• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a headphone or speaker user?

Which way do you consume your music?

• I mostly use speakers.

Votes: 238 53.6%
  • I mostly use headphones.

Votes: 109 24.5%
  • I use headphones and speakers equally.

Votes: 97 21.8%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers mainly.
Although I now use headphones more often, due to circumstances...
And I like the SQ I get from the Focal Elegia + RME :)

esm

Forum Donor
I switch back and forth a lot; the main problem is that I live in an apartment, so while I have competent speaker setups in multiple rooms, outside certain hours I just can't use them, and in general I'm a lot more aware of loudness with the speakers (I have a good relationship with my neighbors, and want to keep it that way). So for focused listening, or even just particularly dynamic/soundtrack-heavy movies, I wind up with headphones on at some point.

Plus, travel means headphones, although that's more about silencing the outside world than SQ; I'm basically married to my 1000XM3s when I leave the house.

agtp

Definitely speakers. For me, it’s mostly about situational awareness. Why people purposely handicap themselves while in public spaces is beyond me. I feel little sympathy for the pedestrian who is struck by train/trolley/bus/car while walking/biking/scooting through busy, high traffic areas with headphones/IEM’s. Darwin award nominee, for sure. Be safe, people!

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Childhood- parents’ small speakers
adolescence- headphones
single adult life- speakers
married life- bigger speakers
parenting life- small speakers and headphones
^^^^^ - currently here:
retirement life- ???

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Speakers , tried headphones, but to bulky when lying on sofa , bought “hifi “earplugs in 125 usd range after rave reviews, Utterly useless ****** sound compared to iPhone standard earplugs.

Dogen

Forum Donor
I came across an odd audiophile term the other day - “forensic listening”. That pretty much describes my experience with headphones. I can certainly enjoy them, but speakers seem to weave the performance together into an enjoyable whole, while headphones reveal every unfortunate mix decision and distortion.

Roen

My choice of the day is:
Sierra-2's played off the Sony Receiver
HD6XX played off the KTB / 789
Some chinese IEM's 4 BA + 1 DD Musicmaker Shockwave III's played off the D50 / O2

Decisions decisions

rocknss

Definitely a speaker guy, have them all over the house, garage & patio. However voted 50/50 since I listen to headphones a few hours a day at work., recently picked up a pair of Bowers & Wilkins PX for this purpose.

On the speaker front I made a major leap a couple of months ago to a pair of Legacy Whisper XDS.

cshake

Forum Donor
Voted headphones, as that's how I listen to music most of the day in my cube at work, and what I use at my computer at home (better for positioning in games than an equivalently priced desktop speaker setup, plus my wife and I will often play next to each other, so open headphones win).

I have a 5.1 system in my living room for TV and movies, and my wife and I will often sit on the couch in the evenings and have the TV on, but that's less total time used so I can't say "equally".

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I seem to be in the vast minority here! I prefer headphones. I hear so much live music pumped through massive speakers all the time at my job that I prefer to cut myself off from the rest of the world and get lost in the music. I do have a turntable hooked up to speakers, but I don't get to use it as often as I'd like because it bugs my roommates.

monkeyboy

I use both, but prefer the intimacy of headphones, I seem to enjoy the music more through a pair of cans...

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers. I can't get the 3D imaging with headphones. Headphones for monitoring my Xone4D mix consol. I fear the day that my more or less deaf neighbour of 92 will pass away.

Last edited:

BigVU's

Forum Donor
1565467504049.png

Loudspeakers please. Headphones are not my preference but do have a time and place.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own many sets of headphones. I started with Sennheisers when I was 13, which is almost 30 years ago. They still work, though my wife misplaced them last week. I recently got on a noise cancelling kick and bought over ear Bose and in-ear Sony. I end up listening to audio books on headphones when I sleep, for like an hour+ per day. Then I listen to music in the car on the car stereo, but that's just a 15-20 minute drive. At home? My old stereo is such crap, either from age or lack of room correction, that I can't stand it. Hence me coming here, looking for information.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Speakers. Headphones for live sounding monitoring and checking mixes and every once in a while when traveling. Headphone listening is certainly pleasing enough but much less close to the ideal of recreating a live event at home. Bass from live music is not just in your ears and I have never heard headphones create an expansive sound stage outside my head. I think there is tech coming down the pike that might do that but it won't solve the body sensation problem.

Top Bottom