $20 and I'll explain why.

OP
O

O Akroatís

So you already have a more modern AVR that supports eArc so you don't really need to upgrade it. It's just the speakers, right?

I don't have Atmos speakers so I might be the last person who can advise you on the need to have Atmos. I can definitely understand FOMO (fear of missing out) especially when you're upgrading and I would say why not try it if you can? :)

I do have 2 in-ceiling surround speakers in my basement theater and because they are surrounds they fire a lot more often than Atmos and it's an interesting sensation for sure.

I would try to keep some of your speakers especially your surrounds. Just upgrade the fronts.

Does your AVR work with Audyssey App cause that's the biggest upgrade you can make?

You can gain $5,000 in sound quality there for $20 and I'll explain why.
Yes we definitely want to keep the AVR Marantz NR1710 and Sub-woofer. So the current sourrounds are also from MA radial 90 Monitor Audio Radial
I found them very useful and definitely want speakers back at the back of my seat.
Three years ago we tuned the AVR and speakers with Audyssey. I don't remember using an app for that though, I didn't think so. It worked with a sound calibration microphone Marantz NR1710.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes we definitely want to keep the AVR Marantz NR1710 and Sub-woofer. So the current sourrounds are also from MA radial 90 Monitor Audio Radial
I found them very useful and definitely want speakers back at the back of my seat.
Three years ago we tuned the AVR and speakers with Audyssey. I don't remember using an app for that though, I didn't think so. It worked with a sound calibration microphone Marantz NR1710.

Yeah, the tuning part is the most important aspect of the system because it determines the sound. I always assumed it worked really well but after using 3 AVRs in 1 month, it's a science and there's an app that helps along with a microphone to take measurements and then see what the calibration did and correct it.

Even after major changes, my system with a Denon (which is almost the same as a Marantz) sounds quite different than my old Marantz and it's all because of the calibration. There are a couple of clips I posted in my own topic and you can hear the difference in violins and piano even with bad quality recordings. When it's crystal clear, it's almost like my speakers are made by a different brand and I need to decide if I'm ok with that.

My center sounds much better with the new AVR but my lefts and rights which are massively important for music were completely at the mercy of the calibration.

You may end up with Monitor Audio sound or Bluetooth speaker sound or if you tweak them you may get a completely great EQ which elevates your speakers with eq to the best speakers without eq.

OP
O

O Akroatís

I also wonder if 2 rear satellite surround speakers (e.g. Denon Home 150-HEOS, wireless) would work with wired speakers in a 5.1 (3.1.2) system.
So wired, LCR + sub-woofer + Dolby Atmos + wireless Denon Home 150-Heos speakers combined with my Marantz NR1710.
Could you run this set in sync?

OP
O

O Akroatís

So, the choice was quite difficult. Since there were no BF promotions on Elac speakers in Greece but there were for Dali's we went for a set of Oberon 1 + C. Meanwhile, they have also been delivered.
IMG-9858.jpg

Top Bottom